2024 President Candidate Discussion

jross

On 7/26/2023 at 8:34 AM, Plasmodium said:

Not as funny as listening to people who refuse to read the dictionary................

any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire. also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire.

so none of the weapons are assault rifles can be set for auto. 

and the second part is very telling... LOOK's like a military weapon

10 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Wait - but if you "read a dictionary" ... and "the dictionary describes pretty much every semi-automatic gun out there" ... which you've clearly said... doesn't it follow that you'd know an awful lot about guns?

Just going by your logic. As I've already posted, I'm no weapons expert. Nor have I claimed to be.

that is apparent... yet you argue like you have facts 

• Clown 1

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Who are "we"? Count me out... not in your group.

Referring to the US Army for solid definitions? A lot of those date back to WW2 or earlier... count me out on that idea.

As we've beaten the "sporting rifle" thing to death already... count me out. That horse is sufficiently battered.

Maybe discuss with Bigbrog what you found on the internet... that will probably go well.

well.. could we at least look at what they use? ;

NONE has an ar 15 in battle

MANY used shotguns in vietnam...

48 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

We are speaking English!  The dictionary IS reality, whether it fits your narrative or not.

you will note... the dictionary has changed to 'suit' what certain people want.

I am not saying that is the case here... you definition works very well, just not the way you think

but to think that the dictionary couldn't be corrupted is naive

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You have me confused with GWN. I do not hang any of my arguments on what AR stands for.

no.

your partial list was in response to MILITARY grade weapons 

I would not agree with that either and there is much about the NRA I disagree with, they go way to far in shooting down many reasonable changes.

I do wonder though, what are the "military grade weapons" you speak of?

I am saying that NONE Of those are military grade if they aren't select fire.

19 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

you will note... the dictionary has changed to 'suit' what certain people want.

I am not saying that is the case here... you definition works very well, just not the way you think

but to think that the dictionary couldn't be corrupted is naive

Not certain people.  The dictionary changes to match the definition of words.  Woke, for example.

21 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

no.

your partial list was in response to MILITARY grade weapons 

I would not agree with that either and there is much about the NRA I disagree with, they go way to far in shooting down many reasonable changes.

I do wonder though, what are the "military grade weapons" you speak of?

I am saying that NONE Of those are military grade if they aren't select fire.

It was a mistake to say military grade because then the strategy becomes to pick apart and parse the definition rather than discuss the issue (see the reams of posts about the definition of AR). 

So let us call them US Mass Shooter Grade as the list I shared were the guns used in some of the top 12 most deadly mass shootings in the US. It seems like the most basic of common sense to review the list of preferred weapons of mass shooters in this country and then eliminate them. Yes, a mentally ill person will find another way to express their illness, but it will not be their preferred, which is presumably most efficient, way to do so. And I agree that the issue is often mental illness which needs to be addressed, but it is a fool who thinks the problem should not also be addressed at the gun level.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

It was a mistake to say military grade because then the strategy becomes to pick apart and parse the definition rather than discuss the issue (see the reams of posts about the definition of AR). 

So let us call them US Mass Shooter Grade as the list I shared were the guns used in some of the top 12 most deadly mass shootings in the US. It seems like the most basic of common sense to review the list of preferred weapons of mass shooters in this country and then eliminate them. Yes, a mentally ill person will find another way to express their illness, but it will not be their preferred, which is presumably most efficient, way to do so. And I agree that the issue is often mental illness which needs to be addressed, but it is a fool who thinks the problem should not also be addressed at the gun level.

Like I said before, the Hi-Point C9 is the most common weapon used in mass shootings. Do we ban all 9mm handguns?

• Fire 1

I understand...a little...your logic here, but what is missed is the VAST majority of gun owners who own AR style rifles (like 99.999999999999%) are not mentally ill and should have every right to own one whether people don't understand why they would.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

i agree. why haven't we gotten the nashville shooters manifesto yet...

• Fire 1

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

My focus is on lethality over commonality.

If you take the hundreds of mass shootings with handguns and compare them to the several with AR’s each year, there are far, far more deaths by the former.

Yes, you’ll hear about the few mass shootings with AR’s each year, while you don’t hear a peep about the 3-4 each week using 9mm’s in Chicago alone. Pretty sure you were just saying heart issues in healthy young men aren’t any more prevalent, they’re just being reported on more. That reasoning works for you there, but not here?

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I posted said definition for everyone's viewing pleasure.  You can choose not to read it but you can't deny it's existence.

Who denied its existence?  You are denying that you know nothing about guns.  You can't even describe guns based on your woke dictionary definition.

14 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I understand...a little...your logic here, but what is missed is the VAST majority of gun owners who own AR style rifles (like 99.999999999999%) are not mentally ill and should have every right to own one whether people don't understand why they would.

I agree with this. I also believe there are sporting ventures using these weapons that do not include killing animals either. And I believe they are legitimate reasons to own. 

What do you believe is a relative time frame for me to be able to apply to own one of these, to actually receiving one of these?  When we combine my right to own with societies duty to protect its people, what do you think is a reasonable wait time?