Winning at end of 1st? Your choice to start 2nd.

6 hours ago, Pipewrench said:

Another way to incentivize scoring in the first period.  

If no score then it would go to coin flip or fall back to odd or even matches.

Thoughts or stupic idea?  

Not a big change. Is it really that big of an advantage to have choice in the 2nd. Have there ever been instances where somebody thought.. I would have won if only I had won that coin flip for choice

• Fire 4

Huge change.  I mean it won’t impact any match whatsoever but it will:

1.  give commentators one more thing to get wrong every match. 
2. give posters here one more thing to comment on every time it isn’t stated correctly.   Damn these announcers are bad on ESPN+/flo bla bla.  
3. give casual fans one more reason to think damn this is confusing.   

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Is it really that big of an advantage to have choice in the 2nd.

Absolutely.  Especially between opponents at an equal level.  Say wrestler A goes into the 2nd period with a lead 3-1 or 3-0.   He can defer knowing he'll go on top & if he can achieve building riding time he'll force wrestler B to cut him loose early in the 3rd period.  Theoretically wrestler A is up 4-2, 4-1, or even 4-0 with riding time(essentially making it 5-0) with all the advantages in the 3rd.  

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

39 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Absolutely.  Especially between opponents at an equal level.  Say wrestler A goes into the 2nd period with a lead 3-1 or 3-0.   He can defer knowing he'll go on top & if he can achieve building riding time he'll force wrestler B to cut him loose early in the 3rd period.  Theoretically wrestler A is up 4-2, 4-1, or even 4-0 with riding time(essentially making it 5-0) with all the advantages in the 3rd.  

Yeah, I get how it works. Assuming that you wrestled, do you ever remember feeling a disadvantaged because you didn't have choice.

2 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Yeah, I get how it works. Assuming that you wrestled, do you ever remember feeling a disadvantaged because you didn't have choice.

Yes. I feel strategically if im going to be in a 1-0 win match, in the 3rd period its easier to get and escape and not get taken down, than it is to ride someone for the final 2 min of the match.

9 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Yes. I feel strategically if im going to be in a 1-0 win match, in the 3rd period its easier to get and escape and not get taken down, than it is to ride someone for the final 2 min of the match.

I get the hypotheticals. But do you ever remember personally thinking you lost a match because you didn't have choice?

Edited by Jim L

1 hour ago, Caveira said:

Huge change.  I mean it won’t impact any match whatsoever but it will:

1.  give commentators one more thing to get wrong every match. 
2. give posters here one more thing to comment on every time it isn’t stated correctly.   Damn these announcers are bad on ESPN+/flo bla bla.  
3. give casual fans one more reason to think damn this is confusing.   

This would actually make it easier for casual fans to know who has choice in the second.   Just maybe not the third

27 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Yes, theres a lot of psychology and strategy that goes into wrestling when you start competing at higher levels.  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

23 minutes ago, Jim L said:

I get the hypotheticals. But do you ever remember personally thinking you lost a match because you didn't have choice?

I literally gave you the secnario. And yes it happened to me. I had a rival in high school where we always wrestled close matches. I was 4-1 against him. The one loss took place because of that exact scenario.

19 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

I literally gave you the secnario. And yes it happened to me. I had a rival in high school where we always wrestled close matches. I was 4-1 against him. The one loss took place because of that exact scenario.

You literally gave me a hypothetical. Now you have given an actual situation, so I can accept that some people feel it is an advantage. I don't ever recall it being a big deal to me. I also don't remember it ever being discussed as being a factor in  NCAA championship match.,.. i e  my guy would have won if the coin flip went his way. And it seems every other "what if' scenario is discussed

37 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Yes, theres a lot of psychology and strategy that goes into wrestling when you start competing at higher levels.  

So you personally remember coin flips going against you being a big deal?

6 hours ago, Jim L said:

You literally gave me a hypothetical. Now you have given an actual situation, so I can accept that some people feel it is an advantage. I don't ever recall it being a big deal to me. I also don't remember it ever being discussed as being a factor in  NCAA championship match.,.. i e  my guy would have won if the coin flip went his way. And it seems every other "what if' scenario is discussed

I second this. I actually don’t even really understand why it matters at all. Everyone gets their chance to choose.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Jim L said:

In my first post it was the scenario, but since you want to play semantics, all scenarios can be hypothetical. In very tight matchs between two very close competitors having choice absolutely can effect momentum and 3rd period strategies. 

14 hours ago, Jim L said:

I recall a couple matches so far this year where a guy is down by 1  or tied with choice going into the third, but the other guy has around 45-50 seconds of riding time.  If it was the second period and before the other guy was able to get that RT, maybe he chooses down, but now he chooses neutral.  Of course the 3 point TD also impacts this decision.

On a related note, I feel like more guys don’t defer in the second than I would expect.  I pretty much always deferred unless it was 0-0.

Edited by 1032004

7 hours ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

In my first post it was the scenario, but since you want to play semantics, all scenarios can be hypothetical. In very tight matchs between two very close competitors having choice absolutely can effect momentum and 3rd period strategies. 

No . I don't want to play semantics. I understand how theoretically it could matter. I was asking for people's real life experience.