Ironman Preseeds Released

nhs67

41 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

High school wrestling needs to adopt college out of bound rules.  I don't understand why they continue with what they are doing.  

I agree and it's used at most out of season tournaments.

But the reason is simple. A lot of gyms don't have the room off the mat.

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I agree and it's used at most out of season tournaments.

But the reason is simple. A lot of gyms don't have the room off the mat.

They could still let the action continue if one of the wrestlers is in bounds  and close to a takedown or before the edge of the mat is reached (touched by hand or foot).   There are so many takedowns that seem to occur before both wrestlers fully go out of bounds, and these are counted with the early whistle blows. 

Further, many high school guys now wrestle freestyle  as well, and the rules about takedowns are completely different (e.g, finishing out of bounds and even off the mat with a move that started inside or on it.)   

Simple solution:  bigger mats.   I don't know if there is any empirical information on average high school gym size, but certainly some (many) gyms can allow for an additional few feet of mat attached the already small mats.

Wrestling is often way too slow (and too conservative) to sensibly and constructively update the sport: e.g., singlets, mat size, hair cuts, allowing girls to compete, scoring problems, etc.  It might be changing incrementally, but it seems at times still stuck in a 1950's administrative mindset while the wrestlers themselves (and the wrestling) move along much faster: funk, recourse to videos for training, the increase in clubs, and so on.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:55 PM, Paul158 said:

I remember watching the number one ranked 171 pounder in the country from ST Eds wrestling in the finals against an unknown freshman from Monroeville and getting thoroughly beaten. 

I wouldn't have considered Phillips was unknown freshman. Kid came into Monroeville with a lot of pop and was a dominant Fargo champ earlier that summer. 

Insert catchy tagline here. 

11 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Simple solution:  bigger mats.   I don't know if there is any empirical information on average high school gym size, but certainly some (many) gyms can allow for an additional few feet of mat attached the already small mats.

Some, yes. All, no.

Dual meets can probably handle it. Tournaments are the problem.

A few years back (5?), a kid from NC was seriously hurt running into the wall because there was no buffer off the mat. This wasn't using college rules but that would have been even worse.

Now all this having been said, I think using college ob rules might need to be couple with college edge of mat stalling. Probably helps keep kids momentum from running off.

14 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Quite a number of years ago there was a high school tournament in Watkins Glen, NY.  For the finals they brought out practice mats or mats from other schools and made what they called "the biggest mat in the East".  It was huge and great because there were very, very few OOBs.  One year the final at 215 was Isaiah Kacyvenski (later a linebacker at Seattle Seahawks) and some kid from Long Island that also had a D1 full ride in football.  That was about half wrestling match and half full speed tackling drill with almost no breaks.
A buddy who still lives in the area said the tournament no longer exists because the Watkins Glen coach was tent camping at the top of the glen one night with some buddies and some adult beverages, got up in the middle of the night to... well you know... and was found the next morning at the bottom of the ravine.  Maybe not such a bad way to go, I don't know. 

21 hours ago, Paul158 said:

Are you related to Chris?. I'm from Ohio and wrestled in the early 70's . Then I wrestled in College. Followed my Nephew when he wrestled at Walsh and Penn State. I've followed Ohio wrestling for close to 50 years now.  I'm very familiar with the Monroeville 4. Pretty amazing accomplishments./

Is your nephew Jeff Knupp or Clint Musser?

17 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

I wouldn't have considered Phillips was unknown freshman. Kid came into Monroeville with a lot of pop and was a dominant Fargo champ earlier that summer. 

He might have been a little bit under the radar as a freshman. He may have only had 6 or 7 high school matches before he got on the mat at the Ironman. But they knew who he was by the end of the tournament. 

• Fire 1