UNC

Dogbone

7 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Correct.

If he didn’t take the Michigan job, as rumored, he’s not going to UNC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right. But if I had a choice and he wanted I open up the big wallet.I would even throw a NIL deal.

2 hours ago, Lleynor said:

When do names like Taylor, Dake, or maybe Burroughs get thrown in? When do they consider a jump? After the Olympics?

Probably after the Olympic cycle. If I'm an athletic director I'm on the phone now. Planning ahead to add a potential top notch coach. I would sign him now.What order would you put them in.

Probably after the Olympic cycle. If I'm an athletic director I'm on the phone now. Planning ahead to add a potential top notch coach. I would sign him now.What order would you put them in.

Taylor has already coached a couple kids that have impressive results: U17 silver with Kasak, U17 bronze with Ryder, and Haines took 2nd at NCAAs as a barely 18 year old true freshman.

Dake coached Yianni to one degree or another.

JB was at Nebraska off and on.

In terms of hanging it up, JB, Taylor, Dake.

I don’t think Taylor leaves Penn State short of basketball/football coach type money. He’s got too much invested in State College. M2, his wife’s juice bar, and I know he just bought another building.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Taylor has already coached a couple kids that have impressive results: U17 silver with Kasak, U17 bronze with Ryder, and Haines took 2nd at NCAAs as a barely 18 year old true freshman.

Dake coached Yianni to one degree or another.

JB was at Nebraska off and on.

In terms of hanging it up, JB, Taylor, Dake.

I don’t think Taylor leaves Penn State short of basketball/football coach type money. He’s got too much invested in State College. M2, his wife’s juice bar, and I know he just bought another building.

It will be interesting to see where they all end up.  Thats a group of wrestle.rs

I don't think Casey Cunningham was ever offered the Michigan job? Don't get me wrong, would have been a very good move but never heard it was in play and that Bormet was always the guy.

Casey is very good at what he does (among the best), development, scouting, helping his wrestlers make adjustments and cornering but the reality is running a program is a totally different animal. He instantly takes on a CEO role and it'll take away from the technical wrestling aspect that he seemingly enjoys the most. That combined with the fact that Cael has gone out of his way to make sure Casey is paid like he is a HC, that his family loves State College and both his sons will wrestle for him soon, I don't think schools will even try anymore. I heard Asher is going to be very very good. 

Also as for DT, I think he recently did an interview where he said the only college job he would ever want to take is Penn State. Obviously that could just be a hyperbole but I think almost everyone believes he already has a HC in waiting opportunity long term at PSU. I think the key is to watch when he takes an official assistant position on the PSU staff (and Kennedy is reassigned to NLWC) ... I think that indicates he is starting to get groomed for the HC job. Now when he would get it? Hard to tell, Cael literally just turned 44 (scary to think about) and it seems if anything, his best teams (from top to bottom) are coming in the 2020s. That being said, it's possible he might not want to coach until he is very old, he is a hands on coach by all counts (Dan Gable retired at 49 but he had major health issues that prevented him from being hands on). Nobody really knows but him. 

• Fire 2

As for UNC, I don't believe Ramos is their first choice. I don't agree and obviously any school would do their due diligence but seems they are going to seek a guy with HC experience first. Rob Koll would be a slam dunk and Cary Kolat would be solid as well. I think you go all in for Rob Koll (between his development abilities and also his abilities to fundraise) but if not, give the job to Ramos. 

• Fire 1

While I believe Ramos would pick up where Coleman left off, I also believe that a guy like Kolat could take UNC to the upper echelon and make it a destination school in the ACC ready to compete with NC State and Virginia Tech each year.

That said, I don't see anything that Ramos could have possibly done wrong to not get a serious look and for a school like UNC which is basketball then football they might just be looking for a safe pick (like Michigan State).

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, wrestlingest2010 said:

I don't think Casey Cunningham was ever offered the Michigan job? Don't get me wrong, would have been a very good move but never heard it was in play and that Bormet was always the guy.

Casey is very good at what he does (among the best), development, scouting, helping his wrestlers make adjustments and cornering but the reality is running a program is a totally different animal. He instantly takes on a CEO role and it'll take away from the technical wrestling aspect that he seemingly enjoys the most. That combined with the fact that Cael has gone out of his way to make sure Casey is paid like he is a HC, that his family loves State College and both his sons will wrestle for him soon, I don't think schools will even try anymore. I heard Asher is going to be very very good. 

Also as for DT, I think he recently did an interview where he said the only college job he would ever want to take is Penn State. Obviously that could just be a hyperbole but I think almost everyone believes he already has a HC in waiting opportunity long term at PSU. I think the key is to watch when he takes an official assistant position on the PSU staff (and Kennedy is reassigned to NLWC) ... I think that indicates he is starting to get groomed for the HC job. Now when he would get it? Hard to tell, Cael literally just turned 44 (scary to think about) and it seems if anything, his best teams (from top to bottom) are coming in the 2020s. That being said, it's possible he might not want to coach until he is very old, he is a hands on coach by all counts (Dan Gable retired at 49 but he had major health issues that prevented him from being hands on). Nobody really knows but him. 

Good observation. Good insight. Well done.

13 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Lol Cunningham isn’t giving up training world champions to coach at UNC

Kolat would be fine, probably a notch below where UNC is today to be honest. But Ramos is already there. If they do him dirty then he’s probably gone and that recruiting pipeline is going to dry up real quick. I heard he doesn’t mess with double-crossing liars.

Your right. But man that would be a nice pickup. I'm only 60 miles from UNC . I could see going to the matches.

