Another Round Of Trying To Forgive Loans

Bigbrog

30 minutes ago, DJT said:

First off, I said performance art history, sort of assuming it isn’t even a real degree. I should’ve just said under water basket weaving to be clear, I just meant a degree without a high enough earning potential to warrant $130k of debt.

$130K of debt? Again you are grasping at the craziest of extremes to make your points. This is nothing new and something you can't get away from. Your whole mantra is that there is someone that will take advantage of this at a stupid extreme and thus no one can have it. You have no clue about the people that are affected by this, but just assume they all have $100k debt, have a crappy degree(your opinion), buy Teslas with their tax returns, and vote DEMONcrat. 

Second, I have no idea about this loan forgiveness. If they are trying to address a government f’up, well, that’s a good thing. If they are doing creative accounting to make it appear there was an f’up (or cover more than the actual f’up), then that’s not a good thing. Again, I have read nothing about this. My “loan forgiveness” is more of a universal idea, aside from whatever the current thing is.

Go read up on it then before you criticize it. 

Third, I do think it is insane to loan someone as much money for an art history degree as for an engineering degree. There is a ridiculous amount of information out there (that the government has undoubtedly already collected), that could be analyzed to come up with some sort of lending algorithm. Base it off the median salary of holders of specific degrees and the country’s need/ the job outlook for people with those degrees.

A quick google search says the average Art History major's earning is just under $80k a year per ZipRecruiter and $56k per year on Comparably. It's not as bad of a degree as  you paint it to be, but go on.

Average Student Loan Debt in the United States

• $1.75 trillion in total student loan debt (including federal and private loans)
  • $28,950 owed per borrower on average
  • About 92% of all student debt are federal student loans; the remaining amount is private student loans
  • 55% of students from public four-year institutions had student loans
  • 57% of students from private nonprofit four-year institutions took on education debt

Sources: Federal Reserve, The Institute for College Access and Success, College Board, MeasureOne

States with Highest and Lowest Average Student Debt

Highest debt states Lowest debt states
New Hampshire $39,928 Utah $18,344
Delaware $39,705 New Mexico $20,868
Pennsylvania $39,375 California $21,125
Rhode Island $36,791 Nevada $21,357
Connecticut $35,853 Wyoming $23,510

wonder how many GOVT employees, lobbyists etc in this group

Average Student Loan Debt by State

The national average balance of federal student loan borrowers is $35,210. The five states and territories with the highest balance are as follows:

1. Washington, D.C. $54,708.52

2. Maryland. $42,350.91

Average Student Loan Debt by Age

Student loan debt is usually associated with young adults, with those 24 and younger having the lowest average balances. Average balances also increase by age group, with those 62 and older having the highest balance.

Age group Average balance
24 and younger $13,722.22
25 to 34 $32,707.48
35 to 49 $44,441.67
50 to 61 $47,660
62 and older $49,375

2 hours ago, BobDole said:

$130K of debt? Again you are grasping at the craziest of extremes to make your points. This is nothing new and something you can't get away from. Your whole mantra is that there is someone that will take advantage of this at a stupid extreme and thus no one can have it. You have no clue about the people that are affected by this, but just assume they all have $100k debt, have a crappy degree(your opinion), buy Teslas with their tax returns, and vote DEMONcrat. 

Every day there is another article on Yahoo with some 30-something year old with $100k in student loan debt who feels betrayed or helpless due to the “forgiveness” being quashed. Obviously, not everyone owes that much, and, honestly, I’m not really sure how much $10-20k would help those specific people, anyhow.
As far as cars go, there is an impending crisis ahead with auto loans, specifically due to the 20-29 and 30-39 age brackets being 90 days or more past due on $20 Billion in auto loans. This will undoubtedly go up when student loan repayment kicks in.

Go read up on it then before you criticize it. 

I haven’t once criticized this current “forgiveness” plan. I simply stated, if it is to fix an error, great. If it’s to pull “a fast one”, not so great.

A quick google search says the average Art History major's earning is just under $80k a year per ZipRecruiter and $56k per year on Comparably. It's not as bad of a degree as  you paint it to be, but go on.

I meant to stick with my fictional performance art history, but you got art history in my head. Either way, do those numbers show the whole picture? Are they average salaries for all art history majors or are they the average salaries for people with jobs that require an art history major? Are the art history degree jobs invariably in high cost of living markets? It shows the highest average salary being in SF at $84k, where the average house costs over $1.28 million. Raw numbers here alone do little good; they would need to be weighted and compared accordingly. Lastly, does the country need more art history majors at this time? Are there already 10,000 people with art history degrees but only 1,000 available jobs? I don’t know. This is all information that’s out there, and someone who loves statistics and making algorithms could definitely compile all of this and come up with a method for more mindful lending practices, both for the benefit of the borrower and the country as a whole.

To close this out, I’m more interested in actual solutions to the student loan problem, not just throwing good money after bad. Forgiving $10-20k isn’t even a bandaid, and there would be repercussions to doing so, from increased inflation to increased interest rates on student loans in the future, as loan servicers will have to factor in their lost revenue and the potential (likelihood) of further forgiveness and lost revenue in the future. Student loan forgiveness isn’t victimless- Jobs will be lost and lives upended. 

