Coach Manning calling a spade a spade!

Just now, jajensen09 said:

For one,  they need put some kind of guidelines for a schedule.  Bump up # of matches needed to wrestle to 20. 15 matches in 4 months is Ridiculous. We are trying to grow the sport, but the "best" team never wrestles.   Also if they know a guy isn't going to wrestle, reseed him, don't wreck post seasons for everyone else. 

How is that holding Penn State accountable?  They already have guidelines.  Are you saying that people who don't wrestle x number of matches shouldn't even be considered for the tournament?  I definitely don't agree with that.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

How is that holding Penn State accountable?  They already have guidelines.  Are you saying that people who don't wrestle x number of matches shouldn't even be considered for the tournament?  I definitely don't agree with that.

You are fine with 15 matches to qualify? Then shorten the season, that's not even a match a week. 

6 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Manning legitimately seems to believe that Wilson deserved the bid over Starocci 

It's pretty hard to get upset about a guy with a 16-12 record that finished 9th at his conference tournament not getting selected for NCAAs, at least for me. Maybe Manning should visit a shrink. The dumbest part is he didn't even wait to see if Starocci, who techfalled Bubba this year by the way, wrestled. The only way Manning's argument, if you can even call it that, makes sense is if Starocci doesn't wrestle at NCAAs. 

Just now, NM1965 said:

It's pretty hard to get upset about a guy with a 16-12 record that finished 9th at his conference tournament not getting selected for NCAAs, at least for me. Maybe Manning should visit a shrink. The dumbest part is he didn't even wait to see if Starocci, who techfalled Bubba this year by the way, wrestled. The only way Manning's argument, if you can even call it that, makes sense is if Starocci doesn't wrestle at NCAAs. 

He isn't arguing Bubba over Starocci, smh!

Just now, NM1965 said:

Schultz has 10. I'm pretty sure I saw another qualifier with only 9 matches. 

Right. Look at lineups as a hole. Penn state doesn't have much for matches at all, not good for the sport 

6 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

You are fine with 15 matches to qualify? Then shorten the season, that's not even a match a week. 

I'm fine as long as those guys are penalized in the seeding for a short season, specifically when they don't dominate during their shortened season.  And Carter got the 9 seed, so he was penalized.

• Brain 1

Just now, jajensen09 said:

He isn't arguing Bubba over Starocci, smh!

No, but he's acting like guys defaulting out on other teams is hurting his team. Frankly, it's none of his damn business how coaches of other teams handle personnel issues. Plus, belly aching over a guy who got 9th at conference not qualifying for nationals is straight up pathetic. Does he believe in participation trophies for everyone? 

2 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

That's 1 guy on the team. Penn state wrestles very little on purpose ! 

I believe that's true. Cael knows wear and tear can affect a team so he keeps his starters matches to 15 or less, usually, before Big 10s. I think that's also a reason why PSU's bench is so deep and good, the backups actually get a fair amount of wrestling against good Big 10 opposition (although the best Big 10 competition is, apparently, in the PSU room). 

The easy answer is to get rid of at-large bids.  If you want to qualify, you have to place at your conference tournament.  If you are unable to compete, then I am sorry but injuries happen.  If Starrocci knew he had to place in the top 8 at his conference tournament then he would have had to decide if he was good enough to wrestle or not.

• Bob 2

2 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I believe that's true. Cael knows wear and tear can affect a team so he keeps his starters matches to 15 or less, usually, before Big 10s. I think that's also a reason why PSU's bench is so deep and good, the backups actually get a fair amount of wrestling against good Big 10 opposition (although the best Big 10 competition is, apparently, in the PSU room). 

This "deep and good" bench is a relatively new thing for PSU. Outside of the occasional Cassar/Rasheed thing)

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

It is curious that he used Schlatter as an example. Schlatter also entered both tournaments and double defaulted both tournaments. Schlatter also kept someone out of the NCAA tournament. He is only different from Starocci because of his seed at the B1G tournament.

I also find it humorous because Starocci did not keep Wilson out of the tournament. If Starocci is seeded 14 and double injury defaults, he is still in and Wilson is still 35th in a 33 man bracket.

And you can play the, yeah but what if the bracket was different game. If Starocci was the #14 and everyone bumped up then Wilson gets Maylor in round 1, who he had lost to in the dual (4-2) to start his 2-6 slide to end the season, and end his season.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, Preceptor said:

The easy answer is to get rid of at-large bids.  If you want to qualify, you have to place at your conference tournament

No way!  That would make the season even more irrelevant and  everyone is susceptible to a bad weekend, slight injury, sickness, girlfriend dumped you, etc.  One weekend shouldn't define your season as to whether or not you can wrestle at Nationals.  

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It is curious that he used Schlatter as an example. Schlatter also entered both tournaments and double defaulted both tournaments. Schlatter also kept someone out of the NCAA tournament. He is only different from Starocci because of his seed at the B1G tournament.

I also find it humorous because Starocci did not keep Wilson out of the tournament. If Starocci is seeded 14 and double injury defaults, he is still in and Wilson is still 35th in a 33 man bracket.

And you can play the, yeah but what if the bracket was different game. If Starocci was the #14 and everyone bumped up then Wilson gets Maylor in round 1, who he had lost to in the dual (4-2) to start his 2-6 slide to end the season, and end his season.

The bracket changes a ton. Irrelevant 

18 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

No, it wrecked the bracket at 174 during big 10s.

Wilson failed to make NCAAs because there are 33 better wrestlers than  him. No other reason. Had Starocci wrestled Wilson still would not have made NCAAs. 

4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

This "deep and good" bench is a relatively new thing for PSU. Outside of the occasional Cassar/Rasheed thing)

But needing to go to the bench is always occasional. You can add Nick Lee's freshman year to that when they pulled his redshirt after Jered Cortez got hurt.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

So should the NFL only play starters half the year? 

Edited by jajensen09