List of AIN Athletes from Russia and Belarusa

2 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

was not sure if this would go in mma or here Ill probably make a thread in mma as well but sidakov will not be training for Paris he is transitioning to mma.

He obviously wouldn't have been training for Paris at this point anyway.

4 minutes ago, maligned said:

He obviously wouldn't have been training for Paris at this point anyway.

I assumed similarly to the Sadulaev news from a few months ago they would train up until the date incase things were to change.

On 6/18/2024 at 8:24 PM, GrandOlm said:

There is an unusually high frequency of balding 20s and early 30s year olds in wrestling. And not all of them come from Russia. 

Correlated with excess testosterone production which makes sense

The plot thickens...

https://uww.org/article/uww-reallocates-16-olympic-games-paris-2024-quotas

Eligible and invited athletes with a Russian passport

• Nachin MONGUSH (MFS 57)
  • Shamil MAMEDOV (MFS 65)
  • Arslan BAGAEV (MFS 86)
  • Abdulla KURBANOV (MFS 125)
  • Alan OSTAEV (GR 87)
  • Magomed MURTAZALIEV (GR 97)
  • 5 Male Allocations Remain

• Natalya MALYSHEVA (WFS 53)
  • Veronika CHUMIKOVA (WFS 57) REFUSES INVITATION
  • Alina KASABIEVA (WFS 62)
  • Elizaveta PETLIAKOVA (WFS 68)
  • 1 Female Allocation Remains

Eligible and invited athletes with a Belarusian passport

• Yahor AKULICH (MFS 74) REFUSES INVITATION
  • Uladzislau KAZLOU (MFS 97) REFUSES INVITATION
  • Abubakar KHASLAKHANAU (GR 97)
  • Dzmitri ZARUBSKI (GR 130) REFUSES INVITATION
  • 3 Male Allocations Remain

• Viyaleta REBIKAVA (WFS 53 - ?) She’s competed at 50, but BLR qualified 53. REFUSES INVITATION
  • Krystsina SAZYKINA (WFS 62) REFUSES INVITATION
  • 1 Female Allocation Remains

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

So I guess they didn't allow any substitutions, since it was recently reported that Bey was now eligible.  Chamizo is now in too.  This was the right call by the IOC.

I assume that's also why some Russian/Belarusians athletes refuses the invite?  Some sort of protest?  Mostly Belarusian it looks like.

As it is, the present status is that only 10 of the 26 AINs put forth will be competing.  That's remarkable.  And it could be very harmful if not devastating to the Russian wrestling program, which has been struggling to keep their best athletes from defecting.  The loyalists will stick around, but they're also the ones most apt to be spotted in some pro-Putin parade and lose their AIN status.

My guess is a most of the AIN athletes will appeal their exclusion and some will win, so we'll see a few of these folks back in.  But personally I think the AIN has been a rubber-stamp for far too long, and I'm glad to see the IOC putting some teeth in their review.

Gratz to Bey.  Most exciting Greco wrestler left after Hancock bailed, and good to have him in the Games.

Edited by BAC
  • Bob 2

13 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

A dake title becomes much less meaningful. Dake has to be pissed 

Why is this Olympics different then a world cup ?

Without Russia wrestling is dead 

It’s that kind of (false) thinking that allows them to continue to go about business as if they are above the law. 

The Olympics is different from the World Cup because the Olympics is sanctioned and primarily governed by the international Olympic committee, where as the World Cup is UWW. 

On 6/28/2024 at 11:54 PM, alliseeisgold said:

A dake title becomes much less meaningful. Dake has to be pissed 

Why is this Olympics different then a world cup ?

Without Russia wrestling is dead 

Meh, disagree. If Dake gets gold, most people will see it as just that. A small percentage of wrestling die-hards will discount the gold because of no Russia or Belarus, but keep in mind that there will still be four Russians at 74kg representing other countries.

• Bob 1

PNWfan

On 7/1/2024 at 9:31 PM, PNWfan said:

Meh, disagree. If Dake gets gold, most people will see it as just that. A small percentage of wrestling die-hards will discount the gold because of no Russia or Belarus, but keep in mind that there will still be four Russians at 74kg representing other countries.

You're not wrong, but sadly the Russian, that just so happens to be #1 at 74kg, will be missing.  I didn't really consider Kadimagomedov a threat to gold, especially after last year's worlds performance.