Chael’s take on Spencer Lee

Jimmy Cinnabon

2 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

LOL...cool! I probably should remember having never wrestled, you might be in awe being around someone who's well known for Wrestling. That actually IS a good point.

Beyond that, I guess yes, once I make it past adolescence, I'll understand why someone actually had to point out that Chael's peronna when promoting a fight is NOT actually who he is!

Next you'll tell me he actually DID lose in the UFC and the whole "Undefeated, never lost a round," schtick is part of that persona!

Here's the thing LBJ...I understand why HE'S got a schtick. It made a guy who didn't have the greatest UFC career--very good, not an all-time great--one of the BIGGEST stars in the sport.

What I DON'T get is your little schtick? You gonna parlay this into a super successful podcast or some type of endorsement deal through intermat? 

Yeah, yeah, you're still rooting for me. I got it!

golf fall GIF

2 hours ago, LJB said:

listened to this again just because...

yep...

still the point he was trying to make has been lost on this crowd...

i should not be that surprised...

Fail Falling Down GIF

Yeah, cool. ANOTHER Gif. Why don't you break it down for us? 

He should have played up the injury the next day like it was a WWE event because that's what he'd have done if he was in public relations! He'd have limped to the mat like he was in SOO much pain they were all saying, "no Spencer, it's not worth it!" And he'd have pulled up his straps...struggling to do so and gritted it out so the public perception was different!

Cool story. Silly...kinda nonsense. Uncle Chael CLEARLY missed the mark here.

And that's without all the silly nonsense that he just got factually wrong. But hey, the important thing here is....well, you know Chael and you love Gifs!!!

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah, cool. ANOTHER Gif. Why don't you break it down for us? 

He should have played up the injury the next day like it was a WWE event because that's what he'd have done if he was in public relations! He'd have limped to the mat like he was in SOO much pain they were all saying, "no Spencer, it's not worth it!" And he'd have pulled up his straps...struggling to do so and gritted it out so the public perception was different!

Cool story. Silly...kinda nonsense. Uncle Chael CLEARLY missed the mark here.

And that's without all the silly nonsense that he just got factually wrong. But hey, the important thing here is....well, you know Chael and you love Gifs!!!

I Hate Mondays Running GIF by Barstool Sports

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight said:

Didn't want to start a new Lee thread, but does anyone know what his injury was his junior year in HS?

He just wrestled the last month of the season (11 matches, all pins and techs, only one of those 11 were not post season)

Wasn't in a shoulder? 

On 3/20/2023 at 12:17 PM, PortaJohn said:

But Spencer wouldn't have been the first undefeated 4x PIAA champ.  He's still wrong

That honor belongs to Mike Johnson (Lock Haven HS).  Career record 84-0.  Never taken down in HS.  Went on to wrestle for Pitt.

12 hours ago, lu_alum said:

That honor belongs to Mike Johnson (Lock Haven HS).  Career record 84-0.  Never taken down in HS.  Went on to wrestle for Pitt.

That's not correct either.  Jim Conklin (Waynesburg HS) won in 1940, 1941, 1942, and 1943.  He was undefeated 70-0-1. The first 4x undefeated and untied champion was Jerry Maurey (Clearfield HS) who won in 1947-50.   He was 67-0.  Johnson won his 4 1958-61.  

Yeah, but Chael went on to say something about it being on TV in that same sentence.  Not sure if any of those guys had their 4th final televised and if so it was a much smaller audience than Spencer Lee's.

6 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Yup. And then Kolat and Marstellar were both 4x undefeated champs

Pretty sure Kolat's final was televised on PCN or something like that at the time and  I am sure there was a lot of expectation on him at the time.  PCN is a PA cable channel not a national audience.  Sure it was something similar with Marsteller.

Agree that Chael's statement was incorrect.  

4 hours ago, fishbane said:

That's not correct either.  Jim Conklin (Waynesburg HS) won in 1940, 1941, 1942, and 1943.  He was undefeated 70-0-1. The first 4x undefeated and untied champion was Jerry Maurey (Clearfield HS) who won in 1947-50.   He was 67-0.  Johnson won his 4 1958-61.  

You are correct.  The embarrassing part is I actually knew about Conklin and Maurey.