Burroughs making another run

2 hours ago, Gus said:

I would guess that Marstellar and Dierringer will be the biggest tests domestically. Would be interesting to see Starocci, KOT and Carr in the field. I would think that Carr will want to make a freestyle career at 74kg though. 

Isn't he supposed to be going 197lbs in a few months?  Why would he drop to 174lbs?

He either sits or goes 92 KG, right?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I think he has a tough row to hoe.   Best of luck to him.   A great competitor.   Medalled every time he went to WCs, only missing in the 2016 Olys.   I would like to see him be able to continue.   Best of luck to him. 

mspart

• Bob 1

I think Marsteller is probably his biggest obstacle to a world gold. Stylistically, JB has struggled a bit against guys like him that can hold position and don’t let him wrestle from space. Marstellar has recently committed to getting bigger and wrestling 86, so we aren’t sure what he’s going to look like at 79 (I don’t think it should be too much of a problem though). Plus, It’s a little different now that JB isn’t “the guy” so maybe JB’s game plan will be as good as Marstellers was. You never know, but I’m not counting out JB. He is not in his prime, but his prime was so high that he is still incredibly elite. People keep comparing him to himself from 10 years ago and think he’s not as good. That may be true, but no one in the world at 79 kg is even close to as good as 2014 Burroughs (assuming Dake and some of the other heavy hitters aren’t there). I think 2024 Burroughs is close enough that he could win another world championship this year. 

• Bob 1

13 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Honestly, I think the biggest thing is he wants to retire on his terms. He wasn’t giving that hostile Penn state crowd the satisfaction at OTT. He’s already got himself in excellent shape, so why not try to end on a high note of maybe winning another world title? He believes he’s capable, and I don’t doubt him

I doubt that has anything to do with it, and I have a feeling he knew all along he was going to try to make this year’s world team.  But I bet he retires if he doesn’t make the team, 1 because it’s in Nebraska and 2 because if he doesn’t make the team where Olympians can’t even compete then it’s probably going to be even tougher to do it in the future

Good for JB. I hope he makes the world team and wins it all and leaves his shoes on the mat to complete his storybook ending. 

When to hang it up in athletics and otherwise is a question all of us face. I'm one of those guys who think you might as well go until the wheels fall off. 

Make or miss the team, JB is a legend who has inspired many young people to wrestle. That's the biggest impact anyone can make on a sport. 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

was going to make another thread but seemed pointless this could be the last time we see JO or JB on the mat. I kind of already thought I had seen JO wrestle for the last time, so this seems more like a treat but still two of my favorites to ever do it.

2 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

was going to make another thread but seemed pointless this could be the last time we see JO or JB on the mat. I kind of already thought I had seen JO wrestle for the last time, so this seems more like a treat but still two of my favorites to ever do it.

JO as in Jordan Oliver?