Brandon Eggum Extended through 2025-26

Ramos couldn't win a spot so he transferred to Purdue.

Nagao li$tened to god and tran$ferred to PSU.

Kerk recommitted from Minny when Gable committed. Wasn't the last time that would happen (OSU, tOSU, PSU).

56 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Name me the one recruit in those two classes that should be tabbed to be a national champion like Gable Steveson was coming out of high school. 

There's usually only one or two sure-fire champs per class. Even then they don't pan out - look at Fix as an example. It's tough to nab p4p #1 and the fact that Minny did it AND delivered should be celebrated, not met with a firing squad. 

And no one answered my question as to who would be a better replacement.

i am an idiot on the internet

Eggum isn't setting the world on fire but is doing just fine. It's a bonus that he's not bringing in thugs or drugs. 

Two more years makes sense - Eggum has a a decent amount of time to prove himself. And there's nobody else out there that could be swapped at the present moment that would be a big difference maker.

It's all good. Two years seems like about the right time to review Minnesota options.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Ramos couldn't win a spot so he transferred to Purdue.

Nagao li$tened to god and tran$ferred to PSU.

Kerk recommitted from Minny when Gable committed. Wasn't the last time that would happen (OSU, tOSU, PSU).

There's usually only one or two sure-fire champs per class. Even then they don't pan out - look at Fix as an example. It's tough to nab p4p #1 and the fact that Minny did it AND delivered should be celebrated, not met with a firing squad. 

And no one answered my question as to who would be a better replacement.

I did. Again Hahn 

6 hours ago, GoGopher said:

No one is saying they are Gable. Not going to continue chasing your goal posts.

Carry on your trolling. Let out your anger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anger. Bahahhahahahahahah. On a wrestling site.  Bye Felicia. 

I'm surprised that Minnesota isn't even ranked...not in the top 30. That's pretty low for a well known program.

Not very good this year. Salazar should AA but also should’ve last year. Losing Nagao really hurt. McKee could do something in the circus that is 125 as he’s a tournament wrestler, but he looks so banged up. Blockhus probably reached his ceiling taking 8th last year and now he’s up a weight.

Then you’ve got a bunch of inexperienced sophomores that can do who knows what, but haven’t done nearly enough to warrant being ranked higher than in the 20’s. I think 141 Vombaur, 149 Roberts, and HWT Tabor will be viewed in a better light by the time big tens rolls around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, MJD said:

I'm surprised that Minnesota isn't even ranked...not in the top 30. That's pretty low for a well known program.

They are around #12 in the coach's poll, which is dual meet ranking.  They are definitely more of a dual team, with all 10 weights ranked, but none currently in the top 8, which is what they base the team tournament rankings on.  Currently 5-0 and barring more injuries, I don't see them losing more than 2 or 3 duals this season.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

They are around #12 in the coach's poll, which is dual meet ranking.  They are definitely more of a dual team, with all 10 weights ranked, but none currently in the top 8, which is what they base the team tournament rankings on.  Currently 5-0 and barring more injuries, I don't see them losing more than 2 or 3 duals this season.

Aha! Thanks for the info!

5 hours ago, MJD said:

Participating is what matters now days.  Winning is just what might come with it if all the duckies  and bunnies align on a nice sunny day.  A proud gophers program has fallen so far that people are defending having all ten wrestlers ranked in the top 33 of their weight classes and a 12th ranked dual team.   It’s really sad.  Please bring Gable back. 

I think that this is a good thing for the Minnesota. Eggum is a good and proven coach. Also this contract is only through 26, which isn’t really that far off. And like all contracts, Minnesota could go in another direction if they chose to. 
But I think that the AD and others already looked at the landscape and came to the conclusion that Eggum was their best option. Now I don’t have any inside information on what the AD and others did in this regard, but I think that with many of these top flight programs your options are probably limited. While I agree with one poster that suggests that some of these excellent assistant coaches who might be a great fit, I don’t know if that particular assistant wants the mantle of head coach at this point in their lives.