• Sloan
    • Beard
    • Cardenas
    • Deprez
    • Glazier
    • Buchanan
    • Someone Else

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/21/2024 at 03:50 PM

I just posted this in the main brackets thread but it will probably get lost there:

197 has both Stout brothers in the top half.  Both have already lost to Beard (and Luke has Brooks in his second match if he wins), so neither will be in the championship bracket for long, but what has to happen for the two of them to wrestle each other in the consolations?  

I'm sure some wrestling historian like WKN knows when brothers have wrestled each other at Nationals...

Heavenly Father,

As I, Aaron Brooks, lace up my shoes and prepare to step onto the mat, I pause to acknowledge Your presence in this journey. You have blessed me with strength, determination, and the spirit of a warrior, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

Lord, I ask that You guide my movements and sharpen my instincts. Let my training manifest in every takedown, every escape, and every point I score. May my actions reflect the discipline and respect I have for this sport and my opponents.

Grant me the courage to face each challenge with a steadfast heart, and the humility to accept victory or defeat with grace. Help me to remember that through You, all things are possible, and that every battle I face is an opportunity to glorify Your name.

Protect me from injury, and let my performance today be a testament to the hard work and dedication that has brought me to this moment. May I compete with honor, and should I emerge victorious, let it be a victory for You.

In Your holy name, I pray,

Amen.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, lightweight said:

I just posted this in the main brackets thread but it will probably get lost there:

197 has both Stout brothers in the top half.  Both have already lost to Beard (and Luke has Brooks in his second match if he wins), so neither will be in the championship bracket for long, but what has to happen for the two of them to wrestle each other in the consolations?  

I'm sure some wrestling historian like WKN knows when brothers have wrestled each other at Nationals...

This has @cowcards written all over it.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

58 minutes ago, lightweight said:

I don't know of it happening at D1 nationals, but I would have to dig a little to find out. I can come back this week with an answer for sure. 

However, the Lackman brothers wrestled for a national title in D3 last year. That was the first time any had met in a final. The NAIA has had their fair share of instances because they allow 2 entries at a weight. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 2

35 minutes ago, cowcards said:

I don't know of it happening at D1 nationals, but I would have to dig a little to find out. I can come back this week with an answer for sure. 

However, the Lackman brothers wrestled for a national title in D3 last year. That was the first time any had met in a final. The NAIA has had their fair share of instances because they allow 2 entries at a weight. 

I can't think of one either. The Roy brothers were at the same weight but didn't wrestle.

Crazy bracket! Projected loser of DePrez v Joles or Jax Smith must wrestle loser of Mac Stout-Rocky Elam in consolations. Those 5 names are endangered species

Also looks like Geog or Allred will wrestleLittle in wrestlebacks early.

Luke Stout or Novak could meet glazier in late wrestlebacks...they have a nice wrestleback bracket

1 hour ago, lightweight said:

It looks like they can only meet if they make the Semis or Blood Round/Place. So probably not happening. 

I mentioned on another thread, Hidlay's been wrestling in another gear this season and can beat Aaron Brooks if he doesn't over-respect him and regress to his old style. Glaze/Allred will be a good early test. 

Also: BrooksBeard should be FUN

Edited by CHROMEBIRD

11 hours ago, JuanMogen said:

Help me to remember that through You, all things are possible, .

We often forget the context for this passage. Jesus is answering his disciples' question about how it could be possible to carry on with your life if you do what Jesus has just said and sell all your possessions and give the proceeds to the poor.  It's a legit question. Jesus, as is his won't, responds with the esoteric aphorism quoted above "For mortals it is impossible; but for God all things are possible."

Understably, Peter is not satisfied with this non-answer; so, he says,  "Look, we have left everything and followed you. What then will we have?" Jesus responds that they will receive abundant recompense, I.e the "manifold" and "eternal life." However, it is not clear what this "manifold" is or if it is to be received in the here and now or when. It doesnt help that Jesus closes the chapter with "But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."  (Thanks for the clarification!)

The issue with reading this passage as an assurance that God will repay the sacrifice with worldly glory and riches is that Jesus's whole point is that these things should be abandoned. Why would Jesus reward a rejection of worldly achievement with worldly achievement? 

