PSU at Iowa match commentary

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

From BEG: “Who ate more mat tonight: Franek or Schriever?”

I missed the HWT match last night to attend to one of my kids. Watched it this morning. Kerk nearly put Kooter through the dollamur. That was wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ftfy. 🙂

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Did Dollamur exist in 1994 when Iowa’s mat was manufactured?

Doesn't matter ... Sparkys uses the "resilite" regardless of which mat.  Personally I'd say:  he took him to the horse hair.  

• Fire 1

I saw much of the match, but watched it a 4:30 AM on Saturday.  Penn State looked great.  I was particularly impressed with Haines and Mesenbrink. 

Mesenbrink is a lot of f*n! Caliendo had his moments, but was unable to convert.  I look forward to watching MM compete over the next several years in NCAA and then beyond.  Gotta keep that knee healthy though!

This is the type of jump I expected to see from Haines all year.  He really opened it up on perhaps his toughest opponent yet.  Very impressive.

I'm sure Davis will improve, but I didn't see a lot from him.  I don't think Ayala wrestling from one knee was as big a stall as others felt.  When contact was made, he came up to both feet and handfought from there.  My guess is Davis has good shots from the outside, and they gameplanned?

Nagao looked good (mostly late) against an overmatched Schriever.  Nagao got the turns working late and this was when he looked impressive.  For the most of the match, he seemed content to ride legs and get his RT.  He does this thing where he acts very frantic as if he's trying to turn his opponent, but he may have been putting on a show for the official.  I also love the one armed RNC, a Nagao special!

Oh, and though Bartlett looked good and seems like a nice kid, I'm not sure how much of that match was about how "Bartlett got a lot better" as opposed to "something is up with Woods."

Wish I saw Kerk vs. Kueter but the match went over and I wasn't able to record.

Nice job by PSU and congrats Nit fans.  No big surprises for me other than some margins of victory.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

On 2/11/2024 at 12:34 AM, Le duke said:

After that he yelled, like a crazy homeless person, “Not to put them on a pedestal!”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was almost Joe Biden-like craziness...just sporadic yelling for no apparent reason.

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I doubt it would ever happen, but if it is determined that Mesenbrink is repeatedly putting himself purposefully into a PD position, it is an offense that can (and should) be penalized.

Back in the day Iowa had one of the best in the country at this, if memory correct - Tyler Nixt.  

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

That sounds correct.

BTW, Askren basically said today that he would like to see the refs let MM wrestle through that position.

Thats the way I felt about Nixt, he did it intentionally so ...