Gfeller

Ban Basketball

I could be wrong,  but the announcers' pronunciation of Gfeller's name is kind of driving me nuts. 

They're using the "g" but I'm guessing it's silent.  

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

12 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

I could be wrong,  but the announcers' pronunciation of Gfeller's name is kind of driving me nuts. 

They're using the "g" but I'm guessing it's silent.  

No, you're not wrong. It IS driving you nuts!

In german it would be mostly silent.

26 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

No, you're not wrong. It IS driving you nuts!

In german it would be mostly silent.

Thanks.  Having grown up in Minnesota I've seen far too many Norwegian and German names to not automatically see a silent letter in a name.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

54 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

No.  Is this supposed to be a joke?  You think his couch is supernatural?

Of course also does G know how to pronounce it cause if he isn't giving the coaches, announcers etc accurate info then that could explain ...

1 hour ago, Ban Basketball said:

Thanks.  Having grown up in Minnesota I've seen far too many Norwegian and German names to not automatically see a silent letter in a name.

This all having been said- that doesn't mean this is how the family pronounces it any more.

For example, in German typically names with consecutive e-i (in either order) are pronounced skipping the first one and using the second (probably long). But Lehigh had Paul Diekel in the 80s and Owen Reinsel now. The families said Die-kel and Ren-sel. Reinsel told me they changed it generations ago (possibly well before the world wars as they were here that long).

Again,  I could be wrong,  but there's nothing logical,  based on my background with seeing too many silent letters,  about it being pronounced with the G.

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

This all having been said- that doesn't mean this is how the family pronounces it any more.

For example, in German typically names with consecutive e-i (in either order) are pronounced skipping the first one and using the second (probably long). But Lehigh had Paul Diekel in the 80s and Owen Reinsel now. The families said Die-kel and Ren-sel. Reinsel told me they changed it generations ago (possibly well before the world wars as they were here that long).

Weird you say that! I have exactly one of those German names,  and I'm not sure I've ever heard them pronounced emphasizing the first vowel. It's always the second in my experience. 

20 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Weird you say that! I have exactly one of those German names,  and I'm not sure I've ever heard them pronounced emphasizing the first vowel. It's always the second in my experience. 

That's what I'm saying. Who knows what the family says as opposed to standard Germanic pronunciations?

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Most importantly, if your in college pronouncing the G leads to cool possibilities. You can be G, or an OG, even G Money. Way cooler than being just another feller.

sure it not just - eller     🤔