• Fire 1

Does anyone on the left believe in personal accountability? 

every fuckin issue you sympathize with is an excuse or bail out. 

mostly white cucks. 

learn how to think rationally, and what's best for citizens long term.

the left's platform is now a fully devolved santa list of morons

TBD

Does anyone on the left believe in personal accountability? 
every ***duck duck goose**in issue you sympathize with is an excuse or bail out. 
mostly white cucks. 
learn how to think rationally, and what's best for citizens long term.
the left's platform is now a fully devolved santa list of morons

Excuses and bail outs, eh? Conservative economic policy in a nutshell. Wealth redistribution from blue to red.

I would prefer that I keep more of my (blue state) tax dollars in-state instead of bailing out red states. Particularly the south.

Unfortunately, they have a laundry list of excuses, such as, “We’re fat, drunk, have the worst educational systems by far and can’t get by without blue state tax dollars. Woe is me. Send me more money, blue states/Federal government, for I am poor.”

Hopefully the federal government doesn’t bail Florida out when the next big one hits. ***duck duck goose** ‘em. Their inflation rate is more than twice the national average, the two largest insurers just pulled out and illegal immigrants are scared to work there. Let that dump fester and rot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Le duke said:

***duck duck goose** ‘em. Their inflation rate is more than twice the national average, the two largest insurers just pulled out and illegal immigrants are scared to work there. Let that dump fester and rot.

Can’t say I care for this sentiment too much. 

Can’t say I care for this sentiment too much. 

And that’s why describing “the left” or “the right” or lumping any whole group of people together is problematic. No one has the exact same views on everything.

It’s lazy. Do I still do it? Yeah, on occasion.

11 hours ago, Le duke said:

Excuses and bail outs, eh? Conservative economic policy in a nutshell. Wealth redistribution from blue to red.

I would prefer that I keep more of my (blue state) tax dollars in-state instead of bailing out red states. Particularly the south.

is that why so many are moving to florida.. and texas.. to pick up that money? b/c there isn't enough where they came from? 

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

really? i think thats a good thing isn't it... 

It wouldn't be a bad thing if no one else would do the construction, landscaping, and other manual labor. All those retirees don't want to work any more. 

13 hours ago, Le duke said:

Unfortunately, they have a laundry list of excuses, such as, “We’re fat, drunk, have the worst educational systems by far and can’t get by without blue state tax dollars. Woe is me. Send me more money, blue states/Federal government, for I am poor.”

Hopefully the federal government doesn’t bail Florida out when the next big one hits. ***duck duck goose** ‘em. Their inflation rate is more than twice the national average, the two largest insurers just pulled out and illegal immigrants are scared to work there. Let that dump fester and rot.

what red states take blue state tax dollars?

florida has a surplus fwiw

TBD

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

It wouldn't be a bad thing if no one else would do the construction, landscaping, and other manual labor. All those retirees don't want to work any more. 

is there any substance to this narrative? it's oft repeated by liberals that try to mitigate the open border lunacy.

don't get me wrong, if illegaas can find wok good for them.

but "America would be stuck if we didn't have illegal immigrants" is something i just aint buying

TBD

15 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

is there any substance to this narrative? it's oft repeated by liberals that try to mitigate the open border lunacy.

but "America would be stuck if we didn't have illegal immigrants" is something i just aint buying

I can tell you an observation from ‘the street’…..not any data or anything left/right, and not a joke….

But I live in a city with a whoooooole lot of constructing going on, and I’m getting through the 6am stop at 7-11 a lot quicker the last month.  

what red states take blue state tax dollars?
florida has a surplus fwiw

If you’re so incredibly ignorant as to the transfer of wealth from blue to red states, maybe you shouldn’t be so confident making statements like the one I quoted previously.

Federal dependency, man. It’s a thing. And easily looked up by anyone with an interest in knowing the truth of a matter rather than making statements out of ignorance.

Here’s a helpful hint: of the 20 most federally dependent (e.g., tax dollars from others) states, 14 of them are regarded as “red” states.

The five least federally dependent states are Utah, Illinois, California, Washington and New Jersey. They send wealth to other states and get far less back than they contribute.

You think the average Floridian is working cane fields? Really?

9 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I can tell you an observation from ‘the street’…..not any data or anything left/right, and not a joke….

But I live in a city with a whoooooole lot of constructing going on, and I’m getting through the 6am stop at 7-11 a lot quicker the last month.  

On the other side of things…I should add…we had a crew at our house for a week and a half, finished last week, of the five only one spoke any level of English.   We have another one man job coming out Wednesday, he had to bring someone to translate when he quoted. 

Now, does not mean they are illegal…but again observations from “the street”

14 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

No one is exactly thrilled about illegal immigrants coming in here ILLEGALY. However, without them doing a lot of low level labor our country would have trouble in industries such as construction and agriculture. Contrary to popular belief most illegal and legal immigrants work their butts off at low paying jobs to survive here. 

Florida especially has a lot of construction projects going on at all times. That is new construction and disaster relief repair. On top of that fruit farmers and such employ immigrants. The current DeSantis policies are going to hamper these jobs tremendously. If a big hurricane hits you'll see it even more issues in Florida.