NLWC Final X Room Awkwardness

This might have been mentioned in another thread, but with  Nolf vs Dake, and Taylor vs Brooks at Final X do you think there’s any weirdness in the room amongst those guys? 
As a competitor you would think there would have to be. Gotta be weird for coaches too. Wonder how they handle it. 
Side note, I would’ve liked to see Brooks go 92KG from the start to have more NLWC guys on the team. 

• Fire 1

17 hours ago, pretty_rob said:

This might have been mentioned in another thread, but with  Nolf vs Dake, and Taylor vs Brooks at Final X do you think there’s any weirdness in the room amongst those guys? 
As a competitor you would think there would have to be. Gotta be weird for coaches too. Wonder how they handle it. 
Side note, I would’ve liked to see Brooks go 92KG from the start to have more NLWC guys on the team. 

It's actually a cost-savings technique, both in terms of time and money. For example, the final strategy session can be accomplished in one sitting with both wrestlers present. It might go something like this:

SANDERSON: [WATCHING FILM]  "Did you see that? Did you see that, Aaron? David always posts the elbow and pushes his opponent away from the collar tie with his other hand before his ankle picks." 

BROOKS: "Duh, sure coach." 

SANDERSON: "So, David, I want you to avoid the elbow and instead use a couple of snap downs to get Aaron thinking about them before going with a half-a-snap-down to an ankle pick. Got that?

TAYLOR: "Duh, sure coach." 

SANDERSON: "Aaron, I want you to look for those snap downs because an ankle pick is right around the...." 

I guess they have to set up a bunch of Chinese Walls as there are 8 athletes and 6 coaches involved. Not enough to go around? That, in turn, raises additional questions: Do the coaches play favorites when it comes to information, time and resources? Wouldn't it be likely, even just on a subliminal level, to favor Penn State University athletes over those that come from, say, Cornell or arch-rival Iowa? 

Lots to consider. 

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I guess they have to set up a bunch of Chinese Walls as there are 8 athletes and 6 coaches involved. Not enough to go around? That, in turn, raises additional questions: Do the coaches play favorites when it comes to information, time and resources? Wouldn't it be likely, even just on a subliminal level, to favor Penn State University athletes over those that come from, say, Cornell or arch-rival Iowa? 

Lots to consider. 

Your math is wrong. You only need two coaches to make it work.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Your math is wrong. You only need two coaches to make it work.

You are working with athlete "A" and another coach is working with his future opponent athlete "B." Still another coach has been working with athlete "C" in the wrestling room at the same time as athlete "B" and his coach. Over some beers, the coach for athlete "A" asks the coach for athlete "C" what athlete "B" has been working on. Problem. 

Not only is there a problem with coaches, but there is a problem with practice time. Sure, the athletes can work out together on occasion, but when a wrestler is working on specific techniques to use in his match against his teammate, he'll want a separate gym or at least a separate time. LSU football closed their practices in 2017 and won a national championship in 2019. The Patriots have had dates on their practice schedule closed off to spectators. It has worked for them. 

I hope the NLWC staff have put some thought into these issues. Was this one of the reasons Gilman left Iowa in the first place? 

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

You are working with athlete "A" and another coach is working with his future opponent athlete "B." Still another coach has been working with athlete "C" in the wrestling room at the same time as athlete "B" and his coach. Over some beers, the coach for athlete "A" asks the coach for athlete "C" what athlete "B" has been working on. Problem. 

Not only is there a problem with coaches, but there is a problem with practice time. Sure, the athletes can work out together on occasion, but when a wrestler is working on specific techniques to use in his match against his teammate, he'll want a separate gym or at least a separate time. LSU football closed their practices in 2017 and won a national championship in 2019. The Patriots have had dates on their practice schedule closed off to spectators. It has worked for them. 

I hope the NLWC staff have put some thought into these issues. Was this one of the reasons Gilman left Iowa in the first place? 

The scales have fallen from my eyes. NLWC is doing it all wrong which explains their shoddy results.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The scales have fallen from my eyes. NLWC is doing it all wrong which explains their shoddy results.

Fallacy. 

You are basing judgment on past scenarios that were different. I believe NLWC had 5 freestyle athletes involved in Final X 2022, and there were zero matchups between their own athletes. As far as I can tell, they had 6 coaches, which could handle 5 athletes. Now, they have 8 athletes in freestyle, still 6 coaches, and two of the matchups involve their club athletes going up against each other. Finally, there are more non-PSU wrestlers in Final X wrestling for NLWC with the arrival of Dake in September 2022. 

I would be quite surprised if they haven't considered these issues:

Have they taken measures to mete out time, money and resources in an equitable manner? Do they have appropriate Chinese Walls to protect their athletes who have to face off against their other athletes? Are there provisions to detect and eliminate possible subliminal biases against athletes who came over to NLWC after college? 

• Fire 1

On 5/28/2023 at 2:57 PM, pretty_rob said:

Wasn't someone asleep at the wheel when Bartlett wrestled Nick Lee?

Then there was that Taylor/Nickal weirdness in OTT finals.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

On 5/29/2023 at 2:04 PM, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

The ABCs are confusing.

mspart

• Fire 1