Transferring to Iowa - Mistake?

Just now, macwoodfleet said:

Cope harder, I guess? there are 30 head coaches in the country that would get more out of Iowa's resources, including two in that state.  The fact that a historic, iconic, proud program like Iowa lets themselves be coached by two brothers who clearly don't have all the crayons in the box is downright sad.

Franek, Caliendo, Teske, woods, Eirerman.  Which one didn’t get better after going to Iowa??  

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Eierman and Woods had their highest placements ever at Iowa, both 1 seeds.  Just didn't happen in the last match, and lost close matches to great opponents.  Teske was never an AA anywhere else.

19 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I would exclude Eierman from the list. He got to SV in the final his first year at Iowa after never making a final. The next year he was looking like a sure finalist until he messed up his knee late in the season. And I do not blame that on Iowa grind. I blame that on the style he brought to Iowa. He was always OK giving up a leg and countering, but it finally caught up to him.

Eierman made a final at Iowa because the two guys that placed ahead of him his last NCAAs at Mizzou (Yianni and McKenna) sat out or graduated. He also lost to Lee who he majored (12-4) while at Mizzou. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, XiXiTiger said:

Eierman made a final at Iowa because the two guys that placed ahead of him his last NCAAs at Mizzou (Yianni and McKenna) sat out or graduated. He also lost to Lee who he majored (12-4) while at Mizzou. 

Guys graduate or move up in weight every year. He made a final because he dominated 4 guys at NCAAs. By your calculus every finalist is tainted if the guy who beat him the prior year graduated. Not true.

And no one thinks Nick Lee did not jump several levels between 2018 and 2021.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

11 minutes ago, XiXiTiger said:

Cause Lee didn’t get better too. Smh

1 minute ago, JimmyBT said:

Cause Lee didn’t get better too. Smh

But that's the point, dude. Lee kept getting better. Eierman plateaued and made the finals in a cleared-out weight class and lost to the only other guy. Penn State guys keep getting better.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

But that's the point, dude. Lee kept getting better. Eierman plateaued and made the finals in a cleared-out weight class and lost to the only other guy. Penn State guys keep getting better.

He plateaued after only two,years at Iowa. Got it 🤦‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

Eierman plateaued but Lee only beat him in overtime. Honestly, you're saying words without any thought or logic behind them because you're so eager to dunk on Iowa. If you're going to be a troll, you need to at least be funny. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Eierman plateaued but Lee only beat him in overtime. Honestly, you're saying words without any thought or logic behind them because you're so eager to dunk on Iowa. If you're going to be a troll, you need to at least be funny. 

Who got their hand raised? Lee made up 10 points of ground on Eierman in a short period of time. I don't have to dunk on Iowa, everyone just watched their wrestlers score in the wrong basket for two hours on national tv.

Edited by macwoodfleet

5 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

Caliendo is a better wrestler than last year. Franek is too.  Now tell me how franek has plateaued because it’s his first year at Iowa 

Edited by JimmyBT
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, JimmyBT said:

Caliendo is a better wrestler than last year. Franek is too.  Now tell me how franek has plateaued because it’s his first year at Iowa 

You think Franek would've got majored at home 12-0 by levi last year? I sure don't.

10 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

Who got their hand raised? Lee made up 10 points of ground on Eierman in a short period of time. I don't have to dunk on Iowa, everyone just watched their wrestlers score in the wrong basket for two hours on national tv.

You’re trying to turn your lame argument into Penn st has a better coaching staff than Iowa.  NOBODY is saying they don’t. .  Go back to the original post 

Edited by JimmyBT

8 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

You think Franek would've got majored at home 12-0 by levi last year? I sure don't.

Yep I do. Only it would have been in front of 800 people maybe 2000 if Penn  st actually would go to North Dakota st. 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by JimmyBT

6 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

... no he didn't. They wrestled at B1Gs that year and Eierman won 6-5.  The 12-4 match was 3 years before that.

47 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

The theme applies to guys in the room for a career, though. If you're an elite recruit, it may be the worst room in the country to go to. They will break you down, give you HEW, and you'll have limited senior prospects unless you go to Penn State's room. Ask Thomas Gilman. He will tell you.

“Worst room in the country to go to”?? Other than Penn St, what room would they have had more success in than Iowa? Maybe Mich, Cornell - but those teams aren’t beating Penn St either. Iowa is the clear #2 the last ten years, no one else even close.

2 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Teske, Woods, Franek, Caliendo

Let's not forget Desanto as well.

And even though they never won their respective weight classes, they had their best performances at Iowa.  For most of them, the transfer in is a desire to be around a heartier wrestling culture.  Stanford and Drexel certainly don't offer that, and Franek/Caliendo happened because Kish left North Dakota State.  

Eierman I'm just guessing was killing everyone in the room and obviously wasn't progressing, bc he was raised in the system and probably felt like had squeezed everything he could out of Mizzou's goofy/funkfest style of wrestling.

57 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

We talking about the same guy? Check his Twitter lmao.

Was he not at the match cheering on Iowa tonight?   Big ten network had him on camera decked out in Iowa gear soooooooo. 

Edited by JimmyBT

35 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

So weight class competition does matter??? 

48 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

... no he didn't. They wrestled at B1Gs that year and Eierman won 6-5.  The 12-4 match was 3 years before that.

Bro, you're proving my point. Eierman went to Iowa, Lee stayed at PSU, and the gap closed significantly. 12-4 loss to 6-5 loss to win