CA's 20 Dollar Minimum wage already killing jobs and shuttering companies.

Off the top of your head. What are the different things that need to be figured out before moving from one side of a state, say California, to the other? Lets say you had a child between 2 and 5 or between 5 and 17.

Lets try to list the areas of concern(this is by no means an exhaustive list):

Where to move, town/city which area is best most affordable best schools, job prospects

house or apartment

rent or buy

Rent: what do we need, what can we afford, need to fill out applications, put down deposits, pet or no pet, do we rent now, is there a penalty for leaving early, do we still need to pay out the rest of our lease

Buy: where, how much, set up financing, put down an offer, offer accepted(far from a lock today), set up closing, sign paperwork, wait for however long before the sellers move out, can take months, do I own my house now, need to sell it, put it on the market, how long can we afford to wait for it to sell, 

Do I/we have job prospects there?

Apply online, maybe interview online(if it’s a restaurant job, that might not be possible until you arrive in person, that might add some stress to the move)

Do we have family that can help cover costs or offer a place to stay while we settle?

School

Daycare; cost, location, availability,

Public school: enrollment, what paperwork needs to be filled out, can it be done online? Transfer records/grades/classes

Private school: if this is an option, reach out to start the process, pay the app fee, get accepted, pay the tuition

*I have a feeling your first instinct will be to poke holes into each area that a restaurant employee might(and that is going to carry a lot of weight I imagine) not typically fall within. But the point is its not as easy as you might want it to be to make your suggestion possible. *

The move:

Moving our stuff, by car or by truck. Can we afford a truck on a restaurant employee salary. Move furniture and appliances or sell them to raise money and save on moving cost. 

Will we be able to move right in to wherever we have found to live? Will we need to stay in a hotel/motel to transition to a new place?

Now lets imagine its to another state. What other things might we need to consider now that the move has gone from, say 100-200 miles, to 500+, how to arrange all these things while working a fast food job and trying desperately to feed your family and better your situation.

While these obstacles can be overcome. It does take quite a bit of time and energy to check all the boxes off the list before confidently making a decision so momentous for your family. This task is made that much more herculean with fewer resources to pull from. As might be the case of someone you suggested to ‘just move’ as an employee of a fast food restaurant making, up until recently, $15.50/hour.

Seems as if your comment, ‘just move’ is overlooking all the things that actually go into moving. Especially if you have a family, even a small one. You’ll probably come back with, what you think is a funny quip that renders my point moot, while also not addressing the gaping holes in your idea.

I know using the word ‘privilege’ sends you into a white-hot rage so I doubt you’re even reading anymore if you’ve made it this far in the first place. But that your first thought/suggestion is something so myopic and ignorant yet not at all surprising coming from you in your place of PRIVILEGE!

Other issue

Math:

59 stores at $15.50/hour with, let’s say 30 full time employees = $57,064,800 in yearly wages alone

68 stores at $20/hour = $99,008000, nearly double

From a corporate perspective, that would be a lot of the bottom that needs to be made up by just 8 or 9 stores. By making those cuts you save $40m+ in wages alone, not to mention maintenance of 8 or 9 buildings. Maybe you lose out on 4/17s of previous year’s profit but if its as much or less than $44m, you’ve just increased your profits from having to pay people more for the same job. Execs don’t need to take a pay cut and probably get bonuses. Investors get their checks. Its win/win for everyone except for the 240-270 people that now don’t have a job. Upside, they can just move.

• Bob 1

Its not a free market. We cannot be trusted to regulate ourselves. Hence why the laws had to be passed in the first place. 12hour days. Children laboring in mines and mills. Can you say with a straight face that companies wouldn’t(and in Arkansas they have relaxed child labor laws already) angle to get back to those days for the sake of profit?

We work to provide for our families and loved ones. We work to protect what we’ve built and to grow it to ensure our lineage. Power and influence begets power and influence. Its not easily relinquished once given/taken. Ask any dictator in history. Power is not peacefully transferred after violently acquired. Companies do this on a regular basis. Buying smaller competitors so as to limit competition, retain market share, or maintain profit margins.

https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/RL32844.html#:~:text=The%20Commerce%20Clause%20of%20the,persons%20outside%20of%20that%20state.

Congress can regulate commerce. If someone doesn’t like the law they can challenge it. But I imagine it was and survived.

https://www.enzuzo.com/blog/biggest-compliance-fines

A few of the many things that happen in a ‘quasi-free’ market despite laws to regulate these actions. If there were not laws to combat this behavior would it be better or worse?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/224577/hsbcs-profit/

HSBC fine $1.256B for aiding Iran, Cuba, Libya, Sudan, and Burma launder money. In 2012 alone they made $15.33B in profits. Was it a big enough fine in your opinion? Also, if there weren’t laws on the books and agencies to investigate and hold them to account, would any light be shone onto their misdeeds or is protecting $15B+ in profits a large motivator to keep things covered up?

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

It’s almost like you can hear it talking to itself. 

3PTD posts are informative and fact filled.

It's as if you don't have enough knowledge at your disposal to engage in a meaningful rebuttal.

• Clown 3

7 hours ago, RockLobster said:

3PTD posts are informative and fact filled.

It's as if you don't have enough knowledge at your disposal to engage in a meaningful rebuttal.

Ya that’s it. 🤦‍♂️  You’ve been here for 36 comment jr. You might want to sit this one out. 

