Yianni spotted in Stillwater, OK

I'd assume he's getting poached to the RTC, unfortunately cornell seems to be having problems retaining the big names.

Incidentally, yianni could very much benefit from the OSU traditional style, though that seems destined to change. He's said himself that he's not that physical, uses lots of elbows (though they don't seem to work like they used to for anyone), and his motion is kind of plodding and russian, but it seems to make him vulnerable. The whole OSU mongoose stance would probably help his head and hands defense and only sacrifice the physicality that he doesn't really have anyway...additionally he has seemingly every misdirection in the book, so that feeds into the style as well.

Normally I'd scoff at someone suggesting such a dramatic change to such an experienced wrestler, but he seems like he's hit a wall, and the great ones can make changes late.

• Brain 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

41 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

He was eating breakfast with David Taylor this week. Is he training there? Is he going to coach there? 

Ahh ... what restaurant?  Checking to see if DT knows his way around town.  

14 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

The whole OSU mongoose stance would probably help his head and hands defense and only sacrifice the physicality that he doesn't really have anyway...

🤔

q1ir9z1lRSWQyG6wGL9n--1--yvaom.jpg?tr=w-

• Bob 1

46 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Normally I'd scoff at someone suggesting such a dramatic change to such an experienced wrestler, but he seems like he's hit a wall, and the great ones can make changes late.

I don't know how anyone could look at Yianni's post-collegiate career trajectory and think he needs to do anything other than make a dramatic change.  

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

I don't know how anyone could look at Yianni's post-collegiate career trajectory and think he needs to do anything other than make a dramatic change.  

yeah...I'm a fan so I couched the opinion very nicely.

18 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

yeah...I'm a fan so I couched the opinion very nicely.

To be fair to Yianni, he's had some injuries.  But It's been two years since his silver and I feel like every time I've seen him since then he's looked worse.  

Dake left for NLWC in September 2022.  Coincidence?  

18 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

To be fair to Yianni, he's had some injuries.  But It's been two years since his silver and I feel like every time I've seen him since then he's looked worse.  

Dake left for NLWC in September 2022.  Coincidence?  

I'd say so, I too think Yianni was limited at trials, and its hard to complain about the NLWC swooping up Dake. Even if both situations are equal Dake had probably gotten everything out of ithaca that he could have.

I'll just repeat what I said before, because I hadnt thought of it before but think I'm on to something...the whole "russian" affect of Yianni's stance and style might be the problem. He'd commented in college that he could beat guys but not "break" them like Gabe Dean was doing, and it seemed like a lot of that is down to the Gabe's fakes and hand fighting got a lot more reactions out of his opponents, i don't think Yianni is ever gonna handfight like that, but he could get a lot better reactions our of opponents if he switched his stance up...

• Bob 3

I see the OkSt "style" could help Yanni this and that. The OkSt style is whatever DT makes it to be now. Coaches change, styles change. DT was brought there to make the CHANGES necessary to win a national title, not to keep things the same. Let's see what changes come about and the impact those changes have.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

I see the OkSt "style" could help Yanni this and that. The OkSt style is whatever DT makes it to be now. Coaches change, styles change. DT was brought there to make the CHANGES necessary to win a national title, not to keep things the same. Let's see what changes come about and the impact those changes have.

yeah thats why I said its about to change....doesn't mean I can't reference it if  its pertinent to the conversation.

On 6/14/2024 at 1:19 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

I'd assume he's getting poached to the RTC, unfortunately cornell seems to be having problems retaining the big names.

Incidentally, yianni could very much benefit from the OSU traditional style, though that seems destined to change. He's said himself that he's not that physical, uses lots of elbows (though they don't seem to work like they used to for anyone), and his motion is kind of plodding and russian, but it seems to make him vulnerable. The whole OSU mongoose stance would probably help his head and hands defense and only sacrifice the physicality that he doesn't really have anyway...additionally he has seemingly every misdirection in the book, so that feeds into the style as well.

Does the traditional OSU style even apply when the new staff is brought in from the outside, wrestled their careers at other schools, and presumably have the PSU “approach” given their recent coaching experience?

Edited by BuckyBadger

4 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Does the traditional OSU style even apply when the new staff is brought in from the outside, wrestled their careers at other schools, and presumably have the PSU “approach” given their recent coaching experience?

probably not as I already said, regardless my point stands just as a technical observation. Second time someone has reminded me that David Taylor isn't john smith....

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BuckyBadger said:

Agreed, I could see Yianni doing well with Taylor guiding him.

well based on what I've been expressing this topic, if I had to pick a guy it might be zeke jones at this point. Not that I like the ASU style I absolutely hate it.

• Bob 1

On 6/14/2024 at 3:13 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

I'll just repeat what I said before, because I hadnt thought of it before but think I'm on to something...the whole "russian" affect of Yianni's stance and style might be the problem. He'd commented in college that he could beat guys but not "break" them like Gabe Dean was doing, and it seemed like a lot of that is down to the Gabe's fakes and hand fighting got a lot more reactions out of his opponents, i don't think Yianni is ever gonna handfight like that, but he could get a lot better reactions our of opponents if he switched his stance up...

I cannot imagine how good he could be offensively if he could shoot from ties rather than 3 feet away from someone. He has an unreal ability to pull shots in but against the best guys he seems to get stuck or countered there about as often as he scores. he started to utilize elbow control a lot more around that 2022 world run but it seems like he's gotten away from that, he had a really nice outside step as well as a duck/boot scoot from elbow control that he hit on amouzad twice. Ultimately, I would just like to see him get in more positions where his hips are under him when he's shooting, as well as like you said get more reactions out of people.

• Bob 1

On 6/16/2024 at 11:54 AM, BuckyBadger said:

Agreed, I could see Yianni doing well with Taylor guiding him.

It sort of seems like a no-brainer.  For starters, Taylor is one of a very small handful of people who is skilled enough to break down his style and find a bunch of subtle ways he could improve.  But more than that, he knows inside and out the styles of the 2 guys who Yianni has been stuck behind, Lee and Zain.  Short of joining the NLWC, which probably isn't an option, it's hard to imagine who would be better suited to pushing Yianni to the next level.

• Bob 2

• 3 weeks later...

If he is going to stay he would be foolish if he does not make contact with John Smith and get the benefit of his knowledge. Work with that as well as Taylor and see if he can push to the next level.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

4 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

If he is going to stay he would be foolish if he does not make contact with John Smith and get the benefit of his knowledge. Work with that as well as Taylor and see if he can push to the next level.

thanks pyles

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2024 at 10:37 AM, BuckyBadger said:

It doesn't.  Someone doesn't have a clue here.