Do "graduate transfers" actually need to pursue a graduate degree to wrestle?

Master's degree is the norm, but you can grad transfer into any post-bacc program, like a professional or grad certificate programs, once you have your  undergraduate degree. The NCAA also had a rule that athletes could only transfer if the program isn't offered at their previous school, but I don't think that's still the case. The grad transfer option is definitely abused, esp in D1 basketball and football, but overall makes life better for athletes and schools than worse.

2 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Master's degree is the norm, but you can grad transfer into any post-bacc program, like a professional or grad certificate programs, once you have your  undergraduate degree. The NCAA also had a rule that athletes could only transfer if the program isn't offered at their previous school, but I don't think that's still the case. The grad transfer option is definitely abused, esp in D1 basketball and football, but overall makes life better for athletes and schools than worse.

By "the norm" you mean most grad transfers are indeed finishing a master's degree?

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

By "the norm" you mean most grad transfers are indeed finishing a master's degree?

Norm, as in most transfer into a Master's program. Years ago, the NCAA found that most of the D1 grad transfers in basketball(?) ended up dropping out right after their eligibility ran out. But again, imo the grad transfer option on balance  brings more positive than negative.

29 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Looks like both Iowa and Penn State (and I’m sure many others) offer the opportunity to be a non-degree student.

https://admissions.uiowa.edu/apply/nondegree-students

https://registrar.psu.edu/enrollment/undergraduate-nondegree-enrollment.cfm

https://admissions.umich.edu/apply/other-applicants/non-degree-and-guest-applications

plus Michigan which explains how suriano attended such an excellent academic school

30 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Looks like both Iowa and Penn State (and I’m sure many others) offer the opportunity to be a non-degree student.

https://admissions.uiowa.edu/apply/nondegree-students

https://registrar.psu.edu/enrollment/undergraduate-nondegree-enrollment.cfm

Apparently Real Woods (who has a degree from Stanford) did not pursue a graduate degree at Iowa.  Seems odd, I'm sure he could have qualified academically for a master's program.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I thought they had to at least pursue a master's degree but I'm hearing they can take non-degree courses and still wrestle.  Is that right?

Fascinating philosophical argument?

some people are in favor of holding kids back in grammar school to get a competitive advantage… #winning  

Vs 

a Stanford grad taking pre med courses….. that are not necessarily a masters/grad degree to help with mcat / entrance to med school.  

Life sure is funny.  

59 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Fascinating philosophical argument?

some people are in favor of holding kids back in grammar school to get a competitive advantage… #winning  

Vs 

a Stanford grad taking pre med courses….. that are not necessarily a masters/grad degree to help with mcat / entrance to med school.  

Life sure is funny.  

Is Woods actually applying to medical school?  It’s typical for premed students to take the requisite STEM course while in undergrad. You shouldn’t need to attend grad school for these unless you majored in underwater basket weaving. 

54 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Is Woods actually applying to medical school?  It’s typical for premed students to take the requisite STEM course while in undergrad. You shouldn’t need to attend grad school for these unless you majored in underwater basket weaving. 

Real graduated from Stanford with a college degree in psychology.  Post your undergrad accolades.    Also.   Post all your unpaid debts.  lol.  

Edited by Caveira
  • Bob 1

18 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

So is Real Woods wrestling for CKWC while he is pursuing a doctorate/med school at Michigan?

I'm not sure where the med school stuff is from, but last I saw, Woods wanted to be an DO, not an MD. MSU has an osteopathic medicine program so maybe he wants the best of both worlds with a DO degree from MSU while training at CKWC? It would be a huge pain in the ass, but doable. He grew up in an age where kids would travel long and far several times a week to go work out and train with the best.

On 8/31/2024 at 1:12 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Apparently Real Woods (who has a degree from Stanford) did not pursue a graduate degree at Iowa.  Seems odd, I'm sure he could have qualified academically for a master's program.

He probably did not want a Masters in Corn Appreciation.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I'm not sure where the med school stuff is from, but last I saw, Woods wanted to be an DO, not an MD. MSU has an osteopathic medicine program so maybe he wants the best of both worlds with a DO degree from MSU while training at CKWC? It would be a huge pain in the ass, but doable. He grew up in an age where kids would travel long and far several times a week to go work out and train with the best.

On the giggling girls (aka "clash of combat") podcast Real said he had desires of going to med school. This was prior to last season so intentions may have changed. I have no idea if he is/was taking STEM classes while in Iowa or what he intends to pursue, if anything, academically at MICH.