Generational Recruits

Lleynor

20 hours ago, Wrestej said:

I thought Steiber was generational but everyone pretty much knew he was going to tOSU.  Pico, ahh, what could have been?

Steiber wasn't even the top recruit or prospect on his own HS Wrestling team...

He was a GREAT Wrestler and recruit, but if we're really talking generational, probably not.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, scourge165 said:

Phillips was...incredible.

To dominate in Ohio like that...for 4 years at 171(I thought he was at '71 all 4)...but he's one of those guys who was a "generational," type prospect. 

It's kinda changing now as that criteria has grown so much, so many more U20 World Champs or HS Wrestlers coming in and beating elite College Wrestlers.

I'd say the top names that come to my mind are Fried and Kolat...two guys who were just doing unprecedented things in HS, Mocco, Phillips in my mind was one of those guys. 

Those are the guys I'd put in that NEXT level. Oh, Chance Marstellar also. Glad to see him thriving now. 

Great points.  With the "generational" label the list should be short.  Even with Marstellar there were question marks on him coming into college.  Why I would never put him on the list.  Surprised @Husker_Duhasn't chimed in.  He would be the authority on this subject more than anyone else I can think of

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

16 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Disagree here, Steiber was the biggest name and best recruit.  You can argue after fresh or maybe sophomore year Phililps may have been at his level or bigger, but imo by the time he graduated he was losing some of his luster as a recruit. 

13 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Wrestled with Alan on an All Star team back in the day.  He's one of my all time Ohio best. Generational indeed.

Phillips won IM as a true freshman at 71. Had one HS loss to Ruth.  I've always thought he avenged the loss, but I've never found it. 

Yeah...I know a Soph Phillips lost a 3-2 match to a Sr Ruth at the Ironman and now working it out, I can't think of where they'd have seen each other. Phillips DID Wrestle a few larger Tournaments. Did he maybe beat him at Sr Nationals?

IN any event, he was at 171, a Soph, lost a close match to a guy who went 3/1/1/1. I don't think it's disqualifying even if he didn't get him back, but it's one of those things I'd have bet money he did avenge that match, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it was the other way around? Could Ruth have lost and then avenged it?

2 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

He would be the authority on this subject more than anyone else I can think of

He's only like mid forties, so what's that give him? Maybe twenty years of following? He's the authority in the last fifteen years or so.:classic_smile:

No slight to Willie, but there are a bunch of old timers around here...

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Phillips was...incredible.

To dominate in Ohio like that...for 4 years at 171(I thought he was at '71 all 4)...but he's one of those guys who was a "generational," type prospect. 

It's kinda changing now as that criteria has grown so much, so many more U20 World Champs or HS Wrestlers coming in and beating elite College Wrestlers.

I'd say the top names that come to my mind are Fried and Kolat...two guys who were just doing unprecedented things in HS, Mocco, Phillips in my mind was one of those guys. 

Those are the guys I'd put in that NEXT level. Oh, Chance Marstellar also. Glad to see him thriving now. 

Phillips and Chance may have been generational 8th grade/FR talents.  If I remember correctly Chance beat a PA state champ as an 8th grader and Phillips beat a nationally ranked #2 wrestler as a 171 lb FR by a comfortable margin.  By the time both were Seniors they were still top recruits and 4X champs, but some questions were being raised. Hard to live up to expectations when you are that dominant that early

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

He was a GREAT Wrestler and recruit, but if we're really talking generational, probably not.

Both were great no doubt.  I just put Stieber ahead by a bit.