48 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

While I believe Ramos would pick up where Coleman left off, I also believe that a guy like Kolat could take UNC to the upper echelon and make it a destination school in the ACC ready to compete with NC State and Virginia Tech each year.

That said, I don't see anything that Ramos could have possibly done wrong to not get a serious look and for a school like UNC which is basketball then football they might just be looking for a safe pick (like Michigan State).

It will be telling who they pick as head coach. Stay where they are or make a big move to improve.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

At least the school was open and made it very clear to Ramos that he is interim and they are opening up a search (which probably will involved him interviewing as well).  When it is all said and done, it appears as of now at least, that UNC is taking the right steps. They may very well end up with Ramos, but they will have avoided the "just handing it over to him" or "they didn't do their due diligence", etc. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

You have to think Ramos is the front runner.  I would guess they will interview him and see how the season goes, while doing a national search to see if any Homerun hire want the job. 

I doubt they pass over Ramos for another assistant (I don't think Cunningham is viable but I suppose he would be the exception).  

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I know kolat has been in less then ideal situations at Campbell and navy but in reality he’s had 1 AA in 10 years as a head coach , Ramos has been the top on the mat assistant through the best stretch in UNC history I don’t know it’s a given that Kolat is lifting the program higher then Ramos can , and I say this as a huge Kolat fan , one of if not my favorite wrestlers ever , I spent my own money to drive damn near half way across the country to go to one of his camps before my senior yr , that being said I also don’t see him leaving navy , he’s always been a big fan of the military and said he felt honored when he was hired by navy , I could see him wanting to honor the contract he signed 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, wrestlingest2010 said:

I believe he was the only person they gave an interview too before handing it over to Bormet , flo was reporting on it at the time ( when they still had sources and broke news) 

• Fire 1

This probably isn't going to be a great year for UNC.  They haven't recruited exceptionally well the past few cycles.

Ramos by all accounts is a promising young coaching prospect, but he's young.  I would be surprised if they stick with him, and to be honest if they do it's probably a bad sign regarding their commitment to the wrestling program.  

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

This probably isn't going to be a great year for UNC.  They haven't recruited exceptionally well the past few cycles.

Ramos by all accounts is a promising young coaching prospect, but he's young.  I would be surprised if they stick with him, and to be honest if they do it's probably a bad sign regarding their commitment to the wrestling program.  

7 years of college coaching experience including 4 as the associate HC all at the same school seems like a stretch to call him a "prospect."

He of course also has the credentials as a wrestler that everyone seems to want in coaching for some reason too.

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

7 years of college coaching experience including 4 as the associate HC all at the same school seems like a stretch to call him a "prospect."

He of course also has the credentials as a wrestler that everyone seems to want in coaching for some reason too.

Perhaps prospect isn't the right word.  He seems to be a good up and coming coach.  But what exactly has he done that would qualify him for this job over others that might be candidates?  Especially if someone like Koll is a realistic option (I have no idea if he is)?  

They were out of the top 20 recruiting class rankings each of the past two years.  NC State is eating their lunch.  They're likely to finish in the bottom half of the ACC again this year. 

O'Connor was a huge success story, and they've had some other guys wrestle well in the post-season, but is that really enough?

Edited by steamboat_charlie

5 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Perhaps prospect isn't the right word.  He seems to be a good up and coming coach.  But what exactly has he done that would qualify him for this job over others that might be candidates?  Especially if someone like Koll is a realistic option (I have no idea if he is)?  

They were out of the top 20 recruiting class rankings each of the past two years.  NC State is eating their lunch.  They're likely to finish in the bottom half of the ACC again this year. 

O'Connor was a huge success story, and they've had some other guys wrestle well in the post-season, but is that really enough?

I think someone already shared this but this is one reason:

It clearly was enough for OSU to seemingly want Scott to take over for John Smith.

If I’m Ramos, I can’t fault them if they hire Koll or Kolat.  But outside of a big name like that Ramos probably makes the most sense.  Honestly I think Ramos makes more sense for UNC than Scott makes for OSU (as they do have more ability to hire a big name), but maybe that’s a different discussion.

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think someone already shared this but this is one reason:

It clearly was enough for OSU to seemingly want Scott to take over for John Smith.

If I’m Ramos, I can’t fault them if they hire Koll or Kolat.  But outside of a big name like that Ramos probably makes the most sense.  Honestly I think Ramos makes more sense for UNC than Scott makes for OSU (as they do have more ability to hire a big name), but maybe that’s a different discussion.

That's a decent point in their favor.  Koll I think we agree on.  Kolat I'd be less certain of.  Out of curiosity, would you prefer Ramos over guys like Hahn, B. Snyder, Jaggers, or Pendleton?  

I'm also inclined to agree with you re: Scott at OSU.  I don't think he's the answer.  

Question... and I mean no insult here:

Why does anybody in their right mind think Koll would go from Cornell -> Stanford -> Stanford(Oklahoma) -> North Carolina?

At his pay grade he would get a comparable number at best and he is in one of the most fertile recruiting grounds Folkstyle has to offer.

16 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

That's a decent point in their favor.  Koll I think we agree on.  Kolat I'd be less certain of.  Out of curiosity, would you prefer Ramos over guys like Hahn, B. Snyder, Jaggers, or Pendleton?  

I'm also inclined to agree with you re: Scott at OSU.  I don't think he's the answer.  

I really thought(think) Pendleton is a much better answer at OSU.  It is very possible that he was approached and he said "Nah I am happy at OSUW."