Olympic wrestling... Day 1

22 minutes ago, Sheerstress said:

Sigh.....first Stevan, now Adam.  Tough beginning for the Michigan crew.

A 3-1 loss to the defending World Champ and odds-on favorite to win isn't that horrible.  He likely will get pulled in, if the Iranian gets by Lopez.

It could benefit Coon in that I could see Lopez not wrestling Repechage if he make sit through.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Too bad I'm at work... would like to see that match between Lopez Nunez & Mirzazadeh live.

(I'll have to see it later when I get home... )

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

It's been a long time since I've seen a wrestler just refuse to engage the way the Pole did against Elor. Almost backed straight out of the ring in the first 10 seconds. Could've easily been DQ'ed if Elor pressed the issue. But, Elor is smartly conserving her energy.

Edited by Voice of the Quakers

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

Lopez clears his biggest hurdle in his pursuit of a historic 5th Olympic gold! Was surprised the Iranian did not choose to take his opportunity on top? Lopez’s one turn ended up being the difference.

Unfortunately, for Coon it eliminates from the competition. Literally, the worst possible draw… he could have been the third best guy, but we will never know. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Lopez clears his biggest hurdle in his pursuit of a historic 5th Olympic gold! Was surprised the Iranian did not choose to take his opportunity on top? Lopez’s one turn ended up being the difference.

Unfortunately, for Coon it eliminates from the competition. Literally, the worst possible draw… he could have been the third best guy, but we will never know. 

16-man tournament. Opportunity to run a true double elimination with no wrestler competing in more than three bouts per day. But, FILA/UWW have never cared to use/understand the American bracket (you should've seen some of their attempts in 1995-96) and they never will.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

Wild match in the other quarter opposite Elor. PRK makes massive comeback when Indian opponent hurts her shoulder. Thought the Indian could've handled the situation (stalled) better. Elor will crush the North Korean in her semi.

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

2 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Wild match in the other quarter opposite Elor. PRK makes massive comeback when Indian opponent hurts her shoulder. Thought the Indian could've handled the situation (stalled) better. Elor will crush the North Korean in her semi.

That was miserable to watch.

I was a little bit relieved for her after the match. If she had held on, a semi-final of fending off Amit's ties would have been at least as miserable to watch. 

Amazing that Lopez is still on track to nab that 5th gold... and sorry to see Coon one & done.

D3

• Bob 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1 minute ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Some of these challenges are really desperate, if understandable.

I guess I understand why someone who clearly lost wants judges to look for something...but you lost, bud.

Makes me appreciate the French accent on "Challenge LOST!"

HOLY SHIT.

Ozaki down 6-4 gets a TD with a minute to go.

KGZ goes and gets one with 7 seconds left.

Ozaki was WC at 62 KG in 2022, at 65 KG in 2023 and does not make the Finals this year.  Stalled her way to a loss in the final seconds.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me