Edited by JimmyBT

14 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Ya that’s it. 🤦‍♂️  You’ve been here for 36 comment jr. You might want to sit this one out. 

Because as we all know the number of times you've posted is directly proportional to your relevance and level of knowledge on a subject. You can't and dare I say shouldn't be taken seriously until you've hit 1k.  So there is no need for me to engage with the likes of you. (flllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllex emoji) 

Did I lay it on a bit too thick as an ignorant, eliteist, gatekeeping blowhard? 

14 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

https://dailybruin.com/2024/01/29/california-experiences-increasing-trend-of-people-leaving-state#

millions of people have figured out how to leave California. Even with everything there is to think about.   Must be those smart educated ones huh?  

Well, the one example that you know is true is a fantastically wealthy movie star. But as you said before, you will believe what you want, because its comforting, until it is proven otherwise. 

So tell me, since you've chosen to ignore and denigrate someone for not sharing your opinion or having contributed to the forum enough, why should anyone take you seriously considering you don't really care about things being true in the first place(see above)? 

12 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Because as we all know the number of times you've posted is directly proportional to your relevance and level of knowledge on a subject. You can't and dare I say shouldn't be taken seriously until you've hit 1k.  So there is no need for me to engage with the likes of you. (flllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllex emoji) 

Did I lay it on a bit too thick as an ignorant, eliteist, gatekeeping blowhard? 

Nah, 36 is still fewer than the amount of times I’ve proved you wrong 

• Brain 1

7 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Well, the one example that you know is true is a fantastically wealthy movie star. But as you said before, you will believe what you want, because its comforting, until it is proven otherwise. 

So tell me, since you've chosen to ignore and denigrate someone for not sharing your opinion or having contributed to the forum enough, why should anyone take you seriously considering you don't really care about things being true in the first place(see above)? 

What movie star did I talk about?  Make sure you’re talking to the right person as you’ve confused yourself……. Again

• Bob 2

Comment 1.  Theres no reason to continue to engage with the likes of you 

proceeds to make comment 2 with the likes of me. 

bhahahahahahahahahahahahhah

Edited by JimmyBT

https://dailybruin.com/2024/01/29/california-experiences-increasing-trend-of-people-leaving-state#

millions and millions of people have figured out how to leave California because it cost too much to live there.   And they’re taking their money with them which doesn’t bode well for those left behind that now will have to pay higher taxes to offset the decrease in revenue. California is a model for failure and a perfect examle of what dems are doing to the entire country. 

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

millions and millions of people have figured out how to leave California because it cost too much to live there.   And they’re taking their money with them which doesn’t bode well for those left behind that now will have to pay higher taxes to offset the decrease in revenue. California is a model for failure and a perfect examle of what dems are doing to the entire country. 

What is your opinion on the tax policy that was enacted in Kansas? 

Honest question. Granted Kansas is not the size of California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_experiment#:~:text=The Kansas experiment was a,by Brownback in May 2012.

I'm interested to see your thoughts.

1 hour ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_experiment#:~:text=The Kansas experiment was a,by Brownback in May 2012.

https://www.rentcafe.com/cost-of-living-calculator/us/ks/

what are your thoughts on the cost of living in Kansas since it’s 13% lower than the national average ?  

Edited by JimmyBT

2 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Imagine a life where you put so much weight on how many times someone has posted on an anonymous message board.  It’s an interesting world for sure.  

IKR?  It’s not quite as interesting as imagining having to post pictures of what you cooked for supper on Saturday is it??  

Edited by JimmyBT

23 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

https://www.rentcafe.com/cost-of-living-calculator/us/ks/

what are your thoughts on the cost of living in Kansas since it’s 13% lower than the national average ?  

That doesn't really answer the question.

No rush. Read up and see what you think?

Was it a good idea?

What could be done to fix it or do it different/better? 

Why do you think it had the results it had? 

My response: It is also, Kansas. I don't think being 13% cheaper than average is a good enough reason to move there. That's just my opinion. 

Edited by ThreePointTakedown

43 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Was it a good idea?

My response: It is also, Kansas. I don't think being 13% cheaper than average is a good enough reason to move there. That's just my opinion. 

You’re the one that originally brought up Kansas not me.  You ignored the article about all the people leaving California when you seem to think it’s so hard.  

Edited by JimmyBT

Was it a good idea?

This is a recurring problem that you incur.  There’s a whole lot more to the story than what wiki reveals, although it does note that the plan that was enacted was not the same as Brownback proposed.  I was listening to Kansas radio near daily during that time and there were lots of shenanigans involved, most egregiously by the teachers union.  Then there was the lament of many that by the time they changed it, the situation was starting to resemble what had been predicted.  

And Kansas is a wonderland for bird and deer hunters. 

Edited by Offthemat
  • Bob 1

3 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

IKR?  It’s not quite as interesting as imagining having to post pictures of what you cooked for supper on Saturday is it??  

Good cookin doesn’t have to be just for supper on Saturday.  Man, not that doesn’t sound like a whole lot of fun. 

3 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Good cookin doesn’t have to be just for supper on Saturday.  Man, not that doesn’t sound like a whole lot of fun. 

We know.  There are people here that post pictures regularly about what they cooked. 

On 4/10/2024 at 3:06 PM, braves121 said:

That is the hand of the free market. If someone can not afford to employ people at a competitive rate, maybe they don't make enough to sustain that business. 

lmfao.

what economics pamphlet did you read that lead you to believe a government mandate was part of the free market?

• Bob 1
  • Brain 2

TBD