Joe Dubuque way over his head as HC

feet2back

16 hours ago, feet2back said:

Also lost to Drexel and Blown out by Columbia....Has any Program faded so much in 1 season?

Northwestern?

Seriously though, programs like Princeton need a little slack to rebuild. They're not like Iowa or PSU who can reload year in and year out.

15 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

lucky for you I’m not a Purdue graduate that hates on IU. IU is the cooler do the two schools, Purdue is more dweeby. They also have the edge in wrestling at the moment. Other sports idk and idc about. 

Congrats on the degrees, I didn’t know they actually have those out at IU I thought it was all block parties and frat houses down in Bloomington. Your two degrees is probably equivalent to my one from Purdue 😉 

Purdue also has superior lawns and landscaping by a mile

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Purdue also has superior lawns and landscaping by a mile

IU is beautiful tbh. However, I was a greens and fairway mower at Ackerman-Allen golf course. Like 4/5 wrestlers were working there actually at different times during the summer. That place is well kept and instantly what I thought of when you mentioned lawns.

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

Dang, I didn't realize Gray left too.

I had these sort of short-notice coaching "adjustments" happen both during High School and College.  It is weak.  I understand when coaches need to do it, people have good opportunities etc, but it does send a terrible message to the wrestlers about every interaction you ever had with them. 

In most cases you definitely can't blame the coach, but there's no doubt that it has a significant impact on athletes and the program as a whole, especially in a sport like wrestling.  

When I think of the best coaches, they are around for the growth of the athletes, and they in many cases turn down certain opportunities because the relationships with their athletes is more impactful.  I was definitely blessed at least in High School, when the coach who filled in (exactly in Dubuque's current spot) wound up being the type of coach who was really there for the wrestlers, dude saved saved and grew the program way beyond what it had ever been before, but it took ~4 years of low numbers before it built back.

I think he focused his attention the last few years on Glory and that paid off.  

Although Penn beat them, Princeton has had more all americans in recent years including 3 finals appearances.  I think recruits look at how some guys develop more than dual results

• Fire 1

18 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

lucky for you I’m not a Purdue graduate that hates on IU. IU is the cooler do the two schools, Purdue is more dweeby. They also have the edge in wrestling at the moment. Other sports idk and idc about. 

Congrats on the degrees, I didn’t know they actually have those out at IU I thought it was all block parties and frat houses down in Bloomington. Your two degrees is probably equivalent to my one from Purdue 😉 

I’m not a hater of iu…..

My two degrees from Purdue are prolly worth your one from iu 

…….

13 hours ago, Corby said:

Ayers was smart for leaving when he did. He was aware that they were in another rebuilding phase .

For a long time I had hoped Ayres wasn’t this calculating, but that may be wishful/naive thinking, he spearheaded the movement to get girls wrestling into the NJSIAA, was it all just to get his daughter into Princeton?

With him being the second coach in a row to forsake the home he built for California dollar signs(the first being Koll), that really isn’t great company to keep.  

• Fire 1

On 2/17/2024 at 10:37 PM, jdalu75 said:

Here's one measure -- Princeton won its first dual under Ayres in his third season as head coach.

Haven't followed this issue, but just curious......when Ayres left, did he leave with the cupboard bare???

8 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

For a long time I had hoped Ayres wasn’t this calculating, but that may be wishful/naive thinking, he spearheaded the movement to get girls wrestling into the NJSIAA, was it all just to get his daughter into Princeton?

With him being the second coach in a row to forsake the home he built for California dollar signs(the first being Koll), that really isn’t great company to keep.  

Say what you want. Coaching has inherent risks.  
Being a persons livelihood demands that , first and foremost he takes care of his family. 
Schools don’t seem to have any problems with dismissing a coach for performance results in tje middle of a season, let alone after or before. And not giving two cents about what the members of the team think, that he recruited. I can’t ever rough shot over a coaches decision to make a change of his career.  It is up to the institution now to build on what Ayers brought to the school. And be thankful for what he brought to the school. He has it in better shape than when he started. 

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Why would getting girls wrestling into the NJSIAA have anything to do with getting his daughter into Princeton?  

8 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Oklahoma is fading fast.  Not sure if it is in just one season but Oklahoma State cut through the Sooners like butter. 

So how long does OU give Kish to rebuild? Yes, they are not an Ivy league school, but is he getting the recruits? 

I know that DJ Parker (184 and followed Kish from NDSU) will be back next year. 

18 hours ago, feet2back said:

Wow...3rd place out of 6 teams...the team must be going to Contes to celebrate

Tigers now have Reece Humphrey as an Assistant Coach and have the talent and coaching to compete at a high level.  

I think there have only been a few years where the Tigers were above 3rd place in the Ivies in the Ayres era.  Tigers had no 125 lber and their very good 197 lber Luke Stout was out as well.  They are not as down as this match and the Lehigh match seems.  Penn beat them last year as well and Princeton had Glory and Monday for that match if memory serves.  

On 2/17/2024 at 7:46 PM, feet2back said:

Also lost to Drexel and Blown out by Columbia....Has any Program faded so much in 1 season?

Iowa lost to Michigan?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.