He Got Carvered Confusion

PortaJohn

3 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

I didn't really think Kasak would qualify?  He may be higher ranked but it's not like he's heavily favored or a seasoned veteran.  Heck he may not even be the starter according to Cael.

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

IMHO for him to get carvered he's have to get majored or something. Him losing a one TD match doesn't qualify.

Yeah I don’t hate this take.  Although to be fair Mark Hall vs Alex Meyer was Hall’s first ever college dual.  I know not the same situation but if that’s a clear carvering then I think there’s an argument for Kasak to be an option

5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I don’t hate this take.  Although to be fair Mark Hall vs Alex Meyer was Hall’s first ever college dual.  I know not the same situation but if that’s a clear carvering then I think there’s an argument for Kasak to be an option

i don't think that counts as a carvering.....meyer was a returning AA, and Hall was a pretty boring wrestler his whole college career.

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

4 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i don't think that counts as a carvering.....meyer was a returning AA, and Hall was a pretty boring wrestler his whole college career.

I didn’t realize Rathjen was ranked so high.  Flo has Kasak/Rathjen at 12/15 and Intermat has them at 10/12.  I think you’re right that it’s not a carvering unless he gets majored or something

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I didn’t realize Rathjen was ranked so high.  Flo has Kasak/Rathjen at 12/15 and Intermat has them at 10/12.  I think you’re right that it’s not a carvering unless he gets majored or something

or is up 4-1 with 90 seconds left and gives up 2 stalls and a TD for the loss....just trying to work out my definition...

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

2 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i don't want to be difficult, the conclusion of this paragraph contradicts the introduction. If you want to say its 50 different things fine, i wouldn't because it explains away the meaning of the expression, but you can't say its any number of things and then its a bunch of things which are perfectly balanced. 

Well, I'm not trying to get too metaphorical with this but there are many different ways to make a great stew with different ingredients.  A great stew doesn't always require carrots or potatoes   

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

49 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Well, I'm not trying to get too metaphorical with this but there are many different ways to make a great stew with different ingredients.  A great stew doesn't always require carrots or potatoes   

I would say a great stew has to have at least carrots or potatoes.  Having neither is just meat sitting in gravy.

Did Brooks get Carvered (or reverse-Carvered)?  Big time swagger in front of loud home crowd, razor close dual meet, gets a little too confident on his shot and gets pinned in a junior high move.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Did Brooks get Carvered (or reverse-Carvered)?  Big time swagger in front of loud home crowd, razor close dual meet, gets a little too confident on his shot and gets pinned in a junior high move.

Nah, he was a heavy underdog but to Sammy's credit he left college wrestling with some of it's most iconic moments

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

Nah, he was a heavy underdog but to Sammy's credit he left college wrestling with some of it's most iconic moments

Ok, how about RBY making Desanto tap out?  Reverse Carvered?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

I think a key element of 'Carvering' involves chaos and usually disorientation of some sort.

It is often a 'mismatch' between two competitors (e.g., Schwabby and Guerrero), but necessary to the situation, I think, is a moment where something goes haywire: e.g., a wrestler bonks out in the third; a ref calls stalling or intervenes in the match in some other way; the score or riding time clock is incorrect; etc. The crowd plays a necessary and critical role in these moments: by getting really loud and making it difficult for said wrestlers and refs and staff to orient to the match and do what they came to do. I think the example of Sammy Brooks and Bo Nickal is actually a good example of the lesser known phenomenon of 'anti-Carvering': a talented and cool-headed star is unrattled by the environment and masters the chaos through his own unconventional technique. One can compare this, too, to 'near-Carvering': for instance when Brandon Sorensen almost got one on Zain.

I should probably go back to work.

• Fire 3