Session 6 - Championship Finals Saturday March 23 2024

Just now, JimmyCinnabon said:

Why are you analyzing something that never happened?

Thats a good question. I guess because it came up and it interested and educated in the subject. I was attempting to defend Brooks, even though I'm not a fan, for what it is worth.

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Even dumber is to sit around passively listening to morons and not mocking them for their dumb beliefs. They should offer their thanks to the sun, at least we can see the sun exists. 

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself for dumping on guys who just won a title and didn't use their 30 seconds well enough.  

DC got crushed for being unprofessional all weekend.  Now we have people defending JB and bashing Nickal for not liking an announcer saying he was going to go after a guy's injured leg.  

I get that he was joking and it doesn't bother me personally.  But it's by far the least professional thing said into a microphone all weekend.  Not just the part about going after his leg, but the part where Starocci won his 4th title and JB immediately made it about himself.  

If you hate DC being unprofessional, then you have to hate that moment.  It's super unprofessional for a neutral commentator to say.  

I honestly like them being humans and having fun.  JB is far more fun when he loosens up, and DC loosened him up.  The worst part about DC was he talked so much he shut down Rock.

• Fire 2

5 minutes ago, boconnell said:

DC got crushed for being unprofessional all weekend.  Now we have people defending JB and bashing Nickal for not liking an announcer saying he was going to go after a guy's injured leg.  

I get that he was joking and it doesn't bother me personally.  But it's by far the least professional thing said into a microphone all weekend.  Not just the part about going after his leg, but the part where Starocci won his 4th title and JB immediately made it about himself.  

If you hate DC being unprofessional, then you have to hate that moment.  It's super unprofessional for a neutral commentator to say.  

I honestly like them being humans and having fun.  JB is far more fun when he loosens up, and DC loosened him up.  The worst part about DC was he talked so much he shut down Rock.

I wish I could fire emoji this a thousand times. Facts.

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I didn't realize I was addressed here, since I wasn't tagged, but the answer to your questions are:

1.  I wasn't rooting more for Penn State to fail then my team to do better.  The two are not mutuall ly exclusive.

2. I think it's fairly obvious that most of my posts were in good fun (with a bit.of truth buried in there.)

3. But also, I wanted to avoid things like this:  https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/im-sorry-we-stole-your-binky.440225/

Just as that idiotic PSU fan is letting Iowa live in his head even as PSU wins the team title by 100 points, breaking Iowa's record for the most points, you too, by using this excuse for a comment that preceded that clowns post:  "I wanted to avoid thing like this", are letting ghouls live in your head. If I recall your comment correctly, you prioritized the things you wanted and didn't want to happen. 

Maybe that fool on the Iowa forums will also say that his post was in good fun with a bit of truth buried in there. I still call him out as a troll. There's no need for that kind of behavior.

Some random thoughts after watching on a delay and therefore not following the posts here live.

1.  Penn State won by A HUNDRED POINTS?!?!

2. Great appreciation to Caleb Henson for saving the night if not the sport after that absolute brutality from 125-141.  I checked and from the beginning of 125 to the end of 133 it was 46 minutes.  For the umpteenth time on here, I renew my statement that replay should be eliminated.  It does far more harm than good.

3.  Speaking of saving the sport, if they could make a bunch more Messenbrinks, this would be the most popular sport around.  He is so fun to watch.  But oh no did the PSU evening get blemished by him not knowing the score?  If so, truly a bummer after he had come almost all the way back.

4.  Cormier, Q, terrible directing - ESPN sucked, as I went off at length about in the other thread.

5.  Not sure what is more impressive -- Brooks's stupendous wrestling or is ability to answer literally any and every question by directing it back to his faith.  Now THAT'S wrestling discipline.

6.  Props to the coaches from Cornell, Michigan, Virginia Tech, and I think one or two others for wearing a coat and tie to coach a national championship match.  

7.  Impressive work by Mike Grey.  Legendary coach leaves and you hold the program together, keep the recruits coming in, and take second.

8.  Uh-oh.  No team trophy is one thing.  Losing to Iowa State is another.  

9.  Quite the two weeks for Carter Starocci.  Goes from looking like he was topping off a career of being kind of a bully with a historic shameless snit to throwing three shutouts, including two over national champs, topped off by the classiest post-match work of the night. 

