Campaign finance

Donald Trump's legal fees are eating away at his campaign funds.

Trump's committees and allied Super PAC ended June with $63 million, second to DeSantis' $109 million. Meanwhile, the two entities footing Trump's legal bills ended the month with $4.2 million, about enough to cover one more month of expenses. His legal expenses are expected to be around another $40 million before his cases are through. And he will have to keep spending to win the primary in spite of his current sizeable lead.

Will Trump have enough money left for the general election to defeat Biden who does not need to spend on a primary?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

18 minutes ago, mspart said:

I don't think Trump will be the nominee.  I don't think Biden will be the nominee.  mspart predicts - The contest will look a lot different in a year from now. 

mspart

What do you think will be the mechanism for Biden not running? Do you see a scenario where he steps down, with or without encouragement from his party?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I think you are witnessing it now.   Hunter will be his downfall.   But the D's don't want decrepit Biden in office again.   He is an embarrassment.   Like it or not, but most US citizens want a with it President, not some guy who can barely walk and talk.   The D's don't either.   Do you honestly think that Hunter would be getting so much attention if the Ds really wanted Biden to run?   It will be like Lyndon Johnson, he'll bow out to prevent humiliation.   That's my opinion. 

For Trump, he will continue to shoot off his mouth and turn people away from him.   He will show how toxic he is and with the indictments against him, there is too much baggage.   They keep piling up.   Now maybe he is the nominee, but that is far from what I want.  I was wrong in 2016 when I thought he was a sideshow freak.   He actually won.   I don't think lightning will strike twice.   There are too many "anyone but Trump" voters out there. 

mspart

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What do you think will be the mechanism for Biden not running? Do you see a scenario where he steps down, with or without encouragement from his party?

falls down

• Fire 1

It will be Newsom/Obama in some order, and it will be after Biden wins the nomination, so the DNC can insert them onto the ballot without either being in the primaries. RFK will likely (haha.. definitely) sue.

Edited by DJT

3 minutes ago, mspart said:

Can Obama run even as VP if there is a chance he can be POTUS afterwards?  He's done his two terms.  

mspart

I’m referring to the one who wears the pants in the family.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

The two terms is only consecutively. A person can be president for more than two terms, just not in a row. 

That’s Russia, comrade. 

The 22nd amendment prohibits any person from being elected to the office of President more than twice.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Can Obama run even as VP if there is a chance he can be POTUS afterwards?  He's done his two terms.  

mspart

To answer your question, no, Barrack can’t run as VP due to a combination of the 12th and 22nd amendments. The 12th prohibits anyone who is not constitutionally eligible to hold the office of President from holding the office of Vice President. Due to being ineligible to be President via the 22nd amendment, he cannot be vice President via the 12th amendment.

1 hour ago, mspart said:

mspart

My reading of the constitution (as a rank amateur) is that a Speaker could be president for an infinite number of partial terms, provided the President and VP keep abandoning their office.  Even if said speaker is a two term President.

Edited by Plasmodium

6 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I stand corrected. I’ve always thought that limited it to consecutively. Grover Cleveland f***ed me up. 

No worries… it’s only the 22nd amendment… It can’t be that important. 

Side note, isn’t it sort of peculiar that there was a prohibition on alcohol (18) then we gave women the right to vote (19) then immediately decided we needed booze again (21)?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

My reading of the constitution (as a rank amateur) is that a Speaker could be president for an infinite number of partial terms, provided the President and VP keep abandoning their office.  Even if said speaker is a two term President.

Yeah,  that’d be one the SC would have to make a decision on. Likely they’d just skip the SOH and put the President Pro Tempore in as President and the Secretary of State in as VP.

28 minutes ago, DJT said:

No worries… it’s only the 22nd amendment… It can’t be that important. 

Side note, isn’t it sort of peculiar that there was a prohibition on alcohol (18) then we gave women the right to vote (19) then immediately decided we needed booze again (21)?

ITS 

FUNNY

CUZ

ITS

TRUUUUUUUE

• Haha 1