Midlands - Stock Up

Elevator

125 - Dean Peterson may have secured the spot over Rutgers teammate Dylan Shawver; same for unseeded Diego Sotelo of Harvard who was unseeded and took 3rd after a first round loss to Jack Medley.  Sotelo beat teammate Beau Bayless in the consis 10-0 and won 5 matches before a MFF in the match for 3rd over Peterson.

133 - 4th Seed Michael Colaiocco of Penn won the title with an 8-1 win over Taylor Lamont in the quarters, a 15-13 win over #1 seed Lucas Byrd in the semis and a 3-2 win in the final over Chris Cannon that included a riding time point.  Ryan Crookham had a big 2-1 decision in the quarters over #2 seed Joe Hellman of Rutgers.   

141 - unseeded Saul Ervin of SIU Edwardsville took 5th and got to the semis with wins over Joe Zargo (WBF 1:54) and 4th seed Jesse Vasquez of ASU.

149 - unseeded Caleb Tyus of SIU Edwardsville also made it to the semis with wins over Graham Rooks (4th seed) and 5th seed Sam Hillegas.  He took 4th to Doug Zapf (2-6) but beat Tyler Badget of Pitt in the consis semis 7-5.  Badgett also had a good tourney.

157 - unseeded Drew Scharenbro of WIsconsin won 2nd.

165 - not a lot of surprise.  Lucas Revano of Penn won four matches in the consis and got 7th from the 14th seed

174 - Unseeded Daniel Wask (Unattached Navy Prep) beat #2 seed Troy Fisher in the quarters and fell 2-3 to Nick Contrera in the semis, then won 4th after a win the consi semis over Pitt's Luca Augustine.  Wask is going to do some big things in NCAA wrestling after his PG year.

184 - Jaritt Shonhoster (UW Whitewater) was the 5th seed and won 2nd, with a fall over the top seed Brian Soldano in the semis. 

197 - Andrew Davison Northwestern lost to Cole Urbas 2-3 in his second match on the front side and then won 3rd place with 6 wins in the consis - beast!

285 - Pitt's unseeded Dayton Pitzer took 2nd and won several big matches, including 4-0 over #1 seed Colton Schultz (ASU) in the quarters and a pin (5:57) over 4th seed Trent Hilger in the semis.  

Plenty of other big wins, but these are some I noticed!

Edited by Elevator
  • Fire 6

Kind of... slipped past Princeton's Quentin Monday, going up to 165, and wound up winning the whole darn shooting match against Wisconsin's  wunderkind, Hamiti, 3-2, eh?😏

D3

• Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1 hour ago, Elevator said:

157 - unseeded Drew Scharenbrock of WIsconsin won 2nd.

285 - Pitt's unseeded Dayton Pitzer took 2nd and won several big matches, including 4-0 over #1 seed Colton Schultz (ASU) in the quarters and a pin (6:57) over 4th seed Trent Hilger in the semis.  

Couple tweaks.  Scharenbrock is on redshirt.  He will be a monster.

Pitzer was actually losing 2-1 to Hillger and was awarded a defensive fall with only three second to go in the match.

23 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Kind of... slipped past Princeton's Quentin Monday, going up to 165, and wound up winning the whole darn shooting match against Wisconsin's  wunderkind, Hamiti, 3-2, eh?😏

Quentin did not compete at Midlands.  Quincy did, though.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

52 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Couple tweaks.  Scharenbrock is on redshirt.  He will be a monster.

Pitzer was actually losing 2-1 to Hillger and was awarded a defensive fall with only three second to go in the match.

Wrestlestat has Scharenbrock as redshirting in 2019 and having 1 year left after this season. And he's been waxed twice by Chumbley, who has two years left after this. Think Chumbley has an excellent AA shot this year. Three years in the room with Deakin has paid off!

2 hours ago, Major Kong said:

Wrestlestat has Scharenbrock as redshirting in 2019 and having 1 year left after this season. And he's been waxed twice by Chumbley, who has two years left after this. Think Chumbley has an excellent AA shot this year. Three years in the room with Deakin has paid off!

I was actually thinking of Messenbrink for some redonk reason.

The four gallons of Captain Morgan Black this morning might have had an effect.  I thought the fourteen potatoes, eight ears of corn and three kegger porterhouse might offset the alcohol content.  Obviously i was wrong.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Ah,ha,ha,ha... ya got me there nhs67, ya got me!

gold_star_award_winner_classic_round_sti

...there ya go!

I'm so proud of you!

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

56 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Ah,ha,ha,ha... ya got me there nhs67, ya got me!

gold_star_award_winner_classic_round_sti

...there ya go!

I'm so proud of you!

D3

I mean... botching his name that badly is flat out disrespectful.  Put some respect on the name, ffs, and quit being a ponce about it as if it was okay.

• Stalling 1

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I was actually thinking of Messenbrink for some redonk reason.

The four gallons of Captain Morgan Black this morning might have had an effect.  I thought the fourteen potatoes, eight ears of corn and three kegger porterhouse might offset the alcohol content.  Obviously i was wrong.

Messenbrink and Scharenbrock to be fair are German named guys around the same weight class.  Both hail from the state famous for cheese curds and unsigned NPOs

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

Alright, alright, no need to bludgeon me!

(You could of did it in a not so snarky way either. Ponce? Really? Same with yours truly on that gold star bit... not necessary at all.) 

Why don't we start of on better footing for the New Year, okay? 

(The quick edit cut-off really puts everyone everyone on notice!)

Peace?

D3

• Fire 2

19 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

D3

Will Monday stay up? Beating Hamiti was a big win I'd say

14 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

Alright, alright, no need to bludgeon me!

(You could of did it in a not so snarky way either. Ponce? Really? Same with yours truly on that gold star bit... not necessary at all.) 

Why don't we start of on better footing for the New Year, okay? 

(The quick edit cut-off really puts everyone everyone on notice!)

Peace?

D3

You're good, mate.  I agree on all parts, and my apologies for the ponce remark.  I really am harmless.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Silver said:

Will Monday stay up? Beating Hamiti was a big win I'd say

Apparently Big Daddy Monday said his intention was to stay up.

Another Midlands name that deserves a shout-out is WVU's true freshman Brody Conley at 174.  Lost early 3-1 SV to Illinois' #1 seed Edmund Ruth (who won), and came back for third -- easily. He's 15-1 on the year and though he hasn't faced anyone in the top 20 outside of Ruth, he hasn't had many close matches either.

• Fire 1