10.  The Panther Train deserves a Hodge, right? 

• Fire 4

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

I'm going to step back from the Burroughs-Nickal discussion.  I didn't hear it, obviously, so maybe it's more onerous than I'm interpreting it second and third hand.

Nothing to be heard.  It's taking place on "X - formerly known as Twitter"

3 minutes ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

Just as that idiotic PSU fan is letting Iowa live in his head even as PSU wins the team title by 100 points, breaking Iowa's record for the most points, you too, by using this excuse for a comment that preceded that clowns post:  "I wanted to avoid thing like this", are letting ghouls live in your head. If I recall your comment correctly, you prioritized the things you wanted and didn't want to happen. 

Maybe that fool on the Iowa forums will also say that his post was in good fun with a bit of truth buried in there. I still call him out as a troll. There's no need for that kind of behavior.

I'm sorry my jokes didn't amuse you. We can move on now. 

• Brain 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I meant whatever Burroughs said on the broadcast that started it.

From what I remember it was DC asking JB if he was Rocco Welsh would he be attacking that knee constantly.  JB responded he would attack it like crazy.  Conversation transitions to talking about hand fighting.

What I found most fascinating during the broadcast was DC talking about having the brackets early and Star initially was the #7 seed and they reseeded and put him at the 9 seed

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

From what I remember it was DC asking JB if he was Rocco Welsh would he be attacking that knee constantly.  JB responded he would attack it like crazy.  Conversation transitions to talking about hand fighting.

What I found most fascinating during the broadcast was DC talking about having the brackets early and Star initially was the #7 seed and they reseeded and put him at the 9 seed

If that's essentially what happened (and I know this isn't a transcript, but a description) I'm back on the "WTF is Nickal doing right now?"  This is entirely proper discussion and analysis from Burroughs.

For what it's worth, Burroughs made the EXACT same comments last year when Munoz lost to Keckeisen in the semis.  If you remember, Munoz tore his knee up and couldn't really move, so Keckeisen just circled and posted on his head and let the time wind down.  In the post-match interview, Parker said (I'm paraphrasing) that he knew that Munoz was hurt bad and would be forfeiting to 6th, so why would he kick him while he was down?  Well, during the match, Burroughs said that he would attack the injury and "finish him" like in "Mortal Kombat".  

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

If that's essentially what happened (and I know this isn't a transcript, but a description) I'm back on the "WTF is Nickal doing right now?"  This is entirely proper discussion and analysis from Burroughs.

Yes, DC asked the question & all Burroughs said was "I'd attack it like crazy".  He might've said "I'd be attacking..."  That was it.  And then within 2 tweets Bo challenged him to a fight.  

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Brain 1

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I do recall JB adding in that he’d have no problem going after the leg at the trials in a few weeks. I’m guessing that added comment may have been what led to Nickal’s post.  Sure it’s what anyone would be thinking if you want to make the Olympic Team. However when you are hired to be an unbiased commentator for a college event I’m not sure you need to make that type of statement on the air as a guys winnings 4th title.  Time and place. 

Edited by MadMardigain

52 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Few things more pathetic than attacking someone for their religious beliefs anonymously on the internet 

Anonymously is the only way to do it, the fanatics murder other people for the dumbest shit imaginable, all in the name of their almighty invisible sky gods, lol. 

2 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

I do recall JB adding in that he’d have no problem going after the leg at the trials in a few weeks. I’m guessing that added comment may have been what led to Nickal’s post.  Sure it’s what anyone would be thinking if you want to make the Olympic Team, but when you are hired to be ann unbiased commentator for a college event I’m not sure you need to make that type of statement on the air. 

That's an additional data point, but still wouldn't change my opinion.  I think it's a relevant thing to discuss.

6 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

I do recall JB adding in that he’d have no problem going after the leg at the trials in a few weeks. I’m guessing that added comment may have been what led to Nickal’s post.  Sure it’s what anyone would be thinking if you want to make the Olympic Team, but when you are hired to be ann unbiased commentator for a college event I’m not sure you need to make that type of statement on the air. 

Was that in the post match?  That adds an extra layer to this spat between the two