Pros/Cons for Trump

JimmyBT

Besides the strong economy, popularlizing the term 'fake news' helped millions to discern manipulation and bias in the information they consume.  It also helped many realize how the government and corporations leverage the news and social media for their own purposes.

There was a time where I wouldn't have believed this segment from Mike Benz.  What I wrestle with is whether folks don't believe it or whether they know and prefer it.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, jross said:

helped millions to discern manipulation and bias in the information they consume.

It also helped many realize how the government and corporations leverage the news and social media for their own purposes.

Agree with many things you say on here, but I gotta strongly (respectfully) disagree with these two things here. The first part: I believe the level of manipulation and bias in ‘information’, as well as the public’s acceptance of it, has continuously growing to each new year being a new all time high, and has been for a long time.  The second part: maybe or maybe not more people realize, but the behavior doesn’t show it. People still to a high degree continue to fall in for whatever side ‘their media’ is displaying. 

Just go through and read thread after thread of this board…

2 hours ago, jross said:

Besides the strong economy, popularlizing the term 'fake news' helped millions to discern manipulation and bias in the information they consume.  It also helped many realize how the government and corporations leverage the news and social media for their own purposes.

There was a time where I wouldn't have believed this segment from Mike Benz.  What I wrestle with is whether folks don't believe it or whether they know and prefer it.  

Having seen most of the elements, Benz does a fine job of stringing it together and naming names.  The question about Elon hit me about ten minutes before Tucker asked it.  

9 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Agree with many things you say on here, but I gotta strongly (respectfully) disagree with these two things here. The first part: I believe the level of manipulation and bias in ‘information’, as well as the public’s acceptance of it, has continuously growing to each new year being a new all time high, and has been for a long time.  The second part: maybe or maybe not more people realize, but the behavior doesn’t show it. People still to a high degree continue to fall in for whatever side ‘their media’ is displaying. 

Just go through and read thread after thread of this board…

100% that fake news predates Trump and has gotten worse   He popularized awareness of it.  Personally I had higher trust than Democrats in 1997 and lower trust than Republicans in 2016. 

_fnglfgxdee9m2vdnmh1ma.png

3tq9inhrquecdyh0rjjtua.png

See more charts, including how zero trust in news increased from 9% in 1998 to 39% in 2023.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/512861/media-confidence-matches-2016-record-low.aspx

I agree that people generally fall in for whatever side ‘their media’ is displaying.  It's part of the emotional side that human's cannot escape.  However my own observations is that these charts are accurate.  I see it reflected in these forums.  More right wingers will criticize their political side and right-leaning media as compared to left wingers criticizing the left-leaning media and politics.

Personally I don't trust much of any news on first read anymore.  Warning signs

• It includes an opinion
  • It is one-sided
  • It includes an outlandish headline
  • Multiple news report the same keywords / language
  • A quick readup on the author
  • The sponsor / ownership majority of the news company
  • It goes against real-life common behaviors... e.g. internal bullshit detector fires

So much grattitude here for independent journalism and raw video access on X.  The good > the bad on X.

Edited by jross
Replace 1973 with 1998. 1973 was ~6%.
  • Fire 2

Trump good

• The slogan Make America Great Again was fantastic.  See my list what great means to me.
  • America first policies
  • Strong economy and stock market before Covid
  • Protected tradational values with supreme court picks
  • No new wars that I recall
  • He met with Putin and Kim Jong-Un
  • Self-sufficient energy
  • Tougher on illegal immigration
  • Price transparency progress in health care
  • He held partners and countries accountable 

Surprised nobody mentioned the first step act

True story:   We were on vacation in DC.   This is back in the 60s.   I was young and got sick and had to stay at my aunt's house while my family went to downtown.   My sister and my Dad went to the top of the Washington Monument.   There were hippies in there and my sister told be about the choking body odor.    Then while driving around they saw some sort of protest.   My dad was unimpressed because of the few number of people in the protest.   When he got home and watched the evening news, that protest looked on screen and was described as a huge protest with all these people.   It was at that moment my Dad figured out that the news had an agenda other than reporting unbiased news.   That would have been 1968.   I remember watching a burial and asked why we were watching it and my mom said it was for Robert Kennedy.     

mspart