Askren

3 hours ago, BobDole said:

Askren won't last long at the college level where they have to abide by rules with recruiting and contact of prospective athletes. He would be a thorn in the side of compliance.

Yeah idk why people say this. Askren is a goof but he seems like a good dude. Based on what I’ve seen on FRL and YouTube, at least. 

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Yeah idk why people say this. Askren is a goof but he seems like a good dude. Based on what I’ve seen on FRL and YouTube, at least. 

I think he's an ass, but to each his own. 

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Pat Mineo claims Ben met with the AD to badmouth Bono and try to convince them to hire Max...

image.thumb.png.12bdf23a68d9c3c730682c9d2c05c1ab.png

Max? Unlike Ben, I actually like Max Askren. Does Max has the recruiting chops to get top guys to come wrestle for him though? 

1 minute ago, NM1965 said:

Max? Unlike Ben, I actually like Max Askren. Does Max has the recruiting chops to get top guys to come wrestle for him though? 

That's a great question that I don't know the answer to. I wonder if they're looking to have one stick with AWA and one coach college and funnel all the AWA kids there. I'm not sure of the legalities of that, but I believe I read on here that if Ben Askren took the coaching role, he'd have to stop with the academy work due to conflicts of interest. 

As far as Ben scheduling a meeting with the AD to badmouth Bono and demand Max, that seems like hyperbole...

• Bob 2

3 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

That's a great question that I don't know the answer to. I wonder if they're looking to have one stick with AWA and one coach college and funnel all the AWA kids there. I'm not sure of the legalities of that, but I believe I read on here that if Ben Askren took the coaching role, he'd have to stop with the academy work due to conflicts of interest. 

As far as Ben scheduling a meeting with the AD to badmouth Bono and demand Max, that seems like hyperbole...

From what I've seen of Ben Askren's ego and loudmouth I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do just that (going up to badmouth Bono).  But I wouldn't be surprised it if didn't happen either, there are so many liars on the internet.

Although I can't stand Ben Askren, there's no doubt the kids like him. I think just because of that he'd be able to attract a lot of talent to Wisconsin. I think he damaged his reputation a lot over the years with his stupid antics from his MMA career, do you think he's actually hirable as a college coach? I mean, if he turned over his wrestling academy to some other person and there were no conflicts of interest? 

8 hours ago, HungusMungus said:

Minnow is a moron
I don’t believe a word that idiot spews! 

Dude has the most punchable face in the wrestling community.  Otherwise, he's not that much different from the other wrestling content mills to me.

9 hours ago, HungusMungus said:

Minnow is a moron
I don’t believe a word that idiot spews! 

Correct, but he has surprisingly increased the accuracy of his "news" lately. He used to just spew bullshit, now he seems to be closer to the truth. 

17 hours ago, BobDole said:

Askren won't last long at the college level where they have to abide by rules with recruiting and contact of prospective athletes. He would be a thorn in the side of compliance.

Why do you say that? I don't think compliance would be the issue. I think rubbing people the wrong way would be the issue. 

54 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

Why do you say that? I don't think compliance would be the issue. I think rubbing people the wrong way would be the issue. 

From his comments and actions he doesn't seem to be one that would like to have someone else as his boss. He's not one to do things by the book, which has lead to a lot of success, but he also is very vocal about rules/laws he thinks are "stupid." I don't see him as being one that will like living under constant scrutiny of following rules with recruiting, weight management, or the millions of other NCAA rules you have to follow. 

With him running his club he is in full control of everything, running a college program he will be regulated to NCAA and Wisconsin rules.

• Bob 4

How does anyone give what Minnow says any creditably?  

Let's think about.   He wants us to believe:

1) the AD at Wisconsin has an open door policy and will just take meetings with club coaches of non revenue sports whenever asked?   Ben isn't getting past the secretary who has no idea who he is and even if Ben has a direct line to the AD, that AD is managing 20 some sports and isn't taking the time out of his day for a bitch session.

2) That Ben scheduled this meeting to bad mouth Bono and then told it to enough people that Minnow got a hold of it? "Hey guys, I am going to Madison to trash Bono, go tell who ever you want"

Minnow is just throwing stuff against the wall.  Since Wisconsin hasn't fired Bono yet they probably don't plan to so why not make stuff up and hope people believe him.  Kind of pathetic.

• Bob 3
  • Brain 1
  • Jagger 1

Just now, Dogbone said:

How does anyone give what Minnow says any creditably?  

Let's think about.   He wants us to believe:

1) the AD at Wisconsin has an open door policy and will just take meetings with club coaches of non revenue sports whenever asked?   Ben isn't getting past the secretary who has no idea who he is and even if Ben has a direct line to the AD, that AD is managing 20 some sports and isn't taking the time out of his day for a bitch session.

2) That Ben scheduled this meeting to bad mouth Bono and then told it to enough people that Minnow got a hold of it? "Hey guys, I am going to Madison to trash Bono, go tell who ever you want"

Minnow is just throwing stuff against the wall.  Since Wisconsin hasn't fired Bono yet they probably don't plan to so why not make stuff up and hope people believe him.  Kind of pathetic.

I agree with what you are saying.  We don't know why Askren was on campus. And Bono is still the coach.  But the AD most certainly knows Askren. 

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 minute ago, jchapman said:

I agree with what you are saying.  We don't know why Askren was on campus. And Bono is still the coach.  But the AD most certainly knows Askren. 

I wasn't trying to imply the AD doesn't know Askren, but I don't think that alone gets you an in person meeting just because you asked for one with out an agenda or the agenda is just I want to complain about the head coach. 

• Bob 1

18 hours ago, BobDole said:

"where they have to abide by rules with recruiting and contact of prospective athletes." LOL