Unstoppable Movie about Anthony Robles

On 9/12/2024 at 11:05 PM, Chigachanuk said:

Sorry, but I'll play the naysayer.  Despite the fact that Robles wrestled with one leg, he had big time upper body advantage.  Think about it:  how much does a leg weigh?  35 pounds?  So he had the upper body of a 170 pound man, which was very obvious.  Yes  he had moves, speed, and strength of a solid wrestler, but he also was hard to take down because he wrestled with one knee to the mat position which left his opponents not able to surprise Robles, .  I think McD looked confuses as to where to attack and I think he suffered from what most Robles opponents did:  "I don't want to take  advantage of this guy,  so I'll...........what?"  Not taking anything away from Robles:  he was an honest champ, but wrestling him was weird;  his oponents looked confused.

Just imagine if he had no legs at all. 35 + 35 = a SEVENTY pound advantage!  And no legs to shoot at!  Now THAT is unfair.

Don't even get me started on how unfair it'd be if he didn't have a head either.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/12/2024 at 8:05 PM, Chigachanuk said:

Sorry, but I'll play the naysayer.  Despite the fact that Robles wrestled with one leg, he had big time upper body advantage.  Think about it:  how much does a leg weigh?  35 pounds?  So he had the upper body of a 170 pound man, which was very obvious.  Yes  he had moves, speed, and strength of a solid wrestler, but he also was hard to take down because he wrestled with one knee to the mat position which left his opponents not able to surprise Robles, .  I think McD looked confuses as to where to attack and I think he suffered from what most Robles opponents did:  "I don't want to take  advantage of this guy,  so I'll...........what?"  Not taking anything away from Robles:  he was an honest champ, but wrestling him was weird;  his oponents looked confused.

I wrestled him a lot in high school and was in his class. Did he have a strength advantage? Absolutley. Did he present unique problems? Absolutely. Are either of those things why he was an NCAA D1 champion? Absolutely not. He had the determination and attitude of a champion and he paved his way like every other champion. 

• Bob 3
  • Wrestle 1

On 9/13/2024 at 6:23 AM, pcostilow said:

I was really hoping after 2011 that I would never have to hear the "the amputee actually has an advantage" argument again.

He did its just not the reason he became a champion. Its the same as any other advantage that has its disadvantages situation. 

On 9/13/2024 at 7:39 PM, WildTurk said:

Foxcatcher was a great movie imo

I guess it’s a matter of preference, but I will say it wasn’t a bad movie. My expectations were just extremely high. Steve Carell is one of my favorite actors of all time and Channing Tatum is one of my wife’s favorite actors (not sure why lol). And the movie was an about one of the craziest wrestling stories ever. I really thought it would be my new all time favorite movie. Probably unfair expectations, but it really wasn’t close to my favorite 

49 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I guess it’s a matter of preference, but I will say it wasn’t a bad movie. My expectations were just extremely high. Steve Carell is one of my favorite actors of all time and Channing Tatum is one of my wife’s favorite actors (not sure why lol). And the movie was an about one of the craziest wrestling stories ever. I really thought it would be my new all time favorite movie. Probably unfair expectations, but it really wasn’t close to my favorite 

I think part of the problem was that we all knew what was going to happen. The entire movie built up to that ending.

On 9/12/2024 at 8:05 PM, Chigachanuk said:

I agree.  All of the one legged champions demonstrate how much of an advantage it is.  

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2024 at 7:14 PM, Kansasfan said:

They got Johnni Dijulius to play Matt Mcdonough so that should help

Someone remarked in a post (to which the above comment was a response) that a state champion wrestler plays the lead, but I didn't see that in the article below and even if he is a state champ the question arises, which state?  PA, Ohio, NJ, NY, or California (and a number of possible additions) -- that would be great.   A few other states (I won't name them), perhaps not so amazing.

https://www.thewrap.com/jharrel-jerome-unstoppable-transformation-wrestling/

10 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Someone remarked in a post (to which the above comment was a response) that a state champion wrestler plays the lead, but I didn't see that in the article below and even if he is a state champ the question arises, which state?  PA, Ohio, NJ, NY, or California (and a number of possible additions) -- that would be great.   A few other states (I won't name them), perhaps not so amazing.

You can't seriously think that being a state champ in a weaker state isn't enough credentials to play a wrestler in a movie.  You do realize the matches in the movie won't be real?

• Bob 1

10 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I said they got a state champ to play the lead in Win/Win. 

Regardless of the state if they got a state champ to play the lead in Unstoppable the wrestling would be ASTRONOMICALLY better than in Legendary, Vision Quest or hell, even Foxcatcher. 

On 9/12/2024 at 10:05 PM, Chigachanuk said:

I think McD looked confuses as to where to attack and I think he suffered from what most Robles opponents did:  "I don't want to take  advantage of this guy,  so I'll...........what?"

You seem to be saying that Robles's opponents didn't want to wrestle to their strengths against him.  That seems to run counter to the attitude of every D-1 wrestler I've ever met. 

Maybe you'd care to walk that one back a bit?