UWW planning to revise weight classes (?)

So there has been a growing chorus of rumors that UWW is planning a weight class revision in all its wrestling styles (freestyle, greco, women). FRL has talked about this in one of their podcasts and they said there is a proposal on UWW table that will be (may be?) ratified after October world champs (for the non olympic classes)? I've heard the same, that the current weight classes are to be used the last time this October.

Has anyone heard any details on the proposal? I've heard, from multiple sources that

• 57 is going to be scrapped and they will move to 60 or 59 as the smallest WC (in MFS)
  • 70 will be an olympic category instead of 65
  • 92 kg category will be scrapped altogether
  • For women, the heaviest weight class will be moving up to 82 or similar, and 72 is also going to be an olympic class, as well as 59.
  • 55 kg category for greco will be no more

Curious if you've heard anything. All of this is the word on the street, but we're kind of on the street here on this board right

Edited by Shibboleth
typo

• Shibboleth changed the title to UWW planning to revise weight classes (?)
1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

I seriously hope that the NCAA switches and follows suit on the wrestling weight classes as well.

Meaning:  Line them up.  Do the next pound up and line them up.

I also hope they line MGR and MFS up to be the same as well.  I know there is (was) reasoning for staggering them, I just don't think they should anymore.

Stoked too see WFS get more distance between weight classes.  76 is far too low.  I know the reason it's lower is 'because nobody wants to see chubby girls' wrestle.  That said, some of our most elite wrestlers have had to not pursue wrestling because there is no 230lb weight class.  A few gals from Michigan from the last few years had potential, but cannot because they are too heavy.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

5 hours ago, Shibboleth said:

So there has been a growing chorus of rumors that UWW is planning a weight class revision in all its wrestling styles (freestyle, greco, women). FRL has talked about this in one of their podcasts and they said there is a proposal on UWW table that will be (may be?) ratified after October world champs (for the non olympic classes)? I've heard the same, that the current weight classes are to be used the last time this October.

Has anyone heard any details on the proposal? I've heard, from multiple sources that

• 57 is going to be scrapped and they will move to 60 or 59 as the smallest WC (in MFS)
  • 70 will be an olympic category instead of 65
  • 92 kg category will be scrapped altogether
  • For women, the heaviest weight class will be moving up to 82 or similar, and 72 is also going to be an olympic class, as well as 59.
  • 55 kg category for greco will be no more

Curious if you've heard anything. All of this is the word on the street, but we're kind of on the street here on this board right

In Flo's Paris interview with Uww president Lalovic, he made it seem like there was no reason to change anything and said it will take a very strong argument to persuade the board of any changes--despite being clear and open about other significant changes on the table that will probably pass. Maybe this was just his personal opinion, but it made me think nothing will change for this cycle.

• Bob 1

Weight classes have been adjusted periodically over the years so it wouldn’t surprise me if they were changed again. 
A long time ago we had 105, and 114 lbs weight classes which were eliminated. So we’ll see what they do. 

In Flo's Paris interview with Uww president Lalovic, he made it seem like there was no reason to change anything and said it will take a very strong argument to persuade the board of any changes--despite being clear and open about other significant changes on the table that will probably pass. Maybe this was just his personal opinion, but it made me think nothing will change for this cycle.

Did you seriously think that Lalovic would share news about strategic changes within UWW with Christian Pyles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Did you seriously think that Lalovic would share news about strategic changes within UWW with Christian Pyles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My point was that he was openly discussing other changes that are on the table but made clear his personal closed-mindedness about changing weight classes.