Rumours

6 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

I heard a rumor that there’s going to be some big names hitting the portal today and tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don’t get it with these kids. One day they post how much they love the program and then a couples days later, bam. In the portal

17 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

My knee-jerk was Mike Grey getting poached by someone in the big ten.  He's done a great job a few years in a row, Vito just graduated, and Vito was the last light weight guy he had a lot of years with in the room before becoming head coach.

It would be lame for Cornell, but with the "Ivy League" becoming a thing, that will really take the shine off of Cornell's dominance in the future, going from a tier 1B conference to a tier 3 conference impacts schedules somehow.  Grey is also coming off the best result he will have for a very long time as a coach, great time to find a new place somewhere else.

It would have to be a really top team though at a school that really supports its program.  Harvard gives zero craps about its program. They just have more money than god, and Weiss (seemingly) does a very good job of keeping the team on the university's good side.  

And not to intentionally poo-poo the idea of Tanelli going to Buffalo, but it seems like he's got the Columbia team built to a higher standard than Buffalo has been performing at, AND he has access to NYC, his high school stomping grounds for recruiting, and the pull of New York City.  With another year or two, Columbia will be the perennial #2 behind Cornell (assuming Grey stays).  Punching someone through to the semifinals this year was a big big deal.  

Results from Penn v. Columiba this year
125 – Nick Babin (C) def. #29 Max Gallager (P), 4-0 DEC – Columbia leads 3-0
133 – #10 Michael Colaiocco (P) def. Yanni Vines (C), 19-4 TF – Penn leads 5-3
141 - #16 CJ Composto (P) def. Kai Owen (C), 9-3 DEC – Penn leads 8-3
149 –Andy Troczynski (P) def. Richard Fedalen (C), 11-2 MD – Penn leads 12-3
157 - #23 Lucas Revano (P) def. David Berkovich (C) 18 – 5 MD – Penn leads 16-3
165 – Kaya Sement (P) def. Kyle Mosher (C), 8-2 DEC – Penn leads 19-3
174 - #7 Nick Incontrera (P) def. #7 Lennox Wolak (C), 5-3 DEC – Penn leads 22-3
184 - #17 Maximus Hale (P) def. #19 Aaron Ayzerov (C), 9-4 DEC – Penn leads 25-3
197 – #24 Cole Urbas (P) def. #27 Jack Wehmeyer (C), 7-1 DEC – Penn leads 28-3
285 – John Stout (P) def. Billy McChesney (C), 10-6 DEC – Penn wins 31-3

125 match above was closer than the score might indicate.

• Bob 1

last years Penn v Columbia dual

#24 Penn 25 | Columbia 9
125: #30 Ryan Miller (PENN) dec. #26 Nick Babin (COL), 4-3 (3-0)
133: #9 Michael Colaiocco (PENN) def. #26 Angelo Rini (COL), F, 2:23 (9-0)
141: #24 Matt Kazmir (COL) dec. Carmen Ferrante (PENN), 1-0 (9-3)
149: #11 Doug Zapf (PENN) dec. Danny Fongaro (COL), 5-1 (12-3)
157: #21 Cesar Alvan (COL) dec. #12 Anthony Artalona (PENN), 7-5 SV-1 (12-6)
165: #17 Joshua Ogunsanya (COL) dec. Lucas Revano (PENN), 3-1 SV-1 (12-9)
174: #17 Nick Incontrera (PENN) maj. dec. #26 Lennox Wolak (COL), 10-2 (16-9)
184: Maximus Hale (PENN) dec. Aaron Ayzerov (COL), 7-2 (19-9)
197: #33 Cole Urbas (PENN) dec. Jack Wehmeyer (COL), 4-2 (22-9)
285: #32 Ben Goldin (PENN) dec. Billy McChesney (COL), 6-0 (25-9)

• Bob 1

59 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Sounds like the rumor is that Tannelli would leave Columbia to take Brewer's spot at Virginia Tech.  Which would open up a head coach role at Columbia

If true wonder why he’d give a head coach position for an assistant? Must be more than is publicly known or coincidence that their 174 is transferring to VT too

No idea if true.  But I wonder about quality of life in NYC.  If similar pay some may feel life is way better in a less expensive locale.  Family preferences can impact things as well.  There is a lot that goes into having a happy life.  

Edited by Dark Energy
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

No idea if true.  But I wonder about quality of life in NYC.  If similar pay some may feel life is way better in a less expensive locale.  Family preferences can impact things as well.  There is a lot that goes into having a happy life.  

This is a great point.  No matter how hard they may try, NYC proper is not a hub for wrestling, which is kind of astonishing considering how much north jersey and bergen county are.  

Letting go of a head coach position would be a pretty sizable step down in career path though, especially since he was at the helm for bringing a kid to AA status while swimming upstream running a program in Manhattan.  

25 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

This is a great point.  No matter how hard they may try, NYC proper is not a hub for wrestling, which is kind of astonishing considering how much north jersey and bergen county are.  

Letting go of a head coach position would be a pretty sizable step down in career path though, especially since he was at the helm for bringing a kid to AA status while swimming upstream running a program in Manhattan.  

Maybe it would not be though. Let’s say VTech stays on the same path, top 5-10 every year, plus he has head coaching experience. He would be a more attractive candidate than other assistants who would be applying for a Big job. 

