2023 Junior Worlds

1 minute ago, Dark Energy said:

Shapiro the only gold medalist for us so far.  Tough battle.  Was down 0-4.  Next scramble got a bit hectic.  Took a long time for corner to stop blood on Shapiro.  Came back to win by 5 (see above).

Really good match. kept his composure. Do you know which college he is going to.

1 minute ago, Paul158 said:

Really good match. kept his composure. Do you know which college he is going to.

Cornell.

USA can't seem to quite the Iranian code at 65kg. Yianni came up short a couple times at the Sr. level, Mendez comes up just short today.

• Fire 2

PNWfan

12 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

I believe it was a TD with an interesting leg hold.  Clear 2.  Then he used the hold to cause a turn.  My view of things.

My guess is you are talking about the “segar” hold initiated by bouzakis off the scramble. The ruling is that the “takedown” and the turn were one action. You can only score once off of an action. He would have had to take him through multiple times to get more than 2 off that action. 

• Fire 2

19 minutes ago, PNWfan said:

Cornell.

USA can't seem to quite the Iranian code at 65kg. Yianni came up short a couple times at the Sr. level, Mendez comes up just short today.

Didn't the Iranian just win a very high level senior tournament. So he is a top level senior.

Side note for those who want their funny bone tickled... the Iranian 97Kg who just won the gold over the Ukrainian, his name is BABALOO... (I'm not making this up!)

tenor.gif

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Anyone know what's up with the non-US competitors just laying there after they lose? Even with the refs yelling at them to get up, they just lay there like dead fish. Are we the weird ones for thinking this is embarrassing? 

No we aren't strange. But it is concerning. Did they just lose a lot of bonus money for not winning? Are they getting sent Siberia? 

6 hours ago, PNWfan said:

Cornell.

Iranian was well coached. Did you notice the right stiff arm that was always extended on Mendez shoulder. It kept Mendez from attacking the right leg. It was very effective.

2 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Anyone know what's up with the non-US competitors just laying there after they lose? Even with the refs yelling at them to get up, they just lay there like dead fish. Are we the weird ones for thinking this is embarrassing? 

19 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

No we aren't strange. But it is concerning. Did they just lose a lot of bonus money for not winning? Are they getting sent Siberia? 

This is very common in Iran and the Stans.  

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, pokemonster said:

12 hours ago, Paul158 said:

12 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

This is very common in Iran and the Stans.  

Oh, I think I know the answer...

Sort-of like what may happen if Borat wasn't successful in getting people to watch his movie:

8c282e05272cc58a402d6a3cd2cb2d48.jpg

D3

• Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

15 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Oh, I think I know the answer...

Sort-of like what may happen if Borat wasn't successful in getting people to watch his movie:

8c282e05272cc58a402d6a3cd2cb2d48.jpg

D3

The Iranians and the Stanis are worrisome. They even have juice in the morning of match ( yes juice and no one stops them). And whats with their nefarious underhook business- I mean that just unholy- coached from a Mephistopheles type deviant club coach- No like we have it from the holy trinity in Pen state..right?

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Window12 said:

The Iranians and the Stanis are worrisome. They even have juice in the morning of match ( yes juice and no one stops them). And whats with their nefarious underhook business- I mean that just unholy- coached from a Mephistopheles type deviant club coach- No like we have it from the holy trinity in Pen state..right?

What kind of juice ? Is it over the counter juice or prescription juice?

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

What kind of juice ? Is it over the counter juice or prescription juice?

Most Iranians like the juice, especially from the fridge variety:

R.b6ba4ef59d6ebb1db0bab5ace6fcac70?rik=%

"Hey, you like the juice, eh? The juice is good, yes?"

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

My guess is you are talking about the “segar” hold initiated by bouzakis off the scramble. The ruling is that the “takedown” and the turn were one action. You can only score once off of an action. He would have had to take him through multiple times to get more than 2 off that action. 

Thanks for this.  I can see this.  I believe I’ve seen TDs that occur and legs are already laced and then a lace turn occurs and  2 points are again given.  Total of 4.  Seemed like this was a similar situation but I’m guessing I’m not appreciating something.

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Thanks for this.  I can see this.  I believe I’ve seen TDs that occur and legs are already laced and then a lace turn occurs and  2 points are again given.  Total of 4.  Seemed like this was a similar situation but I’m guessing I’m not appreciating something.

I was hoping he'd get the 2 and 2. The FRL guys seemed kind of frustrated with Bouzakis' approach during the past two world stage events, suggesting he goes balls to the wall during all of his matches and ends up fading towards the later matches. I can see that as he was dead tired. Hopefully he finds a good balance and fixes this. 

• Fire 1