Most anticipated potential matches at NCAA’s?

23 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

That was not wrestling.  It was legal, but he did not wrestle anyone. 

I'm not saying he did anything wrong, just pointing out it had (unintended) consequences.  You may be okay with the consequences or not care but that doesn't mean they were none. 

Some great points made.  We can't ignore the implications of Carter MFF'ing out but at the same time we can't blame him nor Cael.  It's a gray area.  With Suriano leaving we've all heard most of the rumors.  What is the actual truth no one will ever know except for the few participants involved.  We do know Suriano has been gracious towards his former coaches and teammates and I get the sense he would've eventually left PSU regardless of the injury.  It just wasn't his cup of tea.  He's also left Rutgers & Michigan (Cliff Keen). 

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

39 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

That was not wrestling.  It was legal, but he did not wrestle anyone. 

I'm not saying he did anything wrong, just pointing out it had (unintended) consequences.  You may be okay with the consequences or not care but that doesn't mean they were none. 

Consequences? Nic Bouzakis went 0-2 at Big Tens and likely altered the at large selections at 133. Are non qualifiers at 133 supposed to blame Nic Bouzakis? 

You get what you earn. 

Edited by Pinnacle

43 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I want a semifinal of Plott vs Salazar real bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salazar probably gets the 2 seed, right?

3 hours ago, Dogbone said:

He was wrong about what was said in the B1G coaches meeting (none of those 3 where there either)?  

Why did Nick transfer again?

IIRC, he transferred mostly because PSU wanted him to get surgery and he did not.  I don’t believe it was about whether or not he wrestled at NCAA’s.

Based on the accounts of multiple wrestlers with firsthand knowledge of the situation, he was wrong when he said “Nick had broken his ankle and had no intention in competing in either tourney”

32 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I have been racking my brain to think of who would get it ahead of him, and can’t think of anyone that makes sense.

Plott and Munoz are the likely 3/4 seeds. With Salazar's two wins over Pinto, I cannot come up with a scenario where either jump over Salazar. He seems like the clear 2 seed. 

• Brain 1

Plott and Munoz are the likely 3/4 seeds. With Salazar's two wins over Pinto, I cannot come up with a scenario where either jump over Salazar. He seems like the clear 2 seed. 

The way I see it…

1 Keck
2 Salazar
3 Plott
4 Munoz
5 Truax
6 Pinto
7 Stewart
8 Wolf
9 Berge

That also might just be my bias showing on how I’d like it to play out, I think Salazars best chances of making the semifinals are avoiding a rematch with Pinto or Truax. And I don’t think Pinto beats Plott.

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, jajensen09 said:

Changes the entire bracket. Bubba lost to the 3rd and 4th place finishers 

Hang on there, it didn't change any part of the bracket Wilson was in.

He is not in the tournament because he lost 12 times total with 2 in the B1G that were in no way impacted by the Starocci situation. If he lost less, he would be in. 

Now let's play it forward and say Starocci does wrestle. That just means Wilson likely moves up to first alternate.

Only one of Wilson's losses was Starocci's fault. The other 11 are on Wilson.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

34 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

IIRC, he transferred mostly because PSU wanted him to get surgery and he did not.  I don’t believe it was about whether or not he wrestled at NCAA’s.

Based on the accounts of multiple wrestlers with firsthand knowledge of the situation, he was wrong when he said “Nick had broken his ankle and had no intention in competing in either tourney”

So Manning was right about the B1G tourney and wrong about the NCAA tourney.  Right about what happened in the coaches meeting at B1Gs. 

The "he is drilling downstairs right now" is common joke that no one from PSU has disputed until now.   At the time, people were also critical he didn't pull out until the bracket were set as it was believed it was done to intentionally impact the team race.  No one from PSU spoke up like they are now.

So basically Manning was right on all accounts except the one widely believed statement regarding Suriano's ability to compete at NCAAs that,has now for the first time ever, got people from PSU to speak up. 

