Who wins Pan Am Championships?

US participants:

57 kg: Spencer Lee (Titan Mercury WC/Hawkeye WC)

61 kg: Nick Suriano (Sunkist Kids)

65 kg: Nick Lee (Titan Mercury WC/Nittany Lion WC)

70 kg: Alec Pantaleo (Titan Mercury WC/ Cliff Keen WC)

74 kg: Kyle Dake (Titan Mercury WC/Nittany Lion WC)

79 kg: Alex Facundo (Titan Mercury WC/Nittany Lion WC)

86 kg: Chance Marsteller (Titan Mercury WC/NYC RTC)

92 kg: Nate Jackson (New York AC/NJRTC)

97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Titan Mercury WC/Nittany Lion WC)

125 kg: Mason Parris (Titan Mercury WC/Cliff Keen WC)

No surprise - I pick Lee, Lee, Dake, and Snyder to take Gold.   Not sure of the rest.   What you got?

mspart

• Fire 2

It is my understanding that if RBY makes it to the finals of this tournament, he will be on the opposite side of the bracket from Zane Richards at the Pan Am Olympic Games qualifying tournament. 

I hope he's on the opposite side of the bracket here from Spencer Lee, or he's gonna get beat by Spencer and Zane in consecutive weekends.

That is, if he can make weight two weeks in a row.

As for picks, I'm going with yours mspart, except I'd add Suriano as a lock and Mason Parris as a near lock.

In fact, at all the non-Olympic weights, I think the USA rep has to be a huge favorite. That's because of (1) America's incredible depth compared to other nations in our hemisphere, and (2) those other nations have their major contenders at Olympic weights.

There'll probably be a couple tough Cubanos, though, at the non-Olympic 70 kg and 79 kg weights, unless Cuba can't afford to send them, or has no interest. Cheers!

• Fire 1

Is Cuba boycotting parts of the Pan Am Championships? Are they out of money? Is there something offensive to the communist sensibilities about 57kg, 61kg, 79kg and 92kg? They have some Greco athletes wrestling today, but they don't have freestylers at the non-Olympic weights and at 57kg. 

USA wrecking things in Greco. 

The USA with a Gold or two in Greco so far, at least a couple of Silvers, Cohlton Schultz had to injury forfeit (if I'm reading the brackets correctly), and I just watched Kamal Bey destroy his Bronze medal opponent. The Americans appear to be on their way to a team championship, but it is a lot closer. 

The match that everybody wanted to see at 77kg, the Cuban versus Kamal Bey, didn't materialize. They both lost, and not to each other. There's a Colombian and a Brazilian in the finals at that weight. I guess that's why they wrestle the matches. 

Brackets seem to show an injury to Schultz in the semis. But he just pinned his opponent in the Bronze match. WTF? He looked very fit. 

Cuba won a Gold at 87kg, while the USA did not place. El Cubanos could challenge for the team trophy. We needed more Brawlnagel there. 

They wrestle two more Greco weights tomorrow. 

Americans will win medals in the last two Greco weights. They'll be your unofficial team champions.

I didn't believe half the weird things that I wrote in my three posts yesterday, but UWW published a results article this morning that confirmed all of it. Wild stuff.

Schultz with an injury forfeit in the semis, then a :30 pin in the Bronze match was the weirdest, actual true thing.

1 hour ago, Tripnsweep said:

He probably didn't want to give Acosta a feel for him if they wrestle next week. 

Do you think we'll see more of this next week? Top 2 qualify but I guess it defaulting out of finals could impact Paris seeding.

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

They aren't wrestling the finals at the OQ anymore.

I really like this because it incentivizes competing in other tournies with the goal of increasing your seed therefore increasing your likelihood of reaching the finals. It's not perfect and nothing ever will be, but I like the intent behind the decision.

ETA: a lot of people were already forfeiting once they qualified, but this clearly bifurcated the competitions into two mini tournies. No ambiguity, just incentive.

Edited by bnwtwg
  • Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Suriano beat the Cuban 3-2 in the first round. It's a round robin, and he'll eventually get a bye in round three because of an injury to the Ecuadorian wrestler. Is that Cubano going to drop down to 57kg next week? Is that allowed? I thought it was not, but don't know for sure. In case it is allowed, him losing to Suriano and then having to lose another 9 pounds in a week. Ouch!

