Budapest Ranking Tournament

The Long & Short of it... 55Kg GR bronze medal match was won by the Georgian... who seems to be just barely over 5' tall over a tall Kazak who must be over 5'7"  by a score of 5-2.

D3

• Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Oh, by the way... I looked on the UWW site for this Budapest tournament, and looked at the medal winners, especially w/ the women in question.

Individual Neutral Athletes, or in that foreign syntax of things, Athletes, Individual Neutral/AIN... but I got to hand it to you for finding that region in France... good find, sir!

D3

• Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

So what happened at 76 KG?  I mean no shade here, but Flo was adamant about our Top 5 there to be AS GOOD AS GOLD.  They even went further to say that no matter which of the five ladies won our 76 KG spot would have been the 76 KG Golr favorite.

One of them went 0W - 2L on the day and the other, while going 4W - 1L and taking Brinze wasn't close to be competitive in her 12-1 (5M21S) Tech loss to the eventual Gold medalist.

What gives?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Here's what I cannot understand... there's seem to be a plethora of Russian or Russian-related (or in the region surrounding Russia) wrestlers showing up in other countries wrestling for the likes of all places ITALY or FRANCE?

Where any US wrestlers, if they were to wrestle for another country, would have to have some relative RELATION connection to be able to compete.

What gives?

I'm waiting for some Russian to show up for the likes of Ireland (oh gosh 'n begorra-ski.)

D3

Meanwhile Joe Rau just rolled the Iranian for a TF 10-1... but the Iranian got hurt while getting gut wrenched while his right arm was trapped underneath him... OUCH!

D3

• Fire 2

For the ILLINI RTC, Kamal Bey is into the Semis. Had a win over the Iranian Junior World Champ from a couple years back, then beat a Czech, and most recently, the Georgian. The Bey Bomb came against the Czech. 

Zac Braunagel had a first-round match against an Olympic medalist and World Champ from Azerbaijan. He lost 1-2, but did an incredible job. He belongs there. 

IRTC-adjacent Joe Rau lost in the quarters, but won today as well. 

... And before I could finish typing this up, Kamal Bey beats the Hungarian in the semis and will be a FINALIST! Dang, they're wrestling'em faster than I can watch'em! 

• Fire 1

Yes, indeed!

Missed Bey's SF while I was watching Sancho Sf loss. What Mat did he wrestle on? They're mixing up the wt.cl. vs Mat assignment (it was one wt.cl. to one mat... )

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Yes, indeed!

Missed Bey's SF while I was watching Sancho Sf loss. What Mat did he wrestle on? They're mixing up the wt.cl. vs Mat assignment (it was one wt.cl. to one mat... )

D3

I'm sorry, but I forgot. I wouldn't have known it was about to happen except I left the video running, and I heard the announcement of his match. Cheers!

• Fire 1

77Kg bronze medal match between the Finn & Georgian... a slick slide by, by the Georgian transitioning into a lift for another 2pts. The Georgian is lanky for 77kg.

Nice.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Walking wounded  wrestling for bronze 77Kg between Hungary & Iran... both w/headwraps.

Iran won 1-1 criteria.

Meanwhile, the Lanky Georgian won handedly 7-0 for bronze in that other bout.

Bey now wrestling for gold...

D3

• Fire 1

Last medal chance for the USA... Woods up for bronze vs the Georgian @ 82Kg.

He gets tossed for 4points annnnnnnnnd... he gets pinned.

(THAT was a viscous headlock!)

That's all for the Americans, Folks.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Well I know ( for Greco ) that this isn’t the results that we had hoped for, but I think that there was some bright spots with Bey’s Silver medal, and other guys picking up some wins here and there and battling tough. Hopefully these guys can find something to build on. 

• Fire 2

51 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Too much for Bey... tried a Hail Mary headlock for 4 but no dice. 4-1 to the Azerbaijani.

Bey gets the silver.

D3

Kamal Bey looked fantastic in this tournament. So excite! He is dynamic and quick, and he's gotten smart and savvy as well. I don't have a deep base of knowledge about Greco, but if there's anybody better at slipping a gut wrench or a lift, and then turning it into his own points, I'd like to meet that man. Oh, I almost forgot power. The winning takedown he had against Iran looked like a truck hit him. That Iranian has to have whiplash.

We also got treated to a nice Bey Bomb. 

Joe Rau beat an Iranian. He has a powerful gut wrench, and teched him with it. If he gets his gas tank in order, he could be very dangerous. Thing is, he's also a comedian doing Improv Comedy in Chicago. He's got a day job ... er night job in other words. 

Finally, Zac Braunagel had a tough, tough draw. He faced a World Champion/Olympic medalist from Azerbaijan. Zac was big time in it until the end, though, losing 1-2. Moreover, he tired the guy out so he couldn't advance and pull Zac back in. The Metcalf story. 

In any event, I appreciated your real time coverage of all the things that I missed. Cheers! 

• Fire 2