Mike Johnson - Speaker of the House

mspart

16 hours ago, ionel said:

and some would suggest lets just have civil unions and give them all the tax etc benefits of current marriage.  Is anything wrong with that in a free civil society?

Its just a contract with the local, state, and federal government. Is the name that important? We currently have a name for it. Why change it if the THING isn't fundamentally changing? 

17 hours ago, jross said:

That's a common opinion, unfortunately.

I have 9 nieces and nephews that disagree with you.

The plural of anecdote is not data. You can't or shouldn't extrapolate your small set of data points to the whole population. Its irresponsible and a bit lazy. Makes you feel good, but that's not the point. 

15 hours ago, jross said:

Married parents with kids should never be trapped in a (sustained) unhappy or harmful relationship. But what about other reasons for unhappiness like boredom or financial stress? It's not selfish to seek happiness, but it's important to consider your children's well-being. Choose daily to commit to your spouse and prioritize your children. Unhappiness is temporary; it too shall pass.  Emotional damage to children may never pass.

To walk out on one's spouse and children because you 'feel like it?'   Selfish and damaging.

Straw man: you've created a scenario that is easy to defeat in order to bolster your point. 

Do ALL no-fault divorces fall within the scope of your scenario? No. So it is disingenuous for you to site it as a legitimate reason to oppose the thing, across the board. This is the same as the late term abortion argument. If you have stat of how many people just peace out on their spouse and kids because they feel like it. I'd love to see it. But I feel that 'rosy' picture you've painted is a very small segment of the pie that your are grasping on to. In a desperate attempt to make your point sound more appealing. Hearsay is not usually admissible. 

Guilting someone into staying in a situation where they are unhappy when an alternative is easily accessible and preferable, is abusive and traumatic.  Seems like you're perfectly fine being responsible for that. Not sure the people living with similar trauma would be so keen to join you. 

To those against the idea of waiting periods that encourage couples with minor children to take time for reflection and consideration before finalizing a divorce...

Y'all never seen impulsive decisions made when someone is in a state of fury?  

The majority of countries have waiting periods.

The happiest countries have waiting periods.

Y'all know why the US government gives perks to married folks?

The deterioration and never-was of the family contribute to so many issues in this country.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, jross said:

To those against the idea of waiting periods that encourage couples with minor children to take time for reflection and consideration before finalizing a divorce...

Y'all never seen impulsive decisions made when someone is in a state of fury?  

The majority of countries have waiting periods.

The happiest countries have waiting periods.

Y'all know why the US government gives perks to married folks?

The deterioration and never-was of the family contribute to so many issues in this country.

Waiting periods already exist

It is not the divorce that causes the issues.  It is the substance abuse, physical and mental abuse, neglect, narcissism and myriad of other behaviors that result in the divorce that causes the problems.   Additionally, some divorces result in a workable solution for all involved.

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

It is not the divorce that causes the issues.  It is the substance abuse, physical and mental abuse, neglect, narcissism and myriad of other behaviors that result in the divorce that causes the problems.   Additionally, some divorces result in a workable solution for all involved.

Agree 100% with this ^^^.

Separately, when minors are involved, no abuse, and the divorce is not consensual, society should support policies like waiting periods and education to potentially save the family.  

There is a guy (retired B52 pilot) staying at my house right now who has been good friends with Mike Johnson for years (their kids have been friends since kindergarten) and said he is a super guy.  Guess he is absolutely brilliant in terms of constitutional law.  I don't know a ton about his politics but learning a lot this week while the guy is here...not sure I agree with his stance on some of the stuff but overall, he sounds like a stand-up dude.  And like always, he sure doesn't sound like what some media outlets make him out to be.

• Fire 1

26 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

He has a long trail of social media posts, websites, associations, statements and publications.  More than enough to assess his character.

Intelligent, Articulate, Conviction, Confident, and Christian biblical advocate.

The last point is polarizing even to people who identify as 'Christian.' 

• Example: 'Christian' women that support the right to choose elective abortion (not ready to be mom)
  • Example: Christians who believe same-sex couples have a right to marriage

Apparently, the speaker is broke.

Which situation between dramatic wealth gains and financial instability is more concerning?

• Pelosi's Increasing Wealth = corrupt, conflict of interests, inequal representation 
  • Johnson Poorness = inability to manage basic necessities and sound decision-making

1 hour ago, jross said:

Apparently, the speaker is broke.

Which situation between dramatic wealth gains and financial instability is more concerning?

• Pelosi's Increasing Wealth = corrupt, conflict of interests, inequal representation 
  • Johnson Poorness = inability to manage basic necessities and sound decision-making

Interesting biased situations you gratuitously and arbitrarily generate.

3 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

He has a long trail of social media posts, websites, associations, statements and publications.  More than enough to assess his character.

So now this is how we base people's character nowadays!?!?   Social media is truly the downfall of our society....or is the people who let what they read on social media determine what they think of people they never have ever met??

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Bigbrog said:

So now this is how we base people's character nowadays!?!?   Social media is truly the downfall of our society....or is the people who let what they read on social media determine what they think of people they never have ever met??

Yes.  We assess the person third in line to POTUS - that 99.9% of us didn't vote for and in fact was 5th choice - on the record he created.  That will result in conclusions of all kinds, BTW.

13 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Yes.  We assess the person third in line to POTUS - that 99.9% of us didn't vote for and in fact was 5th choice - on the record he created.  That will result in conclusions of all kinds, BTW.

Agreed.  

image.png.9d8d3eba4213294a7d04c5983f80016c.png

2 hours ago, jross said:

Intelligent, Articulate, Conviction, Confident, and Christian biblical advocate.

The last point is polarizing even to people who identify as 'Christian.' 

• Example: 'Christian' women that support the right to choose elective abortion (not ready to be mom)
  • Example: Christians who believe same-sex couples have a right to marriage

Is it a good thing to have strong conviction in a belief? Might that make you less likely to be open to changing your mind if/when new or contradictory information is presented as true? 

1 hour ago, Bigbrog said:

All models are wrong but some have value. 

Do all his social media posts reflect his current opinions on the issues? Probably not. Then he should address them or be open to being questioned about them. Because a guy who was all but invisible a few weeks ago is now second in line to be President, he should be more then willing to be open and honest about where he falls on the issues. Will he? Probably not. They're not huge on honesty, despite being christian. 

37 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Why? Granted she won't be there for much longer. I admit getting new blood in congress is important but she's done a great job. Which I feel might be one of your concerns, deep down. 

She has been in congress 36 years.  And she isn't even a boomer.

4 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

So, that's your answer? 

How does her age and length of time in congress make you feel? 

It makes me feel she has had 36 years to make her ideas happen and she ran out of fresh ones decades ago. It makes me feel she is the poster child for term limits.  It makes me feel sick to my stomach that the incumbent re-election rate is so high, which makes me think we need campaign finance reform.

• Fire 1