2023 World Team

Ragu

Just now, Pinnacle said:

People have doubted Nick Lee for a long time. Not sure why. I would guess that NLWC will have a plan for anyone, including Musakaev. 

I don’t doubt Lee. I doubt every 65 that we send out.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

i am an idiot on the internet

People have doubted Nick Lee for a long time. Not sure why. I would guess that NLWC will have a plan for anyone, including Musakaev. 

I think he’s great. Do I think he needs a lot more reps at international tournaments? Yeah, absolutely.

I was just shocked (horrified?) that he had no clue what to do with Musukaev. I don’t think he was straight up out-classed; he’s beaten people that have beaten Musukaev. But he dropped the ball there, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

Zane Richards is now 3-0 against last year's Silver and Bronze World Championship medalists. The combined match points were 22-9 in his favor.

There appeared to be no problem with the cut at Final X. He beat the Iranian at the World Cup. No weight/gas issues there.

Zane's in a very good place right now.

The Albanian (former Russian) World Champion will be a problem, but he is almost a genetic duplicate of Richards. He could be Zane's older, uglier, slightly thicker-legged brother.

So excite!

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

Yianni damn near lost to Musakaev it was 9-0 before Musa gassed.  Musa destroys alot of people in the first 3 minutes then gasses.  Nick doesn't gas.  I wouldn't doubt if they wrestle again that it would be different.  

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Why won’t Chance or Zahid medal?  Didn’t Chance beat someone from Iran or something?  And don’t a lot of the international guys have similar gas tank issues as Zahid?

Chance beat the Iranian Ali Savadkouhi last year in the tournament in Tunisia then Savadkouhi beat Buroughs in the world cup.   Chance should be a favorite to medal.  

I think Marstellar will have a decent shot to medal, he has a decent freestyle background and I think 79kg won't be strong this year (non-olympic weight the year before Olympics). If I'm not mistaken, chance made a cadet world team and was doing well at worlds before blowing out his elbow (dislocation maybe?).

Curious to see if we get Gable vs. Zare at this year's WC's. I saw Gable's interview where he was asked about possible matchups against Petriashvili/Akgul, but I think the 125kg that would actually be the toughest matchup right now for Gable is Zare. I'd still expect Gable to win, but Zare does have that relentless, push forward Iranian style (if he doesn't gas) that would be a different look for Gable.

PNWfan

wanted to get some thoughts discussion started on the world teams. I don't know much of anything about greco but trying to become a more all around fan.

55 Brady Koontz - Has junior and U23 World Teams so he has experience. 

60 Ildar Hafizov - won some matches and was top ten at worlds, hopefully he can build on that. 

63 Xavier Johnson - Sorry I don't know much here!

67 Alejandro Sancho - returning world team member, won a match last year. 

72 Pat Smith - Believe he has been on 3-4 world teams now. Hopefully his experience will help!

77 Kamal Bey - Seems like he hasn't competed in a while, but he is fun to watch. Hope he can finally get a medal.

82 Spencer Woods - I don't know much about him!

87 Zach Braunagel - Lets hope he can do to everybody at worlds what he did to Vera!

97 Joe Rau - former world team member, always good to have experience. 

130 Colton Schultz - Back again, won a match last year really hoping he can medal. 

1 hour ago, d3grappler said:

wanted to get some thoughts discussion started on the world teams. I don't know much of anything about greco but trying to become a more all around fan.

55 Brady Koontz - Has junior and U23 World Teams so he has experience. 

60 Ildar Hafizov - won some matches and was top ten at worlds, hopefully he can build on that. 

63 Xavier Johnson - Sorry I don't know much here!

67 Alejandro Sancho - returning world team member, won a match last year. 

72 Pat Smith - Believe he has been on 3-4 world teams now. Hopefully his experience will help!

77 Kamal Bey - Seems like he hasn't competed in a while, but he is fun to watch. Hope he can finally get a medal.

82 Spencer Woods - I don't know much about him!

87 Zach Braunagel - Lets hope he can do to everybody at worlds what he did to Vera!

97 Joe Rau - former world team member, always good to have experience. 

130 Colton Schultz - Back again, won a match last year really hoping he can medal. 

@LJB in with the fill ins???

28 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

maybe not reaching the category of 'vet'......but our hwt has some international experience.

