All time question! How did this happen.

Caveira

Interesting question about the ankle bands. We were given a "formula" to use to assign but it was based on school colors. Unless the guy that gave us the list used the blue for Fresno, I don't get it. Especially since if we had considered them equal the top guy (which was McIlravy) would get red. We let them reassign at the table a few years later when there was a major screwup between Nebraska and Minnesota (I think). Both reddish and must have had Minn on top. There was a stalling call at some point that nobody could remember what happened as they everyone was confused with the colors. 

2 hours ago, Caveira said:

Great Match.   How did Lincoln get red ankle bands in this match?   Based on the title I was like how tf is red getting a stalling point here?!?!?   Crazy lol 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTF1shwwU/

Maybe it wasn't at the time, but today I'd think it would be a pretty questionable stalling call on Abas.  Abas was called for stalling 9s after the restart.  Abas really only takes about two steps back and is then circling and defending McIlravy's constant attacks.  Seems harsh.  Overall I'd say the official was too involved in the third period of that match.  The earlier stall warning was pretty harsh to and then he was quick on a couple potential dangerous brakes that benefited McIlravy that didn't look that dangerous.  The stall call was the difference in the match as Abas had riding time and it would have gone to SV.

Compare that stall call to what Figueroa had to do to get called for stalling in the NCAA finals this year.  No way would this 2024 ref had made either of the stall calls against Abas.

https://youtu.be/FFIEb2jb2Xc?si=xYS5YoQaAX3aa5sZ&t=720

as much as we talk about it, we don't have a great consensus as to what stalling is. How long after a break can you call stalling? Is it about holding ground or attacking? What is attacking? If you stalled your butt off in the first period should you get hit quicker in the third? If you were hyper offensive for the first six minutes are you entitled to stall the last minute?

There are a dozen questions no one is entitled to answer, which makes we think we need a step out and figure out the grounded stuff later.

• Bob 1
  • Jagger 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

I thought it was stalling after re watching.  But 0% chance it’s called that way today.  

Why the change?  If fans nearly universally want stalling called more why did it change so dramatically?   

i think this is the scenario we all gripe about today

it's clear one guy HAS to attack.. .and IS and the other guy is 'running'

and they called it.

it's not called much these days... which makes us all gripe

half the time however, it's clear one guy HAS to attack.. but really isn't.

Get rid of stall calls. Stalling is a skill. let them use that skill. add in 1pt out of bounds. or instead of stalling point, on second call you stop the match and let the other wrestler choose top/bottom/neutral (neutral would start in an over under body lock position.

The problem with saying Abas was stalling for what he did in those 7 seconds after the restart is where does it end?  He was no more offensive the subsequent 7s. Why not hit him again?  I suppose because he was on the verge of being taken down.  In the final 7 seconds he was mostly laying on the mat - that could be a 3rd stalling call.  I am pretty confident if Abas has defended that final takedown the official would have hit him again and this match would have been headed to SV.

Even back in 1993 stalling calls didn't come like that in the 1st period or likely even in the 3rd period if Abas was either losing or had a bigger lead like say 10 points.  Stalling calls can seem like an invisible hand trying to level a match.  When Abas is winning the official hits him for 7s of passive wrestling in the tictok and with the earlier warning was more like 3s of passive wrestling, but the moment he is about he relinquish the lead it stops being called. It's like in Mariokart when you get into first place and the computer controlled racers start racing excellently and getting great items then after they catch you they go back to being mediocre.  If you're up 2 points with 21s left in the NCAA finals and are staying in the middle of the mat you've earned the right to not attempt to score.