Austin O’Connor MMA

@1032004 It's all good, my friend! This deserves it's own thread. I appreciate that you did that. 

And from the ILLINI Wrestling Blog & Forum & Beyond Plus:

Camden Fontenot came out wearing swim trunks. WTF? 

All The Irish Nightmare in round one. Huge throw down from a bear hug from O'Connor. Then, ground and pound for the rest of the round. Throws a leg in, hip control. Throwing lefts and rights.  "AOC, AOC, AOC" chants from the crowd. 

First time I've seen a chicken wing for more than :30 in an MMA fight. 

Fontenot comes out in the second round like a Power Ranger with high kicks. Austin puts him on his back almost immediately. Slams him down. Sticks in a leg and pounds his head and ribcage. The announcers call it "Big Brothering" him. 

"It's like a martial art form I've never seen before."

TKO in the third from ground and pound. 

The announcers were on point the whole way through the bout with, "Miranda Rights were read." After winning, "Some of the most creative and mean wrestling I've ever seen." In his interview, AOC showed a little potty mouth, with the "F" and the "A," but he sounded good, and he sounded tough.

I understand boxing and MMA give every fighter "a floor" when scoring. That usually means, even when one fighter dominates, the other guy still gets 7 points on the scorecard. A dominant round would be 10-7. 

Each of the three rounds in this bout shoulda been 10-0. Maybe 30-3 for the whole fight. Maybe. But ground and pound ended it. Just vicious. Fontenot has a wrestling background, but as the announcers said, and the folks at Intermatwrestle.com keep saying: "There are levels to this." 

Hoping he goes the ufc route this was on fight pass so that's encouraging. A lot of guys have been going bellator and PFL which is still awesome but they dont get the media. Pico,JO,Meredith,Colgen,Sabbatello,Stotts,Palmer,Bubba are all in those orgs.

• Bob 1

47 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Hoping he goes the ufc route this was on fight pass so that's encouraging. A lot of guys have been going bellator and PFL which is still awesome but they dont get the media. Pico,JO,Meredith,Colgen,Sabbatello,Stotts,Palmer,Bubba are all in those orgs.

What is the money situation like for the average fighter? PFL has a TON of money behind it.🛢️

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

What is the money situation like for the average fighter? PFL has a TON of money behind it.🛢️

I think the floor is probably much higher but nowhere near the top earners of the UFC. So it probably makes a lot of sense to start out there.

He is one of the most accomplished college wrestlers to enter MMA - 4x AA, 3rd, 1st, 8th, 1st.  Besides Nickal and Jordan Oliver(is he really fighting?), I think AOC is the third most accomplished wrestler active in MMA. Correct me if I am wrong. 

26 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

He is one of the most accomplished college wrestlers to enter MMA - 4x AA, 3rd, 1st, 8th, 1st.  Besides Nickal and Jordan Oliver(is he really fighting?), I think AOC is the third most accomplished wrestler active in MMA. Correct me if I am wrong. 

Ed Ruth

31 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

1-0 but hasn't fought in ten months.

23 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I don't think he is active? I thought he retired after a career where he did not meet expectations that many had for him.

(8-3, two straight losses, hasn't fought in almost four years. Listed as retired.)

Sorry, poor reading on my part

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Sorry, poor reading on my part

Not a problem! Made for a bit of research for me, which I enjoy doing.

Ruth seems a bit of an enigma, too.  I've seen him him listed as a coach for the Illini on this board in recent months, but from my understanding, he has been living in the Balkans with his wife for some time now.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

Would Joey Davis be considered as more accomplished as a wrestler?  He is active and I believe just signed with the DWCS.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/67594-joe-davis

Logan Storley never won a title, but was a 4x AA as well.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/109294-logan-storley-storm

Johnny Eblen is as peak as you can get with not being in the UFC, but he wasn't near the caliber wrestler of either of the above.  I believe R16 was his best performance at NCAAs.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/140953-johnny-eblen-john

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Would Joey Davis be considered as more accomplished as a wrestler?  He is active and I believe just signed with the DWCS.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/67594-joe-davis

Logan Storley never won a title, but was a 4x AA as well.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/109294-logan-storley-storm

Johnny Eblen is as peak as you can get with not being in the UFC, but he wasn't near the caliber wrestler of either of the above.  I believe R16 was his best performance at NCAAs.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/140953-johnny-eblen-john

Joey looked absolutely awful in his last fight he was so out of shape, was a tough look for me because I was telling all my friends how good he was. I would say Meredith Is one of the more credentialed and pico despite not having a college career. Not an american but Rinya nakamura won u23's in 2017 and took 5th at senior worlds the same year.

• Fire 1