• Sloan
    • Beard
    • Cardenas
    • Deprez
    • Glazier
    • Buchanan
    • Someone Else

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/21/2024 at 03:50 PM

On 3/14/2024 at 7:46 AM, jackwebster said:

We often forget the context for this passage. Jesus is answering his disciples' question about how it could be possible to carry on with your life if you do what Jesus has just said and sell all your possessions and give the proceeds to the poor.  It's a legit question. Jesus, as is his won't, responds with the esoteric aphorism quoted above "For mortals it is impossible; but for God all things are possible."

Understably, Peter is not satisfied with this non-answer; so, he says,  "Look, we have left everything and followed you. What then will we have?" Jesus responds that they will receive abundant recompense, I.e the "manifold" and "eternal life." However, it is not clear what this "manifold" is or if it is to be received in the here and now or when. It doesnt help that Jesus closes the chapter with "But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."  (Thanks for the clarification!)

The issue with reading this passage as an assurance that God will repay the sacrifice with worldly glory and riches is that Jesus's whole point is that these things should be abandoned. Why would Jesus reward a rejection of worldly achievement with worldly achievement? 

I think a better reading of "through God, all things are possible" is faith and keeping the law will show you the righteousness of giving everything away . . . even though you can't actually do it.

The Easter bunny's roots can be traced back to ancient paganism, and the deity Eostra. The goddess of spring, rebirth, and fertility, her icon was the rabbit, thanks to its ability to quickly procreate.  Some historians believe Christians named Easter after Eostra.

6 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

The Easter bunny's roots can be traced back to ancient paganism, and the deity Eostra. The goddess of spring, rebirth, and fertility, her icon was the rabbit, thanks to its ability to quickly procreate.  Some historians believe Christians named Easter after Eostra.

Word. And Jesus is just a rebranded Dionysian love/wine god. And Xmas is Saturnalia. And don't even get me started about the Eleusius Mystery cult. Conclusion: there are still a lot of Christians.

On 3/14/2024 at 5:05 AM, CHROMEBIRD said:

I mentioned on another thread, Hidlay's been wrestling in another gear this season and can beat Aaron Brooks if he doesn't over-respect him and regress to his old style. Glaze/Allred will be a good early test. 

Also: BrooksBeard should be FUN

Hidlay has wrestled Brooks very tough before. If anybody has a chance against Brooks, it's Hidlay. Plus the Hidlay boys always wrestle tough at NCAAs. 

Brooks/Beard gives off a weird David Taylor/Bubba Jenkins type vibe, huh? 

33 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Hidlay has wrestled Brooks very tough before. If anybody has a chance against Brooks, it's Hidlay. Plus the Hidlay boys always wrestle tough at NCAAs. 

Brooks is world-medalist level right now. Not many NCAA champs ever even get close to that level. 

54 minutes ago, peanut said:

Brooks is world-medalist level right now. Not many NCAA champs ever even get close to that level. 

Brooks is very dominant, but you know how that goes at NCAAs, sometimes weird shit happens. 

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

The Hidlay boys are 0 for 6 against Penn State in Nationals. They may wrestle tough, but it seems somebody wrestles just a little bit tougher. 

3 minutes ago, Richferg said:

The Hidlay boys are 0 for 6 against Penn State in Nationals. They may wrestle tough, but it seems somebody wrestles just a little bit tougher. 

I still think that one Hidlay got jobbed against Nolf. Remember that match? Maybe it's time for the Hidlays to finally get a win vs PSU. 

Edited by NM1965

4 hours ago, NM1965 said:

The Holy Spirit would like a word..

Strange how some break balls because a guy expresses his faith, while they praise cheats. Changes in facial structures with the Tom Platz jawline is a dead giveaway, just look at the women in Crossfit. Todays messed up world.

Interesting to see these posts about "tournament guys".

In case anyone has missed it and are unaware, Aaron Brooks is also a "tournament guy".

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

Karl

I'm pretty anti-violence. I don't want to do more movies about violence” –  Billy Bob Thornton.

"Those boys wrestle from their heart, and that's a mighty big place for a little ole wrestler to live. I like biscuits with mustard. Mmmm hmmmmm. " - Karl Sanderson

Edited by NM1965