Manning should tweet more, maybe getting information out of PSU won't be like Fort Knox. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Hang on there, it didn't change any part of the bracket Wilson was in.

He is not in the tournament because he lost 12 times total with 2 in the B1G that were in no way impacted by the Starocci situation. If he lost less, he would be in. 

Now let's play it forward and say Starocci does wrestle. That just means Wilson likely moves up to first alternate.

Only one of Wilson's losses was Starocci's fault. The other 11 are on Wilson.

He absolutely changed the entire bracket. Someone benefited to byeing their way into a qualifying spot 

12 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

So Manning was right about the B1G tourney and wrong about the NCAA tourney.  Right about what happened in the coaches meeting at B1Gs. 

The "he is drilling downstairs right now" is common joke that no one from PSU has disputed until now.   At the time, people were also critical he didn't pull out until the bracket were set as it was believed it was done to intentionally impact the team race.  No one from PSU spoke up like they are now.

So basically Manning was right on all accounts except the one widely believed statement regarding Suriano's ability to compete at NCAAs that,has now for the first time ever, got people from PSU to speak up. 

Manning should tweet more, maybe getting information out of PSU won't be like Fort Knox. 

Penn state fans will throw a fit about that

21 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Nick Suriano did compete at B10’s that year.  Lost his first match by injury default. 

6 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Final coaches ranking (poll) and final RPI were released today.  They will obviously affect seedings.  And, if you are not aware the NCAA selection show is tonight at 8 PM.  

https://www.themat.com/news/2024/march/13/ncaa-div-i-awards-standings-updated-plus-the-final-coaches-ranking-and-final-rpi-in-div-i

I love that three guys from Campbell (Taye Ghadiali, Domenic Zaccone, Anthony Molton) and two guys from Little Rock (Stephen Little, Nasir Bailey) are among the top 10 tech fallers.

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Nick Suriano did compete at B10’s that year.  Lost his first match by injury default. 

No, he did not "compete"  

He may have participated, but he did not compete. 

5 hours ago, Dogbone said:

True.  But Starocci not wrestling did have multi impacts on the NCAA Qualifiers. 

Bauwmann from Purdue got majored by Maylor then received the MFF.  Didn't win a match and is an NCAA qualifier not because of his wins but because of where he was placed in the bracket.

Sparks only beat DJ Washington (DJ didn't win a match all weekend), received the free pass to the semis, slid to 6th = qualifier.

And no question Brennan from Little Rock is an NCAA qualifier if Starocci competes as he says he was capable of.

I guess Manning’s point is that he thinks Starocci should have just been seeded last at B10’s if they knew he wasn’t going to wrestle?   It’s still probably a bit of a stretch to get Wilson to an automatic qualifying spot though.

If you reconstruct the bracket with everyone moving up 1 spot, he wrestles Maylor as an 11/6 matchup.  If I’m reading this right, if he loses, with no Starocci he would’ve had a bye in his first consi match before wrestling the 4/5 loser, which would have been Welsh/Turley, both the guys he lost to, so he’d be back into the 9th place bracket there.

If he beats Maylor he probably places top 8 in that scenario, but he did lose to Maylor in the dual.

I mean I guess I wouldn’t be opposed to guys being able to not enter the conference tourney and still be entered into the at large pool (although there should be some penalty), but based on the current rules there isn’t anything wrong with what PSU did.

Ohio State's Bryce Hepner at #24 in 165 is the highest CR wrestler to not make the field or the alternate list.

Little Rock's Tyler Brennan at #23 in 174 is the highest ranked 1st alternate. Davidson's Tanner Peake #33 in 157 is the lowest.

Northwestern's Troy Fisher at #27 in 184 is the highest ranked 2nd alternate. Oregon State's Gabe Whisenhunt at #31 in 133 is the lowest.

23 of the 330 in the field (7%) are unranked by the coaches.

But 24 ranked wrestlers did not make the field (there was a tie for #33 in 133).