Cyclone State?

Every program Dresser touches improves immensely. 
He took a small high school in Grundy, VA (coal country) and turned it into a decade long state championship team. Then went to Christiansburg high school just outside of Blacksburg and turned into a nationally ranked program.

Then took VT from a near last place team finish at NCAA’s to a trophy team. Now he’s got the cyclones clicking on all cylinders 

• Bob 3
  • Brain 1

1 minute ago, creek chub said:

Every program Dresser touches improves immensely. 
He took a small high school in Grundy, VA (coal country) and turned it into a decade long state championship team. Then went to Christiansburg high school just outside of Blacksburg and turned into a nationally ranked program.

Then took VT from a near last place team finish at NCAA’s to a trophy team. Now he’s got the cyclones clicking on all cylinders 

So true. And he's a huge cash cow . Also, worth adding those Grundy teams were legit. I think a couple of those Grundy teams were as good and if not better than any of Cburgs best teams. From top to bottom..

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, red viking said:

Long ways from that right now. Maybe if they can consistently beat the PA Hawkeyes in dual meets. Until then, not really much of a discussion. 

I think you'd have a hard time convincing anyone not a Hawkeye fan that it's even a discussion.

• Bob 1

9 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I hear they are willing to throw round serious serious portal money right now...

Problem with that is, who in the portal is an upgrade over what they have? Hamiti is the best in the portal and he didn't AA, even though I'd say he is equal to Caliendo. McGonagle is an upgrade over either 133/141, but he's never AA'd. Not sure Alvarez is that much of an upgrade over Rathjen. Is Kraisser an upgrade over Cobe? I don't think so.

I'm sure there will be more guys hit the portal. But, I see it being hard for them to even take second with a roster based on this year's portal.

8 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Problem with that is, who in the portal is an upgrade over what they have? Hamiti is the best in the portal and he didn't AA, even though I'd say he is equal to Caliendo. McGonagle is an upgrade over either 133/141, but he's never AA'd. Not sure Alvarez is that much of an upgrade over Rathjen. Is Kraisser an upgrade over Cobe? I don't think so.

I'm sure there will be more guys hit the portal. But, I see it being hard for them to even take second with a roster based on this year's portal.

they people mentioned in this discussion aren't in the portal yet....hamiti was in the portal about 7 seconds before committing, almost as if he knew in advance.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, red viking said:

Long ways from that right now. Maybe if they can consistently beat the PA Hawkeyes in dual meets. Until then, not really much of a discussion. 

Do dual meet results hold that much weight? No. Its the end of the season that matters

10 minutes ago, Ragu said:

Do dual meet results hold that much weight? No. Its the end of the season that matters

One year of outplacing them by 1.5 points without even winning a trophy over a mich depleted team isn't changing anything.   In the context of where they were this season, the head to head dual is far more important. 

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

One year of outplacing them by 1.5 points without even winning a trophy over a mich depleted team isn't changing anything.   In the context of where they were this season, the head to head dual is far more important. 

sounds right - but credit to Iowa State as it is not easy to chase an in state rival like Iowa wrestling.  Both of these are strong national programs!

31 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

One year of outplacing them by 1.5 points without even winning a trophy over a mich depleted team isn't changing anything.   

I agree.  I'm not gonna look it up, but when was the last time ISU finished ahead of Iowa, 20, 25 years ago or more?  Not saying this can't be the start of something, but don't jump the gun sparky.

For the old timers out there, were there people asking this question when Iowa Sate, led by a young Jim Gibbons, defeated Iowa at nationals a few times in the late 80's. 

Just saying, with only 1.5 separating the teams at nationals.  It's a little early to ask the question.  However, I think Dresser is a great coach and I'm glad to see this former traditional power having some success.  Too bad they only gave out 3 trophies this year. 

Edited by Smsu150
  • Bob 1

I think it is... If I'm a blue chip kid and had a choice between Iowa and Iowa I would choose the better coaching staff.  It seems the Cyclones (like Michigan and Illinois) have young and/or dynamic people as assistants or present in the program.  I think Metcalf, St. John, Nate Carr and Schuyler (Grad Assistant), offer more than TNT and Morningstar.  Illinois has Poeta, O'Connor, Martinez, Delgado and even Ed Ruth helping in the room.  Michigan has Churella, Micic, Kevin Jackson helping Sean Bormet.  If you notice, Bormet is out recruiting Iowa in Illinois because he is from there and offers more.  Once the PA and Illinois pipelines to Iowa dry up the end is imminent.  

Edited by KLCarnegieTech_1969
  • Bob 1

6 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

I think it is... If I'm a blue chip kid and had a choice between Iowa and Iowa I would choose the better coaching staff.  It seems the Cyclones (like Michigan and Illinois) have young and/or dynamic people as assistants or present in the program.  I think Metcalf, St. John, Nate Carr and Schuyler (Grad Assistant), offer more than TNT and Morningstar.  Illinois has Poeta, O'Connor, Martinez, Delgado and even Ed Ruth helping in the room.  Michigan has Churella, Micic, Kevin Jackson helping Sean Bormet.  If you notice, Bormet is out recruiting Iowa in Illinois because he is from there and offers more.  Once the PA and Illinois pipelines to Iowa dry up the end is imminent.  

it's wonderful that you feel that way.  It hasn't happened in practice.

24 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

its probably another thread, but I think Iowa and ISUs coaching staffs do a comparable job. ISU is seems more flexible and dynamic, Iowa is probably the best place for establishing a lot of basic areas, but they don't seem like they can sharpen the tip of the spear very well. I don't think michigan does anything particularly well.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Brother you have some serious fact checking to do. Micic is not in Michigan and Ed Ruth is in the Balkans. Nate Carr is not in the room helping out. Illinois, apologies to our venerated blogger, has been hot trash for a while. They redshirted a ton this season but lets see how they are doing next year before we start speaking nicely about them.

• Brain 1