Penn State lineup questions

6 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Let's go one at a time here.

125 PSU tried Steen. Did not work out. They tried Robert Howard who appeared to still be suffering from past shoulder problems. Did not work out. Insert Davis and he ends up over performing at the weight. And before you say he was a 133 in high school, so what? Didn't Drake Ayala just compete at about 125 this past weekend. Maybe Iowa cuts at a high level too? 

157 Haines NCAA Champ. Seems like the right call. Maybe he could have gone 165 and Messenbrink 157, but so what? Seems like both wrestled well at their weights. 

174 Starocci. 4x Champ. Won on one leg, then went and wrestled 74 Kg at Trials. 

I never said that they were unsuccessful but rather that they had large cuts. Plenty of wrestlers with huge cuts have had success - Jordan Oliver, Alex Dierringer, the Hidlay brothers, etc come to mind. 

12 minutes ago, Gus said:

I never said that they were unsuccessful but rather that they had large cuts. Plenty of wrestlers with huge cuts have had success - Jordan Oliver, Alex Dierringer, the Hidlay brothers, etc come to mind. 

Its true some wrestlers with large cuts have success and I am not arguing that. I just cant carve Penn State out like they are some sort of outlier which is nonsense. 

I think people are saying this because the general consensus for a while seemed to be guys wrestled where they walked around at for them. You have to send out your best lineup which they obviously do, and it works for them but that is a result of cutting weight and I think that will continue as their room gets more and more occupied by multiple AA type guys at each weight.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

So "information coming out of state college" now is bonafide "facts". I thought it was de facto rumor mill, regardless of how big any wrestler appears to be. 

I've heard DT and RBY say it with my own ears.  DT on multiple occasions.  

Also Brooks and Starocci.  

You must not get out much.

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

Its true some wrestlers with large cuts have success and I am not arguing that. I just cant carve Penn State out like they are some sort of outlier which is nonsense. 

Who said they were an outlier?  You were the first to use that term.  Please go back and re-read.  I thought guys were wrestling near their natural weight for a long time.  DT for example.  This is clearly not the case.

Didn't Drake Ayala just compete at about 125 this past weekend. Maybe Iowa cuts at a high level too? 

Drake may be getting big for 125.  He may be experimenting with 133.  Iowa has known to have been  bigweight cutters, at least historically.  

I haven't heard much about a lot of their guys having "tough cuts" for a bit now, but it is possible.

But this isn't about them, it is about a surprising large number of PSU guys saying they have have had tough cuts.  I just did not expect that.

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

I think people are saying this because the general consensus for a while seemed to be guys wrestled where they walked around at for them. You have to send out your best lineup which they obviously do, and it works for them but that is a result of cutting weight and I think that will continue as their room gets more and more occupied by multiple AA type guys at each weight.

Better way of putting it. 

When guys move up it is almost a stock answer to say that, "I wanted to focus on getting better at wrestling not cutting weight." I always wonder about weight classes then I stood next to Zain Retherford in Moe's one day and next to Bo Bartlett at a convenience store another time and realized these guys are pretty small overall. 

11 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I've heard DT and RBY say it with my own ears.  DT on multiple occasions.  

Also Brooks and Starocci.  

You must not get out much.

I hear them talk about cutting weight, but nothing more than others wrestlers who talk about cutting weight. They do get interviewed more. 

8 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

What universe to you live in?  Holy crap!

I can't edit that post. Note taken, his injury made his desire for 74Kg impossible. That was his original intention. 

• Bob 1

125 PSU tried Steen. Did not work out. They tried Robert Howard who appeared to still be suffering from past shoulder problems. Did not work out. Insert Davis and he ends up over performing at the weight. And before you say he was a 133 in high school, so what? Didn't Drake Ayala just compete at about 125 this past weekend. Maybe Iowa cuts at a high level too? 

157 Haines NCAA Champ. Seems like the right call. Maybe he could have gone 165 and Messenbrink 157, but so what? Seems like both wrestled well at their weights. 

174 Starocci. 4x Champ. Won on one leg, then went and wrestled 74 Kg at Trials. 

Starocci didn't wrestle 74 KG.

Also, Davis was only up in weight for their team, same as Swiderski the year before.  Dundee is a small school team and needs their hammers to be flexible.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Why are you so sensitive?  Enjoy your titles, stop crying about perceived slights.

Your post count mak3es this question funny. Who is sensitive? 

Just now, Pinnacle said:

I can't edit that post. Note taken, his injury made his desire for 74Kg impossible. That was his original intention. 

If he's near weight, it shouldn't have been a problem  Never was for Spencer Lee.

You literally said he wrestled 74 kg at trials.  That is what you said and believed.  Why would you say he wrestled at 86 kg?  Wouldn't have made your point.  

sad

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Starocci didn't wrestle 74 KG.

Also, Davis was only up in weight for their team, same as Swiderski the year before.  Dundee is a small school team and needs their hammers to be flexible.

Noted above on Starocci freestyle.

What you state about Davis makes my point. It isn't like he is a big cutter. 

• Bob 1