Wrassling

Nailbender

I never use the term. It reminds me of people who know nothing about the sport tussling my hair and asking me "how's the wrasslin' goin?". Maybe that's the problem, it's a subconscious thing about male pattern baldness and my lost youth?

I also associate it with people who when I say wrestling, assume I know all about Hulk Hogan. Which I do not. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Anyone else have any wrestling pet peeves?

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, Nailbender said:

I never use the term. It reminds me of people who know nothing about the sport tussling my hair and asking me "how's the wrasslin' goin?". Maybe that's the problem, it's a subconscious thing about male pattern baldness and my lost youth?

I also associate it with people who when I say wrestling, assume I know all about Hulk Hogan. Which I do not. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Anyone else have any wrestling pet peeves?

I hear this.  That pronunciation is pretty common in the south. I think I've heard John Smith pronounce it like that.

The "you're not working hard enough" mantra wears thin for me.

• Fire 1

36 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I think we should pin fall this topic!

In seriousness I can't stand when people say oh, you play wrestling...errrr

My mother never played sports. She was very supportive anyway. Her closest tie to sports was choir. She sang a lot. School, church, etc.

She used to refer to practice as "rehearsal". She'd usually catch it herself but sometimes wouldn't even realize it.

56 minutes ago, Nailbender said:

My mother never played sports. She was very supportive anyway. Her closest tie to sports was choir. She sang a lot. School, church, etc.

She used to refer to practice as "rehearsal". She'd usually catch it herself but sometimes wouldn't even realize it.

So how many Wrestling Rehearsals did you go to?

mspart

1 hour ago, Nailbender said:

I was home 1 afternoon before a high school match and my mother told me to go for a run to get in shape for my match. If I lost she'd ask why i didn't just do that move where I grab his leg.

• Haha 1

I never minded the running. Just needed to find a way to make it interesting. Run around the school, run in the room with the lights out. Stuff like that. My kid was playing tag in a good portion of the hallways at school in wrestling this year. In the morning early when no one else was there. Good times.

1 hour ago, El Luchador said:

I loved soccer.  When I was in high school I had a gym class with the captain of the soccer team,  he was also a wrestler.  He told me I was the biggest hack he ever played against. I guess I was doing it wrong. 

You probably feined injury poorly.

• Haha 1

I usually just ignore people that say Wrasslin' and move on with the conversation.   It doesn't help to make a stink of it.  But I will correct them that I'm not into WWE or WWF whatever it is called now.   Olympic Wrasslin' is the style I do and enjoy.  Well, I don't do it anymore.  But I do enjoy watching great wrestling.

mspart

• Fire 1

My best friend in college had two boys who wrestled in HS and college.  He always said wrasslin and I laughed everytime.  Probably if I hadn't laughed, he wouldn't have said it that way.

A couple of oldies...  I always hated it when someone would holler "Get to your base" when some kid had 240 lbs of opponent laying on him.  Same thing when someone had double legs in on him with a high ride.  You want to holler back "How the hey is he gonna do that?"  I also hated when someone would yell "Run it" when the top man was trying to take the near arm up and over (head in armpit).

My 202x pet peeve is those damn bricks.  Also, the 1-1, 2-2 OT snoozefests.  These are usually preceded by the 3 minute waltz first period.

Edited by BerniePragle
  • Fire 1

49 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

My best friend in college had two boys who wrestled in HS and college.  He always said wrasslin and I laughed everytime.  Probably if I hadn't laughed, he wouldn't have said it that way.

A couple of oldies...  I always hated it when someone would holler "Get to your base" when some kid had 240 lbs of opponent laying on him.  Same thing when someone had double legs in on him with a high ride.  You want to holler back "How the hey is he gonna do that?"  I also hated when someone would yell "Run it" when the top man was trying to take the near arm up and over (head in armpit).

My 202x pet peeve is those damn bricks.  Also, the 1-1, 2-2 OT snoozefests.  These are usually preceded by the 3 minute waltz first period.

There was a father on my son's wresrling team that would yell incorrect advise...louder than anyone else could possibly yell. Mostly only for his own son but not always. My wife and I would choose our seating as to not be anywhere near him. It became a running joke for my wife and me.

That kid is now on the Trap team I'm coaching. I can't believe he'll have the nerve to try it there (a trap field is more like watching golf) but if he does, I'll be putting a stop to that real quick.