Spencer Lee vs Caitlin Clark ($$$)

Two Iowa Goats, see picture for reference:

GOAT Talk – Caitlin Clark and Spencer Lee

Caitlin Clark just signed a $28 million endorsement deal with Nike.  $28,000,000 on top of what she'll earn from her WNBA contract.  Meanwhile what is Spencer Lee getting?  He's basically the Caitlin Clark of wrestling and just dominated OTT.  

Crazy how little wrestlers get paid compared to other sports...Spencer would be extremely lucky to make 10% of what Caitlin Clark will make from her Nike deal alone.

I would venture to guess if real woods got 300k to wrestle for 2 seasons spencer got close to a million for signing with the Hawkeye wrestling club and I'm sure his Rudis deal is very lucrative as well. For our sport I think he's living pretty comfortably.

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

I would venture to guess if real woods got 300k to wrestle for 2 seasons spencer got close to a million for signing with the Hawkeye wrestling club and I'm sure his Rudis deal is very lucrative as well. For our sport I think he's living pretty comfortably.

and don't forget the LensCrafters deal. 

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

Some of these college athletes have amazing NIL deals. Last year, based on known deals (according one media outlet), some interesting figures (but not all the top figures) are as follows:

• Bronny James -- $4.9 million
  • Shedeur Sanders -- $4.7 million
  • Livvy Dunne -- $3.6 million
  • Caitlin Clark -- $3.1 million
  • Angel Reese -- $1.8 million

Not sure how reliable these numbers are, but it gives you a picture of how much money is at play for some athletes. I can only assume that these athletes spend time marketing themselves.

2 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

You know..it took me a while to see what others on the board see with you.

Now i do , i understand the hatred. Another stupid post. 

it particularly annoying when you don't know if its a lame troll or authentic stupidity.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Ok I’ll bite. Obviously, Spencer Lee is not on the level of Caitlyn Clark. She has raised interest in her sport like no other before. I posted this in another thread but the closest wrestling example would be Burroughs during his early title runs

3 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

Come on here, you have to be a woke leftist with all yours. 

• Clown 1

1 hour ago, Southend said:

Come on here, you have to be a woke leftist with all yours. 

"yOu HaVe tO Be A wOkE lEFtisT" lmao. Grow up. 

Maturing is realizing that not everybody has the same political views as you and them having differing opinions doesn't really impact you at all. 

To your point, no, I'm not left. Left is too center for me. But you can keep stroking yourself to your trump flag and using his buzzwords. Im sure that will help him win office in a few months 😆

Edited by TNwrestling
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 2
  • Poopy 1
  • Clown 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

$28,000,000 on top of what she'll earn from her WNBA contract. 

Clark's WNBA contract will pay her $76,535 this year.  That's why WNBA stars play overseas during the off-season; the salaries suck.

• Bob 2

19 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Two Iowa Goats, see picture for reference:

GOAT Talk – Caitlin Clark and Spencer Lee

Caitlin Clark just signed a $28 million endorsement deal with Nike.  $28,000,000 on top of what she'll earn from her WNBA contract.  Meanwhile what is Spencer Lee getting?  He's basically the Caitlin Clark of wrestling and just dominated OTT.  

Crazy how little wrestlers get paid compared to other sports...Spencer would be extremely lucky to make 10% of what Caitlin Clark will make from her Nike deal alone.

Can you imagine how bad she'd beat his short ass at a game of one on one. She'd bat down all of his shots 😄

20 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

Aside from your hate post, it’s a decent thread, so far. Jimmy makes the forum more interesting and entertaining. 

• Brain 1

Well as a start, it would be nice to know what kind of money guys like Burroughs, Taylor, Spencer etc make in endorsement deals.  Obviously it’s not $28 million, but it seems like Clark is shattering even previous women’s basketball numbers, not just wrestlers.

Edited by 1032004

46 minutes ago, Fred said:

Aside from your hate post, it’s a decent thread, so far. Jimmy makes the forum more interesting and entertaining. 

Jimmy burner account confirmed

It isnt a decent thread. She brought more eyes to the school than Spencer did. More air time on tv. Did you know the WNBA draft had never sold a SINGLE ticket to their draft...this year they sold out tickets. Bc of her. So OF COURSE she has a bigger deal with Nike than Spencer does. Its common sense. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred said:

He does and I support him, most of the time - but not always. I especially like how he quietly dismisses the jealous haters by not acknowledging them while continuing to post as he sees fit. 

• Bob 1

20 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

it particularly annoying when you don't know if its a lame troll or authentic stupidity.

I never give people credit for being a troll. I never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. If people want to act stupid I will gladly believe them.

4 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

I never give people credit for being a troll. I never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. If people want to act stupid I will gladly believe them.

Yet, you’re here contributing to another one of his threads??? Give it a rest already would ya. 

16 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

Clark's WNBA contract will pay her $76,535 this year.  That's why WNBA stars play overseas during the off-season; the salaries suck.

WNBA has a players' association and collectively bargains with the league. If the league is able to retain even a fraction of the viewership that Clark and other women generated this year, the players will finally have a leg to stand on in those negotiations when they go back to the table in 2025 or 2026.  

I'm not a huge fan of the game but it's awesome to witness a transformational movement in real time.  Hopefully they can capitalize on the momentum, the business booms, and the women get paid.  

• Brain 1

52 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

What? Your entire account is trolling another poster?   The lack of self awareness is stunning. 

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie said:

WNBA has a players' association and collectively bargains with the league. If the league is able to retain even a fraction of the viewership that Clark and other women generated this year, the players will finally have a leg to stand on in those negotiations when they go back to the table in 2025 or 2026.  

I'm not a huge fan of the game but it's awesome to witness a transformational movement in real time.  Hopefully they can capitalize on the momentum, the business booms, and the women get paid.  

As far as I know, the WNBA has lost money every year it has existed. It exists because the NBA subsidizes it. Until the WNBA actually makes money, the players’ union is going to have a hard time making any demands. 

• Brain 2

1 hour ago, peanut said:

As far as I know, the WNBA has lost money every year it has existed. It exists because the NBA subsidizes it. Until the WNBA actually makes money, the players’ union is going to have a hard time making any demands. 

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification.  The WNBA has been operating at a loss, but not radically so.  It wouldn't even require that dramatic of an uptick in attendance and viewership for them to operate in the black.  

People invest in currently unprofitable businesses all the time, and the income statement is just one way to value an enterprise.  If the WNBA opens up for expansion they can expect to receive significant expansion fees as people are looking to get in now in what they view as a sport with serious growth potential. Similar to MLS, expansion fees would be split between WNBA equity holders. 

What I'm getting at is that even if the operation is losing money on paper, the league and its owners are holding an appreciating asset, with serious potential for outsized capital gains via expansion fees.   They did a capital raise a year or two ago valuing the whole league near $1 billion. 

Point being, the players do have some leverage.  Not only based on the financial realities of the league, but also based on public pressure that they'll be able to leverage through the media.  Whether you agree with it or not, it's a lever they can pull that will put real pressure on the NBA & owners. 

Negotiations in the past have always had the specter of potential league closure as a looming possibility. There is a zero percent chance the NBA is going to shut down the WNBA now, just when their years of investment in a losing business is finally poised to take off.  

• Bob 1

13 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

" There is a zero percent chance the NBA is going to shut down the WNBA now, just when their years of investment in a losing business is finally poised to take off. " 

I sincerely do not know. Is the NBA investors (ownership stake of some portion) or has the money given been just a gift/charity? Is the NBA supporting financially as an INVESTMENT?