When Bono gets fired by Wisconsin, he will be a very attractive candidate being a alumni and with requisite head coaching experience.

• Bob 2

22 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Maybe it would not be though. Let’s say VTech stays on the same path, top 5-10 every year, plus he has head coaching experience. He would be a more attractive candidate than other assistants who would be applying for a Big job. 

When Bono gets fired by Wisconsin, he will be a very attractive candidate being a alumni and with requisite head coaching experience.

There are definitely layers to this thought process.

I am clearly still new to the "chess not checkers" level of coaching movement analysis.  

• Bob 1

44 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

Why did Brewer leave? Yes it is a promotion on paper, but man I would think cost of living would get him. 

I think showing that you can handle the recruiting and fundraising as well as the in room coaching plays a big role in getting hired as a head coach to larger programs. So, I'm guessing he's looking at it not as a permanent position but to show he can play the game in a way that an assistant coach may not have to.

• Brain 1

1 hour ago, H82Lose said:

Why did Brewer leave? Yes it is a promotion on paper, but man I would think cost of living would get him. 

More responsibility + pay bump.  Cost of living in NJ isn't radically different than VA. Housing cost is the main differentiator, perhaps Princeton will also help him out in that regard to bridge the gap.  

• Fire 1

On 4/14/2024 at 10:19 PM, Lunaticfringe said:

No matter what your personal opinions are, college institutions do not want to deal with coaches posting stuff that Brandon Slay has recently. There are plenty of coaches with the same opinions he has but they don’t need to run their big yaps on social media. 

Yeah no kidding, especially with universities obviously siding with being inclusive and supporting more left leaning LGBTQ views. His tweets were shared by a few big names in the sport ridiculing them. Not a smart move to post things like that publicly, but isn't he just the RTC coach? 

29 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Yeah no kidding, especially with universities obviously siding with being inclusive and supporting more left leaning LGBTQ views. His tweets were shared by a few big names in the sport ridiculing them. Not a smart move to post things like that publicly, but isn't he just the RTC coach? 

Count me on Brandon Slay's side of this. 12 year old children performing drag is absolutely disgusting. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 3
  • Jagger 1
  • Racing Family 1

8 minutes ago, Gus said:

Count me on Brandon Slay's side of this. 12 year old children performing drag is absolutely disgusting. 

Keep that same energy when it comes to child beauty pageants then too...

• Bob 2
  • Fire 3
  • Clown 1

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Regardless of how you or Brandon Slay feel about the situation, it's still stupid of him to post about it on Twitter. He was hired to run the RTC, not to be the guy in the room who thinks he's speaking the hard truths and stirring up controversy. 

• Bob 1

21 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Why?

Don't go too far down this rabbit hole...from what I gather, the North Face tried to do some moral boasting with a donation to a particular organization...and is now trying to manage its perception within the LGBTetc community by making another donation to an organization with a different mission.  

They stuck their right foot in with a donation to one place...then tried to course correct and got their second foot stuck...now they are fully in it.

Edited by wrestle87

37 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Don't go too far down this rabbit hole...from what I gather, the North Face tried to do some moral boasting with a donation to a particular organization...and is now trying to manage its perception within the LGBTetc community by making another donation to an organization with a different mission.  

They stuck their right foot in with a donation to one place...then tried to course correct and got their second foot stuck...now they are fully in it.

Just curious why they think its disgusting? I guess really what 'it' is that they feel is disgusting. 

A child dressing up and doing a presentation like an adult would in an environment meant for adults? Ya, that would probably be a little disturbing, the way horror movies are more horrible if a child is used as the terror element. Seems way out of place. 

But if they mean, dressing up in clothes that, they themselves wouldn't allow their child to dress in and maybe portraying a character in a school play, or just dancing around like children do. What is disgusting about that? That seems like something a child would do. Like putting on their parents' shoes and try to walk around. Adorable!

One is disturbing, ya. The other, not at all. Even a little. 

49 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Just curious why they think its disgusting? I guess really what 'it' is that they feel is disgusting. 

A child dressing up and doing a presentation like an adult would in an environment meant for adults? Ya, that would probably be a little disturbing, the way horror movies are more horrible if a child is used as the terror element. Seems way out of place. 

But if they mean, dressing up in clothes that, they themselves wouldn't allow their child to dress in and maybe portraying a character in a school play, or just dancing around like children do. What is disgusting about that? That seems like something a child would do. Like putting on their parents' shoes and try to walk around. Adorable!

One is disturbing, ya. The other, not at all. Even a little. 

They think they're grooming / brainwashing children into become drag queens or transgender. 

9 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

They think they're grooming / brainwashing children into become drag queens or transgender. 

Every single human is brainwashed or groomed by their parents. Whether that be with LGBTQ or organized religion, it’s basically the same concept. Ram a bunch of BS down kids throats long enough so they believe it and then once they are adults they will pass it to the next generation. LGBTQ is just the lefts version of religion

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Every single human is brainwashed or groomed by their parents. Whether that be with LGBTQ or organized religion, it’s basically the same concept. Ram a bunch of BS down kids throats long enough so they believe it and then once they are adults they will pass it to the next generation. LGBTQ is just the lefts version of religion

good point

12 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Totally, the left indoctrinating their kids to be whoever you want to be and be proud in that and don't worry about if others say you're wrong or going to burn in an imaginary place for all of eternity. 

Such an awful thing to teach their kids...

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1