The REAL US Open starts tonight

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

I won my AG in triathlons many times with a margin of victory smaller than my lead coming out of the water.  Sucks to be you.  🙂

I beat a guy who lost to Mark Spitz, it was however a bike event.  Same guy was expected to win a tough Tri event, instead got 2nd to some new comer teenage punk name Lance A something.  

Edited by ionel
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

One thing I noticed watching is because this is the end of an Olympic cycle a lot of the top swimmers are training hard through this meet, so they are well off their best times, as expected. Swimmers that do not expect to make the Olympic team might taper for this event, so you get some results that do not match seeds (based on best times).

But as for this guys methods, I am confused. Why is he multiplying every other pair by -1? Got me. So I am not really sure what he is showing.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

27 minutes ago, mspart said:

Swimming Schwimminig.   😄

mspart

My planned response was to show that Katie Ledecky's lead grew at ever 50 in the 1500, but I was foiled because she was so far head at the 600 that they could not keep her and second place in the camera frame at the same time.

Imagine a wrestler who won every second of a 16 minute match.

Now imagine anyone actually sitting through watching a 16 minute swim. Sigh.

• Fire 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:31 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

More importantly, I am very upset that I have to be at a surprise 60th birthday party right when the fastest 1500 heats are starting.

Can you still surprise a 60 yr old.  Are we surprised you are attending a 60 yr old's party?  😯

Now, more importantly. Let's talk Bobby Finke. The contrast in styles with Katie Ledecky could not be more stark. Ledecky had the fastest start meaning she lead for every inch of the race and increased her lead over every inch of the race. 

Finke is the king of the negative split and coming from behind for the win. His splits for the three 500s were 5:04, 5:03, 4:57. It is like he has a motor boat up his butt on the last 50. Trailing by about a half second at the 1450, he wins by >1 second. Awesome to watch.