Agreed... I just think of "vet" as 2 or more. Then again, he's been going to worlds for approximately the past 12 years and I've gone zero times so I should not considered a SME.

ugh...

schultz is looking better domestically... not sure if beating this version of coon means anything, but, he did it...

the army guys all looked "better"...

i had thought Ildar looked tired going into the Final X and was very surprised he ended up on the team... he rips my heart out every time internationally... i feel like he has had all the skill necessary to medal, but, seems like he freezes up a bit on the big stage... but i am always rooting for him...

bey was on suspension for awhile... on the army team and looks more focused than he has ever been... no better athlete in the sport, so, if the army has him more centered he is always a threat in any match with his athleticism...

hopefully sancho learned a much needed lesson letting a 17 year old kid toss him on his head and losing his shit afterwards... he is scrappy...

xavier is a wild card... was out of competition for a minute and  injured in vegas... i did not expect him to make the team but he did the damn thing...

the rest i fear will be there mostly for the experience...

• Fire 2

20 minutes ago, LJB said:

ugh...

schultz is looking better domestically... not sure if beating this version of coon means anything, but, he did it...

the army guys all looked "better"...

i had thought Ildar looked tired going into the Final X and was very surprised he ended up on the team... he rips my heart out every time internationally... i feel like he has had all the skill necessary to medal, but, seems like he freezes up a bit on the big stage... but i am always rooting for him...

bey was on suspension for awhile... on the army team and looks more focused than he has ever been... no better athlete in the sport, so, if the army has him more centered he is always a threat in any match with his athleticism...

hopefully sancho learned a much needed lesson letting a 17 year old kid toss him on his head and losing his shit afterwards... he is scrappy...

xavier is a wild card... was out of competition for a minute and  injured in vegas... i did not expect him to make the team but he did the damn thing...

the rest i fear will be there mostly for the experience...

Thanks, like I said my greco knowledge isn't the best...but I'm trying to become a bigger fan!

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, d3grappler said:

Thanks, like I said my greco knowledge isn't the best...but I'm trying to become a bigger fan!

it is hard to be a fan of greco in this country when our governing organization at best totally ignores it and at worst actively sabotages...

couple that with it being much more competitive internationally than the other style...

couple that with it being somewhat arbitrary in nature...

but...

as always...

Tichina Arnold Hope GIF by Martin

On 6/11/2023 at 9:14 AM, bnwtwg said:

Retherford, Snyder, and Taylor are the only vets. I have a bad feeling it may be a down year even without Russia.

4 medals, 2 golds.

4 medals and 2 golds would have been a pipe dream in the Gatsalov, Batirov, Saitiev, et al era.

• Fire 1

55 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

4 medals and 2 golds would have been a pipe dream in the Gatsalov, Batirov, Saitiev, et al era.

And today our pipe dream is significantly higher with 10 medal match appearances / 8 medals / 4+ golds. It won't happen but the mental justification is very easy to achieve - especially with no Russia or Belarus.

57 Richards makes a medal match appearance after taking out the reigning silver medalist

61 Arujau wrestles for a medal because he's ascending and we have rose-colored glasses and non-olympic weight the year before OLYs

65 Lee is a favorite to medal because he just took out the reigning silver medalist

70 Zain has been bumped up to gold match favorite since the reigning world champ jumped ship to greco

74 Dake repeats as world champ

79 Marstellar just took out the reigning world champ

86 Taylor is again the gold favorite

92 Zahid makes a medal match appearance because in our minds being a very close 3rd on the 86 ladder in the US is still better than most of the world at 86 or 92

97 Snyder is the prohibitive gold favorite

125 Steveson is the gold favorite, again due to rose-colored glasses stemming from a tournament two years ago

• Fire 1

I’m calling a crazy upset, I think Zahid finds his way to a bronze.  He has things that most 92’s have never seen.  Sneaky dark horse when he does to make the finals and push a tired taylor if life gets too successful and interesting for david outside wrestling. 

55 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

- especially with no Russia or Belarus.

Are we headed for an ‘84 round two in the upcoming olympics?

As a wrestling fan obviously I hope not, but wrestling is not THAT important compared to an actual war.

Maybe this is the opportunity for a massive coup, and random small countries can pull major talent and field the whole team from Dagestan.  We don’t actually care what country they rep do we? Just want to see the best in the sport go out and perform.  

I first noticed this trick with adam batirov, it must be tough to be so good but have your brother be mavlet, maybe one of the top 5 russian wrestlers of all time.