What do you make of RBY's decision not to wrestle this weekend? I've been pondering that. He gave up his best shot at going to the Olympics (i.e. by reaching the finals this weekend and being put in the opposite bracket from Zane Richards) because he (1) either had too tough of a cut, or (2) he is injured or sick, or (3) he is recovering from injury or sickness and wasn't in wrestling shape. None of them bode well for him. 

Dake's first match was in the quarters, and he teched the poor fellow from Panama. He's got a Cuban in his bracket who won 9-4 in the first round. Dake techs everybody but the Cuban? 

Looks like they're wrestling the rest of the freestyle matches tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Suriano beat the Cuban 3-2 in the first round. It's a round robin, and he'll eventually get a bye in round three because of an injury to the Ecuadorian wrestler. Is that Cubano going to drop down to 57kg next week? Is that allowed? I thought it was not, but don't know for sure. In case it is allowed, him losing to Suriano and then having to lose another 9 pounds in a week. Ouch!

What do you make of RBY's decision not to wrestle this weekend? I've been pondering that. He gave up his best shot at going to the Olympics (i.e. by reaching the finals this weekend and being put in the opposite bracket from Zane Richards) because he (1) either had too tough of a cut, or (2) he is injured or sick, or (3) he is recovering from injury or sickness and wasn't in wrestling shape. None of them bode well for him. 

Dake's first match was in the quarters, and he teched the poor fellow from Panama. He's got a Cuban in his bracket who won 9-4 in the first round. Dake techs everybody but the Cuban? 

Looks like they're wrestling the rest of the freestyle matches tomorrow. 

The cut is tough. Although doing well at the champs would have increased his seed for the qualifier, it would have sucked really, really bad if he got injured at the champs and could not compete or perform at his best at the qualifier. 

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

The cut is tough. Although doing well at the champs would have increased his seed for the qualifier, it would have sucked really, really bad if he got injured at the champs and could not compete or perform at his best at the qualifier. 

Don't a lot of coaches have their wrestlers doing simulation live-goes up to a week before a tournament? Can't imagine a better live-go simulation than the actual arena on the actual mats against many of the same opponents and same refs. But who knows!

Marsteller got the tech in about 4:30. Cuba just lost on the other mat at his weight. To Canada, LOL! 

Either 1) RBY is following the NLWC mantra of "we don't care about seeds we will just show up to beat everyone"

OR

2) All-time duck of Spencer Lee.

I'm taking door #2 and not even Baschamania can change my mind.

• Fire 1

33 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Either 1) RBY is following the NLWC mantra of "we don't care about seeds we will just show up to beat everyone"

OR

2) All-time duck of Spencer Lee.

I'm taking door #2 and not even Baschamania can change my mind.

I think he's decided just to focus on the Olympic Qualifier next weekend.  A big weight cut two weekends in a row probably isn't going to help him.  He isn't ducking Lee.  The goal is to qualify.  He has a reasonable chance of beating Richards if they are on the same side of the bracket.   

If not, there is always a last chance Qualifier

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, SocraTease said:

I think he's decided just to focus on the Olympic Qualifier next weekend.  A big weight cut two weekends in a row probably isn't going to help him.  He isn't ducking Lee.  The goal is to qualify.  He has a reasonable chance of beating Richards if they are on the same side of the bracket.   

If not, there is always a last chance Qualifier

I heard the same thing about Glory not weighing in against Lee

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Gray gets teched 0-10.  After becoming a mom, she has lost a step or two.  Who can blame her.  Becoming a mom is a huge deal mentally and physically.  

She’s 33 and in women’s sports historically age catches up to them much quicker than men but they also hit their prime a few years younger than men do. Look at her results, her prime was 2014-2019

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

She’s 33 and in women’s sports historically age catches up to them much quicker than men but they also hit their prime a few years younger than men do. Look at her results, her prime was 2014-2019

? She was pregnant in 2022 but didn't Adeline medal every year since 2020? Olympic silver in Tokyo, a World title, and a World bronze last year.