Olympic Wrestling ... Day 5

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

If you are not smart enough to know the difference between fact and opinion, why should we think your opinion is smart?

No opinion stated just facts laid.  Dakes last loss at Olympics was for relying on chest wrap. Isn't that where coaches step in ? Yes. Another fact. 

Imagine having a talent like dake and underperforming with that talent ? 

• Fire 1

I feel horrible for Dake. Ugh. But he's so strong minded that I do not doubt that he will be ready for the bronze medal match.

As for Takatani, wow. Techs Garzon, techs Tsabolov, and takes out Dake 20-12 (after losing him 4-6 last year). My goodness.

1 minute ago, Eagle26 said:

That’s exactly what happened here! But what I can’t understand is that Dake used to have the lowest stance I’ve ever seen AND one of the best at scrambling. Guess he got too confident in his scrambling/chest wrap

IMG_1979.jpeg

A good stance doesn't let the other guy in in the first place- preventing the ability to practice scrambling.

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, denger said:

That probably is the playback time.

In the last few days on the same schedule, the last Gold Medal match has been wrapped up by about 4:00. Lee's will be the first Gold Medal match today, which has been landing about 1-1:30 Eastern.

Thanks.  That was my guess, but I didn't want to miss the live broadcast if it was available at that source (which seems to be double-listed as "USA Network".)    

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, larry_bird_enthusiast said:

Those chest wrap calls by the ref were terrible and dake should have ended up with at least 6 more points than he had by the end if they weren’t all called wildly in favor of takatani.  That said we all know he couldn’t let takatani get in on the leg as often as he did and sadly couldn’t keep him off it.  Feel bad for dake and hope he can bounce back

I had a bad feeling after seeing the ref was from Iran. Dake taking out an Iranian the previous round probably didn't help!

Just now, neweruser69 said:

I had a bad feeling after seeing the ref was from Iran. Dake taking out an Iranian the previous round probably didn't help!

I thought Dake didn't get enough credit in those chest wraps, notably the 2-2-1, but the refs felt his hips were grounded in those sitations.

Dake lost because of that leg lace. Ref didn't put him in it.

• Brain 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

Japan was better than Dake today. He let him get to the ankle far to easily and let Japan control the match. It was close last time they wrestled and Japan got him this time. Move on.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1

Scoring was questionable for sure, but I don't think I could score it differntly with USA glasses on and have Dake on top.

Dake lost because he didn't move his feet enough and the Takatani was great at finishing once he hit the low single.  Dake scored when he got to his offense but Japan was quicker on the attack. 

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, Gus said:

Japan was better than Dake today. He let him get to the ankle far to easily and let Japan control the match. It was close last time they wrestled and Japan got him this time. Move on.

Yep.

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Just now, Hurricane Wrestling said:

Ha!  Who was that poster on the old forum who self-pinned himself in the state finals and whose hero was the Iranian Abbas Jadidi?  He was hilarious - wish he'd return.

Lmao that guy was great. The (anti) heroic self fall 

Just now, Cowboy08 said:

hopefully the rumors are true and Dake goes to Stillwater to coach the Cowboy RTC now that his competitive career is likely over

Gotta think that’s the move, but in that recent article posted here he said he was 50/50 for 2028 (which I don’t really believe) 

8 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

I thought Dake didn't get enough credit in those chest wraps, notably the 2-2-1, but the refs felt his hips were grounded in those sitations.

Dake lost because of that leg lace. Ref didn't put him in it.

100% agree. Dake got beat straight up, just thought the score wasn't reflective of what I saw. Kyle unfortunately relies too much (and has been very successful) on his defense. It's a shame because I feel like if he kept on the offense in this one he would've won.

• Bob 1