College Football Playoff

WrestlingRasta

Under the argument they're using on ESPN, why wouldn't Georgia be over FSU also? Hell, why rank FSU in the top 6 at all? Totally inconsistent just to get to a desired result.

College football fans can miss me forever with their "college is better because ALL the games matter" argument from here on out.

My point, @WrestlingRasta, is that last week Bama needed a miracle to beat Auburn.  They struggled mightily against A&M, Arkansas, and USF, all mediocre to bad teams.  This week they were great, no doubt, but it's not supposed to be a one week sport.  They looked very bad literally LAST WEEK.

27 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Under the argument they're using on ESPN, why wouldn't Georgia be over FSU also? Hell, why rank FSU in the top 6 at all? Totally inconsistent just to get to a desired result.

College football fans can miss me forever with their "college is better because ALL the games matter" argument from here on out.

My point, @WrestlingRasta, is that last week Bama needed a miracle to beat Auburn.  They struggled mightily against A&M, Arkansas, and USF, all mediocre to bad teams.  This week they were great, no doubt, but it's not supposed to be a one week sport.  They looked very bad literally LAST WEEK.

I don’t disagree they had to squeak out games they were favored to win by more. I have no agenda here. I’m just saying based on the way this thing is written up, I agree with exactly how the final shaked out. 

I completely disagree this was a one week decision. We’ll just have to agree to disagree on that. 

45 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

College football fans can miss me forever with their "college is better because ALL the games matter" argument from here on out  

My point, @WrestlingRasta, is that last week Bama needed a miracle to beat Aubu  They struggled mightily against A&M, Arkansas, and USF, all mediocre to bad teams.  This week they were great, no doubt, but it's not supposed to be a one week sport.  They looked very bad literally LAST WEEK.

Given that context, does FSU’s 2 point win over 6-6 Boston College; being taken to the depths by 5-7 Florida;  an overtime win against an unranked team, etc. do those games count in the everything counts context too? 

30 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Given that context, does FSU’s 2 point win over 6-6 Boston College; being taken to the depths by 5-7 Florida;  an overtime win against an unranked team, etc. do those games count in the everything counts context too? 

It would, except Bama has similar results on their ledger, AND a loss, and came much closer to losing against an equivalent Auburn team [who just got blown out by New Mexico State] than FSU came to losing Florida.

24 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It would, except Bama has similar results on their ledger, AND a loss, and came much closer to losing against an equivalent Auburn team [who just got blown out by New Mexico State] than FSU came to losing Florida.

And round and round we go. And that’s my biggest point. There’s good arguments both sides, there’s bad arguments on both sides. 

At the end of the day this group of 13 people who watched a hell of a lot more of these teams than we did took that whole package and put out their consensus top four. I felt the same way, others did not. This one is going to be a debate for years to come, even if bama wins the whole thing. 

14 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

And round and round we go. And that’s my biggest point. There’s good arguments both sides, there’s bad arguments on both sides. 

At the end of the day this group of 13 people who watched a hell of a lot more of these teams than we did took that whole package and put out their consensus top four. I felt the same way, others did not. This one is going to be a debate for years to come, even if bama wins the whole thing. 

What is the bad argument FOR FSU?

4 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

They will be playing Georgia on Dec 30th. Honest opinion ,how do you think FSU will do.

No idea, I'm not sure who will bother playing, the game means nothing and many of FSUs best players are draft eligible.

ETA: also, that's the reason they play the games. Why did they bother to play the SEC championship game?  UGA was a goodly favorite. 

Edited by VakAttack

28 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

That being undefeated goes above all 

For literally all of college football history,  this is true.

26 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

That playing without one of the best players in the nation shouldn’t be a factor. (Even though it is written in the protocols)

Nobody has ever said it shouldn't be a factor, this is a huge strawman.

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

For literally all of college football history,  this is true.

Nobody has ever said it shouldn't be a factor, this is a huge strawman.

I have literally heard network people on TV say today that FSU should not be penalized because of the injury. It is not a straw man, it is an actual argument being made by people. 

College football is also loaded with undefeated teams not being part of the championship format. Fortunately we won’t have to worry about that anymore. 

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I have literally heard network people on TV say today that FSU should not be penalized because of the injury. It is not a straw man, it is an actual argument being made by people. 

College football is also loaded with undefeated teams not being part of the championship format. Fortunately we won’t have to worry about that anymore. 

From the CFP website.

Screenshot_20231203-223948_Chrome~2.jpg

6 hours ago, VakAttack said:

From the CFP website.

Screenshot_20231203-223948_Chrome~2.jpg

Thanks. Since you circled the paragraph  that we’re all aware of with red, I guess I was wrong. There haven’t in fact been a bunch of undefeated teams left out of the championship format. 🤦🏻‍♂️

But why didn’t you circle the next paragraph where it says “based on the members evaluation of performance on the field”.   Why doesn’t it say based on their win/loss record???

I don’t think we need to go on further. You believe they got it wrong. I agree with them based in the protocols written.  Not sure what else needs to be said. 

I never thought the 4 team play-off was a good idea. You have 5 conference champions. The conferences are not equal in strength. The football team schedules are not equal. The only logical fix was to have a minimum of 8 teams. The 5 conference champs and 3 wild cards. Which they should have gone to after the first year. Now we will have 12 teams. But its a day late and a dollar short.

This process is interesting to me.  I'm not a cfb fan, but I think the discussion here is a fair representation of the selection committee's thought processes.  Some of the comments and I assume committee decisions are antithetical to how sports work.  Margin of victory is meaningless.  Anybody else remember how much better David Taylor is than Kyle Dake, and why?

• Fire 2

19 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

This process is interesting to me.  I'm not a cfb fan, but I think the discussion here is a fair representation of the selection committee's thought processes.  Some of the comments and I assume committee decisions are antithetical to how sports work.  Margin of victory is meaningless.  Anybody else remember how much better David Taylor is than Kyle Dake, and why?

It’s been a pretty cool evolution really, from the AP to the BCS to the expanding  playoff.  The sad thing about the new format is all the intrigue that will be lost from this past Saturday. In the new format, Oregon, Georgia and FSU are all in. Not saying it’s a bad thing for college football, just a bad thing for championship Saturday. 

• Fire 1