Brittney Griner prisoner swap

Nailbender

3 hours ago, Nailbender said:

We gave up a guy who had a hand in the death of thousands

All with his hands too, as guns don't kill people and played no part in anyone's death. 

• Haha 2

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

6 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

Well then, in comparison to other, recent presidents, Biden's looking pretty good on the whole prisoner exchange thing from my perspective.

When I read the article, I thought great decision in not trading for Whelan.

When I read the Whelen tweet, I felt bad for the family.

When I see the news about the baller, I think how great for the family.

When I see who we freed, I think Brandon is an idiot.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, jross said:

When I read the article, I thought great decision in not trading for Whelan.

When I read the Whelen tweet, I felt bad for the family.

When I see the news about the baller, I think how great for the family.

When I see who we freed, I think Brandon is an idiot.

Did you read the article where it said that this was a choice between Griner being freed or nobody being freed?

Hypothetically, my wife says she would trade the MoD for her own daughter.  I would not. 

She says the MoD’s brother Joe just took his spot.  I’m like sure but this guy is going to destroy more lives than are affected by getting the daughter back.  Am I cold hearted or big hearted?  Depends on how you look at it.

Edited by jross

4 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

All with his hands too, as guns don't kill people and played no part in anyone's death. 

I let you get the last word last night but you just couldn't leave it alone, could you? 

Although, I am really digging your debate style.

Step 1. Drag political debate on to the main forum.

Step 1. Argue with yourself and invalidate your own argument.

Step 2. Try to give me my opinion.

Step 3. Spout off about things you know very little about.

Step 4. Get owned.

Step 4. Whine about being pinned down to your own stupid feelings based arguments that have no basis in reality.

Step 5. Act childish some more.

Step 6. Regurgitate the opinion you tried to give me back to me as if I said it, agreed with it or somehow it was validated in anyway.

PS if you're smart enough to realize the counting is off, don't blame me. This is your list not mine.

Even after I asked you not to turn this conversation to guns and start your own thread, you did it anyway. I tried being respectful anyway and I tried ignoring you. I guess this is how we will communicate.

21 minutes ago, Nailbender said:

I let you get the last word last night but you just couldn't leave it alone, could you? 

Step 4. Get owned.

Step 4. Whine about being pinned down to your own stupid feelings based arguments that have no basis in reality.

Step 6. Regurgitate the opinion you tried to give me back to me as if I said it, agreed with it or somehow it was validated in anyway.

PS if you're smart enough to realize the counting is off, don't blame me. This is your list not mine.

Even after I asked you not to turn this conversation to guns and start your own thread, you did it anyway. I tried being respectful anyway and I tried ignoring you. I guess this is how we will communicate.

Pot meet kettle

20 hours ago, Nailbender said:

Step 4. Get owned.

It's ok.  As I said,  I don't take guns that seriously and they're not a big part of my identity. 

I was just wondering why guns suddenly became dangerous and killers of people,  rather than people being killers.  Beats me!

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

It's ok.  As I said,  I don't take guns that seriously and they're not a big part of my identity. 

I was just wondering why guns suddenly became dangerous and killers of people,  rather than people being killers.  Beats me!

The problem is the knowing enablement of mass homicide more than the object.

Let's say a terrorist group wants to choke people to death by stuffing their mouths with rubber chickens.  But they can't get their hands on enough rubber chickens to kill a large number of people.  Along comes this guy who provides tens of thousands of rubber chickens with direct knowledge that the terrorist will use them to kill people.  

Replace rubber chicken with wrestling shoes, kittens, beer, pocket knife, Joseph Bruno's toys, cars, etc.  Lots of people use these objects without killing people.

image.png.7140cbb8c7df95706b2293c198db8632.png

3 minutes ago, jross said:

Let's say a terrorist group wants to choke people to death by stuffing their mouths with rubber chickens.  But they can't get their hands on enough rubber chickens to kill a large number of people.  Along comes this guy who provides tens of thousands of rubber chickens with direct knowledge that the terrorist will use them to kill people.  

Replace rubber chicken with wrestling shoes, kittens, beer, pocket knife, Joseph Bruno's toys, cars, etc.  Lots of people use these objects without killing people.

Again,  guns don't kill people,  people do,  so a gun smuggler should be of zero concern to a 2nd Amendment guru. 

6 hours ago, jross said:

Low class post. Really, seriously weak.  Maybe you're angry, but - still - try to do better.

• Fire 1

Acknowledged.  

If you say your daughter died from guns, and you feel that one death is worth stripping the rights of a nation... then that's an informed view.  I may not agree with it, but I'll respect it.

Selling guns to 80M civilians that have repeatedly demonstrated their use for law-abiding purposes cannot be compared to the Russian guy selling guns to enable mass killing.  If you want to argue this, I'm going to throw rubber chickens into the mix.  

Sure!  Some tools are more effective at killing than others.  A gun is not alive and deciding to kill people.  It isn't very sensible to say otherwise. 

The tattoo on my right arm honors a friend who took his life with a shotgun at 21.  His choice is no reason to regulate shotguns.

The data shows that guns are a near-zero cause of death in the USA.  This is superbly impressive data, considering the massive amount of available guns.  

It is nonsense to further regulate legal gun ownership nationwide across 80M legal gun owners in a manner that doesn't address the rare isolated bad case incidents.  

The data shows we could reduce felony murder by policing targeted city blocks better... be tough on minor infractions, enforce curfews, etc.

Edited by jross

My wife's view on Griner is that the trade was good.  If it was her daughter, she would rather have her daughter back even if that meant 1000 other people died.  I don't agree with her but I understand her.

My view is that if it was my daughter, it is soul-crushing to say, but the greater good outweighs the few.  No trade.  Find another way like Ross Perot did, pay a bunch of money, etc.  My wife doesn't agree with me, but she understands the view.  

Edited by jross

5 hours ago, jross said:

My wife's view on Griner is that the trade was good.  If it was her daughter, she would rather have her daughter back even if that meant 1000 other people died.  I don't agree with her but I understand her.

My view is that if it was my daughter, it is soul-crushing to say, but the greater good outweighs the few.  No trade.  Find another way like Ross Perot did, pay a bunch of money, etc.  My wife doesn't agree with me, but she understands the view.  

That's fair.

Just like Pro-choice vs Pro-life. Two different views on the same topic. We don't all have to agree. It's more important that we understand each other than it is to try to force each other to change.

15 hours ago, jross said:

The data shows that guns are a near-zero cause of death in the USA.  This is superbly impressive data, considering the massive amount of available guns.  

That's a pretty callous way to look at people being needlessly killed,  especially when one purports to be "pro-life." My description of it being "pro-birth" becomes more fitting everyday. 

As of today,  there have been 42,038 deaths by firearms ( yes,  I know,  most are suicides, but,  oh well,  right?) this year,  with nearly all being unnecessary.   Add the fact that gun violence  is now the leading cause of death among children in the U.S., your "zero cause" looks callous given all of this. 

Edited by Ban Basketball
  • Fire 1