Beat the Streets

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

In an interview Jesse said he wished the match was at 65 but he was going to take it no matter the weight. I really sold my stock on him after his true freshman year but I don't know that I have seen someone get better nearly every time I see them wrestle in the way that he has.

I remember feeling pretty good about his freshman year. Sixth place as a true freshman at a tough weight made me a buyer.

• Bob 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

On a 19-9 true freshman who was sixth at the national tourney? Bet you were feeling pretty smug after that Mathews match...:classic_dry:

I just had such high expectations after the senior level success he had going into that year. I think he was up 8 on gross before getting his poistion reversed going for a gut and subsequently getting trap armed as well as having multiple wins over AA's. I just did not expect to see him lose to someone like nagao. In the grand scheme of things his TF year was very good just in my brain I thought he was going to be a title contender immediately. He also was really not very competitive with RBY or Vito.

38 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

he came out completely different as a sophomore. He was a true freshman AA, but he did do it with all grit - ultimate tie breaker 3 matches in a row. Heading into this past season, I was not expecting an NCAA title until his performance at CKLV. 

I remember thinking after his V-tech match he was a different guy this year. He wrestled a true freshman but the way he just was seemingly drilling on him just felt like something really clicked for him. His mat game jumped numerous levels as well and that was apparent in that match.

• Bob 1

14 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

I remember thinking after his V-tech match he was a different guy this year. He wrestled a true freshman but the way he just was seemingly drilling on him just felt like something really clicked for him. His mat game jumped numerous levels as well and that was apparent in that match.

Yeah and to be honest, as a Buckeye fan, I was pretty sold on him from listening to him in interviews. He says the right things, all the time, but you Believe it and his new approach and tactics last season backed it all up.

• Bob 1

6 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Yeah and to be honest, as a Buckeye fan, I was pretty sold on him from listening to him in interviews. He says the right things, all the time, but you Believe it and his new approach and tactics last season backed it all up.

He's a very serious individual.  Almost to the point where you feel like as a fan, "lighten up man, it's OK to have some fun."  But it's a result of the standard that he sets for himself.  He has ultimate confidence, something you can't fake but have to earn.  

I haven't heard him say it but I'd venture a guess that he wasn't happy with his season last year.  He lost twice.  His bonus rate was only 69%.  He didn't separate himself from the pack at the NCAA tournament.  I think it's pretty much a guarantee that he's focused on widening that gap with a dogged determination.  

• Bob 1

On 6/6/2024 at 1:08 PM, steamboat_charlie said:

He's a very serious individual.  Almost to the point where you feel like as a fan, "lighten up man, it's OK to have some fun."  But it's a result of the standard that he sets for himself.  He has ultimate confidence, something you can't fake but have to earn.  

I haven't heard him say it but I'd venture a guess that he wasn't happy with his season last year.  He lost twice.  His bonus rate was only 69%.  He didn't separate himself from the pack at the NCAA tournament.  I think it's pretty much a guarantee that he's focused on widening that gap with a dogged determination.  

Love the way he wrestles and his demeanor. He's got that savage mentality that Sasso brings to the table. Kid just wants to wrestle, doesn't wanna duck anyone, and is ready for all competition no matter what. Fun for the sport!

• Fire 1