Jimmy Carter caused the demise of America

JimmyBT

3 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Jimmy Carter created the modern department of education.  He wanted control over the curriculum.   He didn’t want the focus on standards.   All facts me boy 

Only the first sentence is even remotely close to a fact, and even that is murky because there already was a federal agency that monitored education, he just split it out into it's own agency. The other two, again, are opinions. 

🎶One-ish out 3 ain't bad.🎶

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Only the first sentence is even remotely close to a fact, and even that is murky because there already was a federal agency that monitored education, he just split it out into it's own agency. The other two, again, are opinions. 

🎶One-ish out 3 ain't bad.🎶

And the original agency’s focus was on what compared to President Carters?   

11 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Great, finally a link to some sort of evidence. What exactly are you hoping to cite to from this tour guides website?

6 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Latest PISA scores for 15 year olds. America scores 38th in math, 24 in science and 25 in reading. 

American testing scores and academic achievement started to drop dramatically in the 1960s, and actually rebounded following the establishment of the DoE (but we have never made it back to the 1960s Era scores).

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Great, finally a link to some sort of evidence. What exactly are you hoping to cite to from this tour guides website?

American testing scores and academic achievement started to drop dramatically in the 1960s, and actually rebounded following the establishment of the DoE (but we have never made it back to the 1960s Era scores).

Started to drop drastically right around the time LBJ destroyed the family unit by making it more financially lucrative for dad to leave the household??? 

• Clown 1

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Wouldn’t you think after 4 decades and a budget that’s $73,000,000,000 we’d at least  get back to pre Jimmy Carter era results? .  And then show continuous improvements?  And not have to lower standards ?   

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Wouldn’t you think after 4 decades and a budget that’s $73,000,000,000 we’d at least  get back to pre Jimmy Carter era results? .  And then show continuous improvements?  And not have to lower standards ?   

Sure i wish there were better results (and there are reasons they aren't better, imo), but this is wildly different than "Jimmy Carter caused the demise of America."  Again, the results IMPROVED after Carter's establishment of the DoE.

• Fire 1

You’re failing to take into account the simple fact that other countries developed their economies and governments to fund education at rates similar to ours. If other countries had remained static, we might still be at or near the top. They didn’t, so we didn’t.

Combined with cultures that actually care about education, that’s a recipe for massive improvement in all sectors of academic achievement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Le duke said:

You’re failing to take into account the simple fact that other countries developed their economies and governments to fund education at rates similar to ours. If other countries had remained static, we might still be at or near the top. They didn’t, so we didn’t.

Combined with cultures that actually care about education, that’s a recipe for massive improvement in all sectors of academic achievement.

Call it whatever you want.  For what we invest we don’t get it back in results. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

The USSR invaded Afghanistan and we were suppose to keep up business as usual? Do you see any parallels to Russia of today? 

Granted, the circumstances were not great. We could've aided our farmers more/better to ensure they didn't bare the brunt of foreign policy decisions. That can be said for a bunch of situations in many administrations. 

Can you use this line of reasoning to blame a single person, say a president, for anything else? Iran-Contra, made up war in Iraq that killed untold thousands(maybe millions) of civilians, response to COVID?

If your reasoning doesn't cut both ways then you're being dishonest. Be consistent.

We were talking about Jimmy Carter. It is personal with me. I was 25 at the time. Farmed abut 150 acres in my spare time. I wish I knew ahead of time what they were doing I would have not planted any crops. To say the least it was a very difficult time for myself and other farmers. If you read my other posts I am not a big fan of wars , especially Vietnam. One of Americas biggest blunders . You may have read my son and 3 son in-laws are serving in the military. All fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. Only one of them got injured . By an IED while in a hummer in Iraq. He is doing ok now. I will be happy to answer any of your other questions.

• Fire 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Sure i wish there were better results (and there are reasons they aren't better, imo), but this is wildly different than "Jimmy Carter caused the demise of America."  Again, the results IMPROVED after Carter's establishment of the DoE.

We WERE the best in the world when the dept of education was created.  We’re not even close now.  Not wildly different at all.  

• Haha 1

We WERE the best in the world when the dept of education was created.  We’re not even close now.  Not wildly different at all.  

Maybe the cost of higher education has something to do with that? The generations that had the highest rate of GI Bill usage and lowest tuition had the highest educational attainment. Shocker.

Here’s an article about it from those uber-libs at AARP:

https://blog.aarp.org/bulletin-today/u-s-global-education-rankings-slipping-boomers-once-held-strong-lead

37 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Maybe the cost of higher education has something to do with that? The generations that had the highest rate of GI Bill usage and lowest tuition had the highest educational attainment. Shocker.

https://blog.aarp.org/bulletin-today/u-s-global-education-rankings-slipping-boomers-once-held-strong-lead

And what caused the increase ????

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Le duke said:

And I’m not sure what the cost of college has to do with kids in k-12 not being able to read or write 

• Haha 1

And I’m not sure what the cost of college has to do with kids in k-12 not being able to read or write 

High costs = lack of qualified teachers to teach them.

Teachers used to be able to go to school for very little and have a well paying job when they graduated, with very little or any debt. Now, they have massive debt and are paid very little relative to the cost of living in their school district. So, no one wants to be a teacher anymore. Turnover is incredibly high, particularly among younger teachers. Turns out, crippling debt isn’t what they had in mind when they decided to become a teacher.

• Fire 1