I think a better reading of "through God, all things are possible" is faith and keeping the law will show you the righteousness of giving everything away . . . even though you can't actually do it.

Edited by jackwebster
  • Bob 1

23 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Didn't Cardenas beat Elam their one meeting?

Yep. But one thing I have learned about Rocky is he is a tournament guy. Duals not so much. Kinda the opposite of Surtin. 

• Bob 1

28 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

Yep. But one thing I have learned about Rocky is he is a tournament guy. Duals not so much. Kinda the opposite of Surtin. 

He lost in the quarters the last 2 years and the 1st round his other trip?  He does most of his work on the backside.

Brooks over Hidlay in the finals. Everyone is fighting for 3rd.

14 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

He lost in the quarters the last 2 years and the 1st round his other trip?  He does most of his work on the backside.

Brooks over Hidlay in the finals. Everyone is fighting for 3rd.

No, he made it to the semis last year (lost to sloan)

Edited by gromit

1 hour ago, Tigerfan said:

In 2023, Cardenas lost to Beard in the dual, and beat him in the EIWA finals.  He then took 8th at NCAA from the 10th seed.

This year, he lost to Beard and Deprez in their duals, and beat Deprez and took Beard to OT at the EIWA finals.

That, too, is being a "tournament guy."

• Bob 2

3 hours ago, jackwebster said:

We often forget the context for this passage. Jesus is answering his disciples' question about how it could be possible to carry on with your life if you do what Jesus has just said and sell all your possessions and give the proceeds to the poor.  It's a legit question. Jesus, as is his won't, responds with the esoteric aphorism quoted above "For mortals it is impossible; but for God all things are possible."

Understably, Peter is not satisfied with this non-answer; so, he says,  "Look, we have left everything and followed you. What then will we have?" Jesus responds that they will receive abundant recompense, I.e the "manifold" and "eternal life." However, it is not clear what this "manifold" is or if it is to be received in the here and now or when. It doesnt help that Jesus closes the chapter with "But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."  (Thanks for the clarification!)

The issue with reading this passage as an assurance that God will repay the sacrifice with worldly glory and riches is that Jesus's whole point is that these things should be abandoned. Why would Jesus reward a rejection of worldly achievement with worldly achievement? 

I think a better reading of "through God, all things are possible" is faith and keeping the law will show you the righteousness of giving everything away . . . even though you can't actually do it.

Thank you, Jack. Very insightful. Have a blessed day. 

1 hour ago, gromit said:

No, he made it to the semis last year (lost to sloan)

My bad. Thanks.  I thought it was a the 7/2 quarter for some reason but you are correct.  Sloan was the 7 but Elam was the 3 and they met in the semis. 

Beard's only loss was to the 2nd seed. Sloan only was to the 11th . Beard had 4 more wins and a much higher bonus points percentage. Sloan was seeded 3rd, Beard 4th. Hahn is on the committee.

On 3/14/2024 at 9:43 AM, JuanMogen said:

Heavenly Father,

As I, Aaron Brooks, lace up my shoes and prepare to step onto the mat, I pause to acknowledge Your presence in this journey. You have blessed me with strength, determination, and the spirit of a warrior, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

Lord, I ask that You guide my movements and sharpen my instincts. Let my training manifest in every takedown, every escape, and every point I score. May my actions reflect the discipline and respect I have for this sport and my opponents.

Grant me the courage to face each challenge with a steadfast heart, and the humility to accept victory or defeat with grace. Help me to remember that through You, all things are possible, and that every battle I face is an opportunity to glorify Your name.

Protect me from injury, and let my performance today be a testament to the hard work and dedication that has brought me to this moment. May I compete with honor, and should I emerge victorious, let it be a victory for You.

In Your holy name, I pray,

Amen.

"And thanks for giving be a better underhook than Allah gave Hasan Yazdani."

God: "Fool! God and Allah are names that humans of different faiths use to address me, the Creator. I gave both you and Yazdani your underhooks, so I know them well. Keep working there, grasshopper. Yazdani's underhook is still superior to yours."