ILLINOIS Versus Iowa & Wisconsin This Week

Just now, nhs67 said:

Not really.  I think Hall was banged up and got hurt during that match, didn't he?

Also, PK is a brute.  He may not have the same sort of lunchbox mits that Lunchbox Mits had, but Mini-Braun will always have trouble against a guy with that sort of physicality at 165.

Hall has been as close as anyone at beating O'Toole this year, which was actually pretty darn close.  I'm not sure if Hall was hurt during the match.  Kennedy is very strong, won't gas, with high attack rate, and heavy hands.  Good wrestler and potential AA guy, but I consider Hall is being a level above that with a higher probability of AA.  

14 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Hall has been as close as anyone at beating O'Toole this year, which was actually pretty darn close.  I'm not sure if Hall was hurt during the match.  Kennedy is very strong, won't gas, with high attack rate, and heavy hands.  Good wrestler and potential AA guy, but I consider Hall is being a level above that with a higher probability of AA.  

Kennedy barely lost to hall while injured at the Scuffle and then turned around and clean 10-0 teched him in freestyle (I think, not going to look it up). Kennedy is absolutely at Hall’s level.

edit: I looked it up. Kennedy lost 6-4 in OT then defaulted out of the tournament. In free Kennedy swept him 8-3 and 5-0 in freestyle.

Edited by wrestlingphish

Just now, wrestlingphish said:

Kennedy barely lost to hall while injured at the Scuffle and then turned around and clean 10-0 teched him in freestyle (I think, not going to look it up). Kennedy is absolutely at Hall’s level.

Freestyle point is somewhat irrelevant given that we know Hall is a much better mat wrestler.  Anyways, Hall beat Kennedy in folkstyle and has a better set of wins against top opponents.  If you want to have large big levels to be extra inclusive and give everyone a trophy, then sure, they're on the same level 😉

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

Freestyle point is somewhat irrelevant given that we know Hall is a much better mat wrestler.  Anyways, Hall beat Kennedy in folkstyle and has a better set of wins against top opponents.  If you want to have large big levels to be extra inclusive and give everyone a trophy, then sure, they're on the same level 😉

Might have to see you in the gambling forum on this one come March. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I thought Carr was going to med school and that’s why he didn’t come back last year? I don’t think this is what they mean when they say “he has a medical redshirt left.”

think this may be his "medical white lab coat" year.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

So serious question - is he in the new Carle engineering medical school? Is he doing what Dr. Kemmerer attempted?

I have never heard of someone being able to maintain the academic rigor of medical school while enduring the physical rigor and time commitment of D1 wrestling.  But I probably have a lot to learn.  Kizhan Clarke was doing law school at UNC when he got 2nd in the country, but not the same level of commitment required to medical school as far as I can tell

25 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I have never heard of someone being able to maintain the academic rigor of medical school while enduring the physical rigor and time commitment of D1 wrestling.  But I probably have a lot to learn.  Kizhan Clarke was doing law school at UNC when he got 2nd in the country, but not the same level of commitment required to medical school as far as I can tell

UIUC did not have a med school until 2015-16ish. They created a new engineering and quant based med school that is the first of its’ kind in the US. I don’t think the first class has even become fellows yet. So maybe that could have a different type of rigor and intensity for a year 2 than a “typical” med school? Or maybe he’s getting a grad cert and skipped med school? @ILLINIWrestlingBlog what’s the scoop? 

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

Cardani had surgery in the off-season. Maximo is super talented, but has been slowed down by injuries and illnesses. And speaking of injuries ...

... Mikey Carr had an amazing redshirt freshman year, wrestling in the B1G finals after beating Nick Lee handily in the semis. And those weren't my favorite moments of that year.

My favorite moment came in his first varsity match against Jaydin Eierman when he shot a double and picked him up and carried him around the mat on his shoulders until the ref called him for stalling.

Ha! Who even does that?

Then, injuries tore him apart. As a model student and citizen, he's the perfect reason for medical redshirts. 

• Fire 2

Just now, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Cardani had surgery in the off-season. Maximo is super talented, but has been slowed down by injuries and illnesses. And speaking of injuries ...

... Mikey Carr had an amazing redshirt freshman year, wrestling in the B1G finals after beating Nick Lee handily in the semis. And those weren't my favorite moments of that year.

My favorite moment came in his first varsity match against Jaydin Eierman when he shot a double and picked him up and carried him around the mat on his shoulders until the ref called him for stalling.

Ha! Who even does that?

Then, injuries tore him apart. As a model student and citizen, he's the perfect reason for medical redshirts. 

Did Mikey Carr perform the surgery on Cardani while in medical school?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

UIUC did not have a med school until 2015-16ish. They created a new engineering and quant based med school that is the first of its’ kind in the US. I don’t think the first class has even become fellows yet. So maybe that could have a different type of rigor and intensity for a year 2 than a “typical” med school? Or maybe he’s getting a grad cert and skipped med school? @ILLINIWrestlingBlog what’s the scoop? 

I don't know. Hope to find out soon. Still getting over the shock of seeing Carr walk out onto the mat. Cheers!

• Fire 1

The ILLINI agin the stinking Badgers:

125.  Wisconsin heavy favorite.

133.  ILLINI heavy favorite. 

141.  Depends. If Zargo, toss up, but that would mean he ducked PSU. If no Zargo, ILLINI solid favorite.

149.  Wisconsin heavy favorite. Kevon Davenport has tried to toss folks in ~30% of his matches this year, including Sammy Sasso. Think a toss happens here. 

157.  This was a Wisconsin solid favorite, but now there's Mikey ******* Carr.

165.  Wisconsin heavy favorite.

174.  ILLINI heavy favorite.

184.  ILLINI solid favorite.

197.  ILLINI slight favorite. Zac beat Warnerov, Amos got smashed by Dean. Does Bono ducks his wrestler to avoid three straight losses?

285.  Wisconsin heavy favorite.

BTN @ 3:00 (Central). Before the addition of Carr, Wisconsin wins via more bonus points. Now? 

7 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

The ILLINI agin the stinking Badgers:

125.  Wisconsin heavy favorite.

133.  ILLINI heavy favorite. 

141.  Depends. If Zargo, toss up, but that would mean he ducked PSU. If no Zargo, ILLINI solid favorite.

149.  Wisconsin heavy favorite. Kevon Davenport has tried to toss folks in ~30% of his matches this year, including Sammy Sasso. Think a toss happens here. 

157.  This was a Wisconsin solid favorite, but now there's Mikey ******* Carr.

165.  Wisconsin heavy favorite.

174.  ILLINI heavy favorite.

184.  ILLINI solid favorite.

197.  ILLINI slight favorite. Zac beat Warnerov, Amos got smashed by Dean. Does Bono ducks his wrestler to avoid three straight losses?

285.  Wisconsin heavy favorite.

BTN @ 3:00 (Central). Before the addition of Carr, Wisconsin wins via more bonus points. Now? 

After the 157 match and during the B10 halftime break Mikey Carr will be giving a short lecture/demonstration on brain surgery.  BTN prob won't show it so be at State Farm Arena, admission is free. 

youngfrankenstein-0207.jpg

• Fire 1